nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #171865
View in linear mode

Subject: "Birds" Previous topic | Next topic
msetter Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2012Thu 23-Jan-14 01:47 AM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Birds"
Thu 23-Jan-14 01:52 AM by msetter

Milford, US

I have been reading and experimenting with some helpful hints from many here. Last week I sold my D7000 and picked up a D7100 and so far I LOVE it.

I went out this weekend and did the majority of my shooting in manual mode instead of Aperture priority and I seem to have more shots that I think turned out well.

Thanks for all the tips.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Birds
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
23rd Jan 2014
labtrout Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
cockers Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
freedomfarm Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
Kipmm Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
msetter Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
jamesvoortman Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
msetter Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot
23rd Jan 2014
tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
23rd Jan 2014
msetter Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
RMcC Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
af4nc Gold Member
24th Jan 2014
ehall Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
rbsandor Gold Member
24th Jan 2014
TonyJ Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
Biker Bill
24th Jan 2014
rb4good Silver Member
24th Jan 2014
NikonJohn2
24th Jan 2014
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
27th Jan 2014
Countryboy Silver Member
20th Feb 2014

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 23-Jan-14 01:57 AM
11747 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice work, Marcy! Especially the snowy taking off.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

labtrout Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Thu 23-Jan-14 02:00 AM
498 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Bristol, US

Very nice, especially that last shot.

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 23-Jan-14 05:08 PM
4361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Nice captures Marcy - Thanks for sharing!

Al

freedomfarm Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013Thu 23-Jan-14 05:23 PM
592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice work and you found another Snowy! In my honest (amateur)opinion, I think it's actually easier to use manual mode than any of the others. They may have their purposes in some situations, but experimenting on your own in manual worked well for me. What do you like about your new camera over the other one?

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

Kipmm Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2013Thu 23-Jan-14 05:28 PM
821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Vancouver Island, CA

Nice capture of the Snowy,s.
Love # 2 taking off.
Keep em coming.

kip

Visit

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/25361

msetter Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2012Thu 23-Jan-14 11:04 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Thank you all, I've got a lot to learn but feel better getting some decent shots.

There isn't anything specific I like over my D7000. The 7100 is a bit bigger and seems to handle better. The autofocus seems to track better, but I haven't seen anything that says it's been updated in the 7100.

I was able to get two good series of different Snowy's taking off and both came out well. This was also the first shoot I've had with my 300mm f/4 and TC1.4 that turned out.

Marcy

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004Fri 24-Jan-14 04:28 PM
1217 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri 24-Jan-14 04:34 PM by jamesvoortman

Durban, ZA

>There isn't anything specific I like over my D7000. The 7100
>The autofocus
>seems to track better, but I haven't seen anything that says
>it's been updated in the 7100.

D7100 has top-of-the-range 51 point Af module similar to Nikon's top models.

Your pics of the Snowys are great and like others I think #2 is the best. It is nicely sharp, the composition and action are nice, however it seems a little under-exposed to me -maybe half a stop - this is easily adjusted in post processing. It also appears to have a slightly cold look (as in blue - not talking about the obviously low temperature) on my calibrated monitor. If you shot in RAW this will also be correctable with a white balance adjustment....but bring up the exposure first as that may be enough.

Very envious of your 300f4 - I am having difficulty sourcing one where I live.

msetter Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2012Fri 24-Jan-14 05:35 PM
#17. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 15

Milford, US

Thanks, I'll take a look at the post processing changes.

I picked my 300 f/4 up from KEH.com and am now starting to love it.

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 23-Jan-14 11:35 PM
52480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Nice series

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Thu 23-Jan-14 11:55 PM
1911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Nice series. And, congratulations on acquiring the D7100.

What lens did you use for these images?

msetter Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2012Fri 24-Jan-14 12:36 AM
#9. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 8

Milford, US

Thank you. Nikon 300mm F/4 and a TC 1.4

RMcC Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2013Fri 24-Jan-14 04:01 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Northern Ontario, CA

I like the eye contact you got in the snowy shot.

Rose

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Fri 24-Jan-14 11:04 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Nice shootn I like the first snow owl the best.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

ehall Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012Fri 24-Jan-14 01:17 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Great shots, thanks for sharing

Emory

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 24-Jan-14 04:13 PM
1518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Marcy: a very nicely done series. Now that you've decided to shoot in Manual, you might want to try using Auto ISO also. When in Manual and Auto ISO, the camera will always choose the lowest ISO for an exposure. You'll see what ISO the camera has chosen in the viewfinder and can modify SS or A if needed.

In this mode, you can still enter Exposure Compensation via the button on the top right of your camera. So if you took a shot and saw for example that you had blinkies (highlight warnings) somewhere on the image that you didn't want, you would dial in some negative compensation. With ISO being the only variable, it is adjusted and adjusted downward in this case.

Speaking solely for myself, I find this method of shooting to be very liberating as I can very quickly dial in and quickly change shooting parameters as the situation warrants. Richard

TonyJ Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Sep 2004Fri 24-Jan-14 04:24 PM
1330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Boulder, US

Very nice.

D800e l D600 l D700 l Nikon 1 V1 l N90s l AF-S 16-35 f4 l AF-S 24-85 f3.5-f4.5G VR l AF-S 70-200 f2.8G VRII l AF-S 50 f1.8G l AF-S 300 f4 l TC-14EII l TC-20EIII l 2x SB600 l Autometer IIIF.
http://tonyjohnsonphotos.com
https://www.facebook.com/tony.johnson.photography
My Nikonians Gallery

Biker Bill Registered since 01st Nov 2009Fri 24-Jan-14 05:27 PM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

You are paying attention nice group.

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Fri 24-Jan-14 06:48 PM
4557 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Nicely done Marcy. Enjoy your new gear. It is the same set up I use and I am more than happy with it.

Rick

NikonJohn2 Registered since 23rd Jun 2013Fri 24-Jan-14 08:18 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 18

US

Very nice

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Mon 27-Jan-14 11:43 PM
4832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Very nice....especially the third image.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Countryboy Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007Thu 20-Feb-14 07:33 PM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Birds"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Excellent image, Marcy. I shoot in manual exposure mode too. It actually seems more straight forward and offers more control (IMHO) 📷

Tom
W TN

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #171865 Previous topic | Next topic