Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #184275
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wildlife of the Dakotas" Previous topic | Next topic
esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sat 23-Aug-14 04:35 PM
11722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wildlife of the Dakotas"

McAllen, US

I just got back from a 7 day tour of SW South Dakota with Larry Anderson (mnbuilder49). It was a great trip and my first time in the area, and my first try at using a Nikkor Telephoto lens. Larry, being a great host, let me borrow his 200-400 f/4. Man, that was a lot of fun. Thanks Larry - I'll be in the market for a big lens soon and spending money that I don't currently have. I think Larry passed on a serious case of NAS. .

Anyway, here is my first attempt at shooting wildlife with a true wildlife lens. Both the Pronghorn buck and the Rocky Mountain Bighorn ram were shot using my D4, the aforementioned 200-400 with my TC 1.7x teleconverter (650 mm equivalent). The buck was shot through the window of the vehicle using it as a rest, the ram using my Gitzo tripod and a Kirk BH-1 ball head (no gimbal). Shutter Speed Priority, f/6.7, 1/500 sec., ISO 560 - using Auto ISO. I would guess the pronghorn was at about 30 yards distant while the ram was a good 100 yards away.

Ernesto Santos
esartprints.com Ernesto Santos Photography

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas
Asgard Administrator
23rd Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
24th Aug 2014
dm1dave Administrator
23rd Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
24th Aug 2014
mnbuilder49 Moderator
23rd Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
24th Aug 2014
tekneektom Gold Member
23rd Aug 2014
Matthew Gregory Silver Member
23rd Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
24th Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
24th Aug 2014
jrp Administrator
23rd Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
24th Aug 2014
JonK Moderator
24th Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
24th Aug 2014
jrp Administrator
24th Aug 2014
owl Platinum Member
25th Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
25th Aug 2014
amijami
29th Aug 2014
JonK Moderator
30th Aug 2014
freedomfarm Silver Member
30th Aug 2014
jrtx Silver Member
30th Aug 2014
photogramps
30th Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
31st Aug 2014
dwr857 Silver Member
31st Aug 2014
JonK Moderator
31st Aug 2014
esantos Moderator
01st Sep 2014
walkerr Administrator
01st Sep 2014
esantos Moderator
02nd Sep 2014
Lunastar Silver Member
02nd Sep 2014

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Sat 23-Aug-14 04:47 PM
51744 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Nice images

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 24-Aug-14 01:32 AM
11722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 1

McAllen, US

Thanks Gerold!

Ernesto Santos

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 23-Aug-14 04:56 PM
11598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice work!

That part of SD has some good shooting opportunities. I would like to get back out there soon.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 24-Aug-14 01:33 AM
#9. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 2

McAllen, US

Hi Dave, Thanks and yes SD was great, lots of stuff to shoot.

Ernesto Santos

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Sat 23-Aug-14 06:50 PM
4176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Nice, sharp images. That lens and tc combination worked remarkably well. I think as long as you aren't out to infinity it works beautifully. Nice composition on the shot of the ram.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 24-Aug-14 01:34 AM
#10. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 3

McAllen, US

Thanks Larry. I'm surprised the lens/TC combo worked so well too.

Ernesto Santos

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Sat 23-Aug-14 07:02 PM
1902 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Wonderful images! I particularly like the pronghorn.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Matthew Gregory Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2011Sat 23-Aug-14 08:40 PM
192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 4

Glenwood, US

Spectacular shots!!! Love the ram - definitely my favorite of the two, not to slight the pronghorn...

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 24-Aug-14 01:35 AM
#12. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 5

McAllen, US

Thanks Matthew!

Ernesto Santos

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 24-Aug-14 01:35 AM
#11. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 4

McAllen, US

Thanks Tom! I like the Pronghorn too. I hunted them often when I was younger, they are not very easy to bag.

Ernesto Santos

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 23-Aug-14 08:40 PM
34756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Hurrah!
Great shots, Ernesto.
Aside from other attributes, the detail of the first one is remarkable.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 24-Aug-14 01:38 AM
#13. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 6

McAllen, US

Many thanks Ramon! I was astonished by the detail of the Pronghorn as well. BTW, he was so close that this is almost a full size image - I only cropped about 10% to make for a little tighter framing.

