Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #21961
View in linear mode

Subject: "Zoo Gorilla" Previous topic | Next topic
reddish Registered since 26th Mar 2006Wed 16-Jan-08 01:27 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Zoo Gorilla"

GB

The attached is taken with a D200 on a tripod using a sigma 70-200 and 2x converter. I haven't received my remote yet for this camera. So the shot was taken "manually" and not on the timer as the gorilla would have moved on by the time the min 2 sec went by.

The lenses were purchsaed as my previous D70 set up, I believe now I need to invest in a nikkor lens and have been advised that the Nikkor 70-200 with VR will help considerably.

ALso the exposure, using spot, I attempted to focus on the eyes etc but as u can see this handsome chap is difficult to catch his eye. I have messed around with levels etc and this seems to flatten and lose some of the colour.

Advice on lens and expousre and post processing would be appreciated. Also would using flash help, but I am concerend about using direct flash with animals.

The web site of the local zoo; Island of Jersey. " Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust".

http://www.durrellwildlife.org/index.cfm?a=21

Graeme

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberSun 14-May-06 07:31 AM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Zoo Gorilla"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

Hi Graeme,

Spot metering is often used for tricky shots where you have to deal with very bright or very dark subjects. I guess you metered on the gorilla which is too dark compared to mid-gray. Because the in-camera little computer is programmed to show EVERYTHING as mid-gray (even black and white), your almost black gorilla will be rendered as grey. Therefore, if you meter on the black gorilla, you should dial in -1 upto -1,7 stops of compensation (the little +/- button) to correct the camera's decision. An easier trick is to meter on a neutral tone (a mid-gray value like grass, foliage, grey rocks, red roof tiles, etc.). Lock that reading and recompose.

>I attempted to focus on the
>eyes etc but as u can see this handsome chap is difficult to
>catch his eye.

Sometimes, manual focusing works better and faster .

>I have messed around with levels etc and this
>seems to flatten and lose some of the colour.

It's ok to use levels, but curves gives you more controll. Also make sure your monitor is more or less calibrated. A cheap way (if you have Photoshop) is using "Adobe Gamma".

>Advice on lens...

Wildlife photography IS expensive because you need big glass. I can highly recommend the 80-400 VR which has a very useful zoom range and 400mm is more than enough to tackle most wildlife subjects.

>... and post processing would be appreciated.

Mastering Photoshop is complicated. Start with a good book that explains the basics like "Photoshop for dummies" (weird name, but it explains the basics very well and in a humorous way ). A little tip: read the book while sitting in front of your computer and try everything you read immediately out.

>Also would using flash help, but I am
>concerend about using direct flash with animals.

Flash helps on bright days to eliminate harsh shadows but when you're in a zoo, check first if you're allowed because sometimes, it is prohibited.

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #21961 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.