Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #171895
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14" Previous topic | Next topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 23-Jan-14 03:40 AM
11402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
Sat 21-Jun-14 03:26 AM by jrp

Lowden, US

A couple of Nikonians, Gary Poole (gpoole) & John Roach (jdroach) traveled from afar to shoot eagles on the Mississippi in Iowa and they made the local news.

Here is the article and video clip

This is a good look at the area where all of these awesome eagle shots come from. Hopefully there will be a nice gathering of Nikonians at the dam tomorrow.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14
tekneektom Gold Member
23rd Jan 2014
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Jan 2014
cockers Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
freedomfarm Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
mklass Platinum Member
24th Jan 2014
dm1dave Administrator
24th Jan 2014
catwil Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
niknac37 Silver Member
22nd Jun 2014
24th Jan 2014
dm1dave Administrator
24th Jan 2014
24th Jan 2014
jdroach Platinum Member
24th Jan 2014
24th Jan 2014
dm1dave Administrator
24th Jan 2014
jdroach Platinum Member
25th Jan 2014
Bump57 Silver Member
25th Jan 2014
jdroach Platinum Member
25th Jan 2014
a4str Gold Member
24th Jan 2014
Kipmm Silver Member
25th Jan 2014
dm1dave Administrator
25th Jan 2014
gpoole Platinum Member
25th Jan 2014
jdroach Platinum Member
25th Jan 2014
massulo Gold Member
22nd Jun 2014
jdroach Platinum Member
22nd Jun 2014

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 23-Jan-14 03:45 AM
1863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Congratulations to Gary & John for becoming famous (at least in the Quad Cities area)!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 24-Jan-14 09:44 PM
4537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 1

Milwaukee, US

Thanks, Tom!

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 23-Jan-14 04:04 PM
4232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Cool!

Al

freedomfarm Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013Thu 23-Jan-14 11:14 PM
535 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice! Thanks for sharing this. I was curious to see the place that seems to be pretty popular here on the forum.

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 24-Jan-14 12:55 AM
5908 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Well, while you guys are headed west, come out to the PNW. Plenty of eagles, and it's warmer!

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 24-Jan-14 01:59 AM
11402 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 21-Jun-14 01:52 AM by jrp

Lowden, US

Here is our little group of Nikonians from today. The high temperature was 3*f ( -16*C )

Gary (gpoole) - John (jdroach) - Dave (dm1dave) - Scott (Bump57)

Gary and John in action.

And of course .... The star of the show....

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

catwil Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2007Fri 24-Jan-14 03:45 AM
407 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 5

Tennessee, US

The Nikonian Eagle Expedition!
Sign me up!
I was delighted to read this story today. After seeing the wonderful eagle images posted here, I looked up where it was, told my husband about it, and we would like to get up there and see those amazing eagles and of course get some pictures! I'm not sure we can pull it off this year but if not this year definitely next year.
Thanks for sharing your images. I've enjoyed looking at them and look forward to seeing more. Im so glad all of you got to go! Maybe we'll see some of you there one day!

Cathy

niknac37 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Sun 22-Jun-14 04:56 AM
1871 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 5

Mysore, IN

So nice to see all the Icons in front of the camera, a rare chance for a WL photographers. As usual Dave great shot. TFS

Pakku

freedomfarm Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013Fri 24-Jan-14 10:13 AM
535 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Can someone tell me the make/model of the lens handle that the one fellow is using in the video? I really like the looks of how that may help in hand held situations. Do they make them for a smaller lens, say Sigma 150-500 or Tamron 150-600?
Thanks

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 24-Jan-14 03:08 PM
#8. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 7

Lowden, US

I am pretty sure he is using a bushhawk without the shoulder stock attached.

Here is the BushHawk website.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

freedomfarm Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013Fri 24-Jan-14 07:34 PM
#9. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks!!!

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Fri 24-Jan-14 09:32 PM
4537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 24-Jan-14 09:43 PM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

David, thanks for posting the clip. It was a fun two days. It was great to meet you and Scott yesterday. It is always fun when Nikonians can get together to capture light. Plus these birds are just amazing to watch and photograph. Gary and I had fun at the interview and are now celebrities!

Here are couple of my images (the whole reason we got together) from yesterday that I thought everyone would enjoy (not half bad for a newbie eagle hunter, I think, without real fast, long lenses):

Taken with D7000, Sigma 70-200mm at 200mm, -0.7 EV, 1/1250s, f/11, Aperture Priority, ISO 800.

Taken with D700, Nikkor 28-300 with Kenko 1.4 TC at 390mm, 1/1600s, f/9, -0.7 EV, ISO 1000, Shutter Priority.

Taken with D700, Nikkor 28-300 with Kenko 1.4 TC at 390mm, 1/1600s, f/10, -0.7 EV, ISO 1000, Shutter Priority.