Ernesto Santos

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 24-Aug-14 01:20 AM
4848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Nice shots, Ernesto. Now we can watch to see if you got truly bitten by the wildlife bug — then NAS truly gets out of hand. A 2004-400, a 600…

There are great bird-shooting ranches down in Starr County…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 24-Aug-14 01:41 AM
#14. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 7

McAllen, US

Thanks Jon. Oh, I'm bitten for sure. I'm already looking around the house to see what I can sell to raise money. I was staring at my wife's wedding ring today - she looked me in the eye and said, "Don't even!"

Yes, I know about the birding places, more justification for a new lens.

Ernesto Santos

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 24-Aug-14 04:01 AM
34756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 7

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yes, Jon.
That is why I am attempting a single step jump, with a 500mm f/4

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

owl Platinum Member Nikonian since 25th Jun 2002Mon 25-Aug-14 06:23 PM
7416 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Two wonderful shots! I'm really getting the bug for
a shooting trip.... Just can't decide where.

But I'm still making do with my 80-400VR. ;)

You've got NAS!!!

- Lela

"If you ever drop your camera
into a river of molten lava,
let it go because, man, it's gone."

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 25-Aug-14 08:50 PM
#17. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 16

McAllen, US

Hi Lela,

Thanks for the kind comments. I know what you mean about the "itch" for a shooting trip. The minute I'm back I'm already thinking about the next one.

Ernesto Santos

amijami Registered since 23rd Jul 2013Fri 29-Aug-14 12:57 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Beautiful shot, the second one is slightly overexposed

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 30-Aug-14 01:25 PM
4848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 18

New York, US

Exposure is subjective, and a well-captured image can be processed for any number of looks. Given Ernesto’s expertise in post processing, I’m pretty sure this light, ethereal appearance wa deliberate.

Jon Kandel

freedomfarm Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013Sat 30-Aug-14 11:04 AM
571 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Very nice photos, good work.

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

jrtx Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jun 2009Sat 30-Aug-14 04:17 PM
95 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Very nice! I know about borrowing a lens or camera and then NAS sets in big time!

Jeannean

“Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.” - Albert Einstein

photogramps Registered since 30th Aug 2014Sat 30-Aug-14 07:41 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 21

GB

I like the shot of the ram, well composed and looks good

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Sun 31-Aug-14 04:31 PM
#23. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Thanks for the comments everyone. A little bit about the processing choices for the ram image. I think I was stretching the limits of my severely limited skills and experience with a long lens - this was the very first time I had ever used a Nikkor 200-400 mm. And since I had a 1.7x teleconverter, and the ram was a good ~125 yards away the images I got were a little soft. On top of this the light was very dull with most of the sky overcast. As I worked on this image I decided to go a little lighter because every time I tried to add more contrast the dark areas would just clog up. The only way to add some impact to the very bland base exposure was to boost the highlights. Looking at this with a very critical eye you could say that the white rump and the tops of the curved horns might be just at the precipice of falling off the edge of the highlights end of the histogram.

Ernesto Santos

dwr857 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2014Sun 31-Aug-14 04:34 PM
262 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 23

Winston Salem, US

Very nice photos! Well done!

Don

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 31-Aug-14 04:41 PM
#25. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 23
Mon 01-Sep-14 03:59 PM by JonK

New York, US

Random replies:

• The 200-400 with the TC17 is a bit soft
• The 200-400 at distance is a bit soft
• Try PP in Lightroom and the shadows won’t clog up …
• Now that I’ve got you in LR, place the radial filter on the ram and add underexposure and/or contrast and/or etc. to the background.
• Got the Nik collection? The various contract filters might solve the problem

It”s a fine photo just the way it is. And if you gave the RAW file to five of us, you’d get back five different renderings…

Jon Kandel

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Mon 01-Sep-14 03:48 PM
#26. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

McAllen, US

Jon,

Thanks for the tips. Not much of a LR user I use ACR mostly, but I'll give it a try. Yes, your are right about the 200-400 mm. It is a little soft at distance but up close it is a great performer.

Ernesto Santos

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Mon 01-Sep-14 04:02 PM
14683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

Nice shots, Ernesto!

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

esantos Moderator Nikonians Resources Writer. Recognized for his outstanding reviews on printers and printing articles. Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas, including Landscape Photography Awarded for his extraordinary accomplishments in Landscape Photography. His work has been exhibited at the Smithsonian. Nikonian since 10th Nov 2002Tue 02-Sep-14 12:03 AM
#28. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 27

McAllen, US

Thank you Rick.

Ernesto Santos

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 02-Sep-14 12:39 PM
3220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Wildlife of the Dakotas"
In response to Reply # 28

Mankato, US

Very nice-I really like the pronghorn image!

Mark

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #184275 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.