Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #171208
View in linear mode

Subject: "Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa" Previous topic | Next topic
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Fri 17-Jan-14 11:27 PM
4403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi all.

Here is a photo of a Reedbuck in the same swamp that the elephant siblings were in. I had to wait a very long time for the buck to line up with the water lilies but I think that spot of color helps the photo. I haven't been able to identify the bird in my one book of African animals so if anyone knows what it is please chime in.

Camera: NIKON D3S/200-400 +1.4tc
Focal length: 550 mm (equiv. 550 mm)
Aperture: F8
Exposure time: 1/800" (+0.67 EV)
ISO speed rating: 400/27°
Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
White Balance: Auto

To see a few more pics go to: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/26042

As always, any comments, criticism or advice very welcome.

JIM

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa
jamesvoortman Silver Member
18th Jan 2014
jgould2 Gold Member
19th Jan 2014
Rassie Silver Member
18th Jan 2014
jgould2 Gold Member
19th Jan 2014
rb4good Silver Member
18th Jan 2014
jgould2 Gold Member
19th Jan 2014
slopoki1 Silver Member
18th Jan 2014
jgould2 Gold Member
19th Jan 2014
jamesvoortman Silver Member
19th Jan 2014
jgould2 Gold Member
22nd Jan 2014
cwcoffman Silver Member
23rd Jan 2014
Biker Bill Gold Member
19th Jan 2014
jgould2 Gold Member
22nd Jan 2014
dm1dave Administrator
22nd Jan 2014
jgould2 Gold Member
23rd Jan 2014

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004Sat 18-Jan-14 08:00 AM
1186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

Hi Jim

The bird is an African Jacana. I have some closer but not so great pics of one. Will maybe post it when I get to my pc later. They have enormously long toes for walking on lily pads.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sun 19-Jan-14 04:41 PM
4403 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi James.

Thanks for the identification and the toe details.

JIM

Rassie Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Sat 18-Jan-14 03:21 PM
2868 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 18-Jan-14 03:22 PM by Rassie

Milton, CA

Nice picture, Jim.
I agree with James. The bird is an African Jacana. They are sometimes called Jesus birds for their seeming ability to walk on water.

Regards

My Nikonians gallery

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sun 19-Jan-14 04:43 PM
#6. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Koos.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Jacana identification and the Jesus birds tidbit.

JIM

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 18-Jan-14 05:06 PM
4186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Very nice, Jim. I like how you included the surroundings in many of your images and didn't make them all just of the animal.

Rick

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sun 19-Jan-14 04:45 PM
#7. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Rick.

Thanks a lot. I did try to include some scenery since it was so interesting to me.

JIM

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Sat 18-Jan-14 06:23 PM
1333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Nice environmental shot Jim.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sun 19-Jan-14 04:46 PM
#8. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 4

Hi Rick.

Thanks, much appreciated.

JIM

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004Sun 19-Jan-14 07:17 PM
1186 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

Added a pic of a Jacana, unfortunately I don't have one showing the huge feet that they use to walk on floating vegetation.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 22-Jan-14 01:37 AM
#11. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi James.

Thanks so much for showing your picture, gives me a much better idea of what they look like. And now that you have identified the bird, I was able to find a picture of one with the feet showing.

JIM

cwcoffman Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Apr 2010Thu 23-Jan-14 12:34 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 9

Sacramento, US

I really love the color in this picture and the way the shadow on the bird makes it stand out from the background. It's a beauty!

C W Coffman

If there's no photo, it didn't happen.

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Sun 19-Jan-14 08:52 PM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Agree a little color makes for a better shot, nice going.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 22-Jan-14 01:38 AM
#12. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 10

Hi Bill.

Thanks for the encouragement regarding the spot of color, I will continue to search such things out.

JIM

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 22-Jan-14 02:47 AM
11383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice - he is a cute little guy!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 23-Jan-14 12:02 AM
#14. "RE: Reedbuck from Tanzania, Africa"
In response to Reply # 13

Hi Dave.

Thanks, I think so too.

JIM

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #171208 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.