nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #184361
View in linear mode

Subject: "Beat It!!" Previous topic | Next topic
rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Mon 25-Aug-14 11:47 PM
1548 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Beat It!!"

Denver, US

This hyena was not about to share any of the Cape Buffalo carcass with the White Backed Vulture that had flown in. Taken with a D4 and 80-400 at f/5.6, 1/640 and Auto ISO at 1600.

Here's a bit of a back story. Two days earlier, the vehicle we were in was charged by this Buffalo. The tracker and guide both stood up, clapped their hands and shouted, which was enough to stop the charge. As the Buffalo left, we noticed that the animal was limping badly and that its left rear leg had a deep gash and was also very swollen.

A short time later, shots were heard in the area of the stricken Buffalo. Subsequently, we learned that it had charged a walking party and was shot by the guide. A sad event, yet likely less painful and prolonged than being taken down by a pride of lions which was the most likely outcome. Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Beat It!!
IainD Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
25th Aug 2014
Rassie Silver Member
26th Aug 2014
Kipmm Silver Member
26th Aug 2014
dwr857 Silver Member
26th Aug 2014
rbsandor Gold Member
26th Aug 2014
pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
26th Aug 2014
AartPapaya Silver Member
26th Aug 2014
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
26th Aug 2014
rbsandor Gold Member
27th Aug 2014
kippford Silver Member
27th Aug 2014
freedomfarm Silver Member
30th Aug 2014
rbsandor Gold Member
30th Aug 2014
professorune
30th Aug 2014
jrtx Silver Member
30th Aug 2014
rbsandor Gold Member
01st Sep 2014
mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
02nd Sep 2014
Lunastar Silver Member
02nd Sep 2014
jtmcg Gold Member
02nd Sep 2014
turenne
02nd Sep 2014
rbsandor Gold Member
02nd Sep 2014
ctdrummer Silver Member
03rd Sep 2014
vcottman Silver Member
03rd Sep 2014

IainD Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st May 2013Mon 25-Aug-14 11:50 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Canterbury, AU

The hyena has a very mean set of teeth! I think I would let him go for it too, even if I could fly!
Really good shot. Send it to National Geographic!
IainD

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Tue 26-Aug-14 12:16 AM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Milton, CA

Great action shot.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Kipmm Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2013Tue 26-Aug-14 02:47 AM
943 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver Island, CA

What a stunning shot Richard ..
Well done capturing that action.

kip

Visit

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/25361

dwr857 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2014Tue 26-Aug-14 02:51 AM
591 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 3

Winston Salem, US

This picture is so good it almost looks like a painting! Incredible shot!

Don

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Tue 26-Aug-14 02:34 PM
1548 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 26-Aug-14 02:35 PM by rbsandor

Denver, US

Iain, Rassie, Kip and Don: many thanks for looking and commenting. It is appreciated. Richard

pqtrths Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 02nd May 2007Tue 26-Aug-14 03:31 PM
776 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Dublin, CA, US

Richard:

Stunning photo. I agree with Iain -send it to Geographic ao any decent wildlife magazine.

Mp

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Tue 26-Aug-14 07:26 PM
2973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

This is an outstanding shot with very good light. Your timing was spot on.

Aart

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009Tue 26-Aug-14 09:41 PM
384 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Calgary, CA

Well captured with tough subjects. None of these critters are designed to be seen, and as such, make for tough subjects! You definitely captured the moment. Keep them coming,
Turbo

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 27-Aug-14 04:59 PM
#9. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Thanks guys for your comments. They are appreciated. Richard

kippford Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2012Wed 27-Aug-14 08:36 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 9

falkirk, UK

That is one of the best wildlife shots I have ever seen.

freedomfarm Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013Sat 30-Aug-14 11:50 AM
593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Great photo and a great capture. It reminds me of something you might see in a natural history museum. Nice work.

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Sat 30-Aug-14 02:37 PM
#12. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Kippford and Steve: many thanks for your comments. They are appreciated. Richard

professorune Registered since 08th Jun 2013Sat 30-Aug-14 02:57 PM
601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

HK

Fantastic shot of predators in action.

jrtx Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2009Sat 30-Aug-14 05:13 PM
118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

What a wonderful shot of nature in action! Well done.

Jeannean

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Mon 01-Sep-14 08:15 PM
#15. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

P:rofessoreuno and JRTX: thank you for your comments. Richard

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Tue 02-Sep-14 01:28 PM
4537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Nice action shot.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 02-Sep-14 01:37 PM
3320 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 16

Mankato, US

Well done action and behavioral image!

Mark

jtmcg Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Mar 2007Tue 02-Sep-14 01:52 PM
4003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Simsbury, US

Outstanding action shot.

John

turenne Registered since 21st May 2014Tue 02-Sep-14 11:18 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Vińa del Mar, CL

Best shot I have seen in many months.
Saludos desde Chile

Jorge Turenne
Reiki Master

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Tue 02-Sep-14 11:55 PM
#20. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Larry, Lunastar, john and Jorge: many thanks for taking the time to look and comment. It is appreciated.
Here's a bit more back story. I visited the buffalo carcass over a 3 day period and sat for quite a while during each visit. It wasn't until the 3rd morning when the hyena interacted with the vulture that was flying in. Although I hit the shutter button as fast as I could while watching through the viewfinder, I was still only able to get 3 frames off before the action stopped. Luckily, I got this one. Richard

ctdrummer Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Wed 03-Sep-14 03:20 AM
225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Southern CT, US

Excellent capture! I agree that it looks like a painting, or actually, one of those dioramas you see in a museum!

Where was it taken?

Patrick

Visit My Nikonians Gallery.

Visit My web page.

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 03-Sep-14 03:41 AM
7465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Beat It!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

This is one of the best wildlife images I have ever seen. The intensity of the moment is graphically displayed and preserved. Great job!

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #184361 Previous topic | Next topic