nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #171601
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hunting Snowy Owl" Previous topic | Next topic
Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 12:53 AM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hunting Snowy Owl"
Tue 21-Jan-14 12:55 AM by Rassie

Female Snowy Owl hunting in a farm field in Stayner, Ontario. It was -12 degrees Celsius out today, with a wind chill of about -20C. The wind created blowing snow that obscured the background and made the owl stand out more prominently.

D7000 with Sigma 150-500 mm.
ISO 640, F/10, 1/2500 sec, tripod.

Click on image to view larger version

My Nikonians gallery

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl Rassie Silver Member
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl Kipmm Silver Member
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl cockers Silver Member
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl Jim Pearce Silver Member
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl catwil Silver Member
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl stillbill11 Silver Member
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl RMcC
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl clickhans
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl Biker Bill
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
21st Jan 2014
21st Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl af4nc Gold Member
21st Jan 2014
22nd Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl freedomfarm Silver Member
21st Jan 2014
22nd Jan 2014
Reply message RE: Hunting Snowy Owl Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
22nd Jan 2014

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community   Lowden, US  Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 12:57 AM
12218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow ... outstanding! I love the high key background.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on image to view larger version
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports |Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2015

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 02:27 AM
3053 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks, Dave.
Sometimes it all comes together for a good image.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Land O Lakes, US  Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011 Tue 21-Jan-14 01:06 AM
1923 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

really nice! A great capture.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 02:27 AM
#12. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks, Tom.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Kipmm Silver Member  Vancouver Island, CA  Nikonian since 27th Jun 2013 Tue 21-Jan-14 01:08 AM
1118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Superb capture love the background.

kip

Visit

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/25361

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 02:31 AM
#13. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks, Kip. You do very impressive work yourself.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

cockers Silver Member  Plover, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 01:08 AM
4447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful shot Koos!

I really like the pose and the eye contact!

Al

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 02:33 AM
#14. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks, Al.
This was my first attempt at moving targets and using burst mode. I managed to get quite a few keepers, so despite the cold it was worth it.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Tue 21-Jan-14 01:14 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Lovely Koos. You really should show a larger shot because the background is quite "spooky".

Jim

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 01:23 AM
#8. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 7

Did you click on the image, Jim?
Thanks for the comments.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

catwil Silver Member  Tennessee, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2007 Tue 21-Jan-14 02:15 AM
432 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, I enlarged the image and it is beautiful. The blowing snow made for a really nice background.
Cathy

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 02:34 AM
#15. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 9

Thanks, Cathy.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

stillbill11 Silver Member  New Paltz, NY, US  Nikonian since 05th Feb 2011 Tue 21-Jan-14 02:19 AM
208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Great Shot.

Bill

Visitmy online gallery.

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 02:34 AM
#16. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks, Bill.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

RMcC   Northern Ontario, CA  Registered since 27th Feb 2013 Tue 21-Jan-14 03:11 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with Al on the eye contact. Great shot. Looks like there are a lot of Snowy Owls in Southern Ontario.

Rose

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 10:17 PM
#21. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 17

Thanks, Rose.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

clickhans   UM  Registered since 10th Jul 2012 Tue 21-Jan-14 09:05 AM
1161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Stunning! Love the mist & trees in bg.

best
hans

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 10:18 PM
#22. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 18

Thank you, Hans.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Biker Bill   Lakeville, US  Registered since 01st Nov 2009 Tue 21-Jan-14 11:40 AM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful is all I have to say.

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 10:19 PM
#23. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 19

Thank you, Sir.

My Nikonians gallery

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rocky Hill, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 12:49 PM
4737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Fantastic image, Koos. Great background for this bird.

Rick

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Tue 21-Jan-14 10:21 PM
#24. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 20

Thank you, Rick.
This is serendipity - being in the right place at the right time. I could not create the snowy white-out conditions myself. Sometimes things just come together....

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

af4nc Gold Member  Yardley, US  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007 Tue 21-Jan-14 11:26 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful shot. Nice job on focus and exposure.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Wed 22-Jan-14 02:48 AM
#27. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 25

Thank you, Tom.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

freedomfarm Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 30th Mar 2013 Tue 21-Jan-14 11:34 PM
595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

That blowing snow is fantastic, and so is the capture of the snowy! Perfect setting!

Steve H
Rock Creek, Ohio

Rassie Silver Member  Milton, CA  Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006 Wed 22-Jan-14 02:48 AM
#28. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 26

Thanks, Steve.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   US  Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007 Wed 22-Jan-14 04:24 AM
6734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Hunting Snowy Owl"
In response to Reply # 0

Super image Koos. I like how he comes off the background and I also like that you included the background.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #171601 Previous topic | Next topic