Taken with D800, Sigma 50-500mm at 500mm, Shutter Priority, f/8, 1/1600, ISO 320, -0.7 EV.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

freedomfarm Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013Fri 24-Jan-14 10:54 PM
#13. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Great Photos! Glad you got to go and enjoy and capture!

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 24-Jan-14 11:37 PM
#14. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"

Lowden, US

It was great meeting you and Gary!

These shots show the attraction of L&D 14 - Where else can you get a shot like your first one with a 200mm lens. While the big lens shooters have an advantage it is possible for just about anyone to get some decent shots as the birds fly directly over our heads.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 25-Jan-14 01:02 PM
#17. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 14

Milwaukee, US

Thanks, Dave. It was fun. I look forward to more of you exquisite eagle images.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sat 25-Jan-14 11:51 AM
6521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"

US

John it was very nice to meet you & Gary. Great coverage in the news you guys are now famous! I like # 1 & 3, nice captures... I went back Fri, the inlet where we were shooting in at 14 was full of ice, probably to 100+ feet out. The light was not the best though.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 25-Jan-14 01:04 PM
#18. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 16

Milwaukee, US

Scott, likewise, it was good to meet you. I look forward to seeing some of your images. Thanks for the comments.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

a4str Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2012Fri 24-Jan-14 09:45 PM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

Custer WI, US

Thanks for the post. Really, really cool!

Regards,

Bob

Kipmm Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2013Sat 25-Jan-14 11:36 AM
679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

St.Catharines, CA

Great coverage on the Mini Expedition and great captures by all .
kip

ps Gloves up here come in pairs Dave.

Visit

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/25361

Soon to relocate to Vancouver Island British Columbia October 2014.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 25-Jan-14 04:37 PM
#21. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 15

Lowden, US

Yes, gloves (and hand warmers) are good ... taking them off in frigid weather is BAD.

I took the group shot the a Nikon 1 V1 and the little IR remote. Those buttons are so small in needed to take off my gloves. It didn't take long before my fingers were painfully cold. Good this is we packed up and got in the warm car right after the taking photo.

During the day I used flip back mittens with two hand warmers in each mitten. I could shoot by exposing only one finder and then rewarm that finger on the hand warmer between shots.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Sat 25-Jan-14 02:21 PM
3666 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

Not only were John and I on TV, we were local celebrities the next day.

When we went to lunch on Thursday, the waitress said "you're the guys on TV." Somewhat surprised we told that we were and thanked her for recognizing us. The cafe was only a mile from L&D 14, so I guess it wasn't too surprising. After all the waitress was going to be sensitive to news about her local area.

That night John and I had dinner with Dave and his wife Mary. This was in Davenport, about 10 miles from L&D 14. The waitress there, Brittany, recognized us too. She even asked for, and gratefully received our autographs.

We had a great time at L&D 14, enjoyed spending time with Dave Summers (dm1dave)and Scott Sternberg (Bumps57) on Thursday afternoon. Earlier in the day we met Gary Kramer (gkramer71).

All this just helps to show how fantastic a community Nikonians is. Five Nikonians at one shooting location on a 0 deg F (-18C) day. John and I decided separately to come based on Dave's pictures from the previous Sunday. We didn't know the other was coming until Dave mentioned it in a thread I had started. Gary Kramer had been there a couple of days before (probably inspired by Dave's posts) and was so impressed he came back. Scott has been there many times and keeps returning.

L&D 14 is sort of in Dave's backyard (about 45 min away), it's about a 1.5 hr drive for Scott, a couple hours for Gary K., 3 hrs for John, and 6 hrs for me. That we are willing to drive that far in the middle of winter is a testimony to how fantastic a photo op L&D 14 is. The experience was well worth the drive and I will certainly plan on doing it again. BTW in addition to 5 Nikonians there were easily 20 other serious photographers braving the cold for a good portion of the day.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sat 25-Jan-14 02:46 PM
#20. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 19

Milwaukee, US

Gary, great post....you summed up the celebrity side of our adventure so well. Plus, it was good to see you and share the experience along with other Nikonians friends!

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sun 22-Jun-14 02:00 AM
10582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Congrats to the both of you for your great work

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 22-Jun-14 02:13 AM
#23. "RE: Nikonians in the news @ L&D 14"
In response to Reply # 22
Sun 22-Jun-14 02:23 AM by jdroach

Milwaukee, US

Thanks, Preston. This is very nice to remember some 6 months later. I sure wish I could meet you at ANPAT 14 in Colorado as well as miss friends like Gary, Lance, Ruedi, JRP, Bo, and others I have seen on past ANPATs and Nikonians I haven't met before. It just was not in the cards this year, due to so many other travel plans. You will enjoy the experience. I look forward to seeing your images.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #171895 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.