Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #164520
View in linear mode

Subject: "Red Fox Eye Corrections" Previous topic | Next topic
stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Sat 05-Oct-13 03:53 AM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Red Fox Eye Corrections"

US

Hello, all. A few years back, while I was visiting Yellowstone, I had a great early morning encounter with a red fox outside of the park- at our cabin in Cooke City, Montana. The fox was obviously habituated to people. I've always enjoyed the photos I took of it, but some of them had the cat or pet eye issue that occasionally shows up in animal shots.

I recently upgraded to Adobe Photo Elements 12 thinking that its new pet eye correction feature would be great. However, it did not work so well in practice. Regardless, I decided to try to correct the eyes manually. I would love to get your honest and expert opinions on my efforts.

Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections
af4nc Gold Member
05th Oct 2013
dm1dave Administrator
06th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
brada Silver Member
07th Oct 2013
danshep Silver Member
07th Oct 2013
stormpeak Silver Member
07th Oct 2013
stormpeak Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
danshep Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
Chuckv Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
Sixmileman
11th Oct 2013
Chuckv Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
stormpeak Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
jamesvoortman Silver Member
11th Oct 2013
stormpeak Silver Member
11th Oct 2013
stormpeak Silver Member
12th Oct 2013
Sixmileman
12th Oct 2013

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Sat 05-Oct-13 10:36 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

That's a pretty good job. It does take practice. I like foxes too and love Yellowstone. I spent 6 weeks last summer/fall.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 06-Oct-13 03:36 AM
11504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice work!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 06-Oct-13 10:14 PM
6003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Well done with the shots Oscar, nice captures. Good job on the removal of the "red" eye. I think I'd be tempted to have only one highlight in each eye.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

brada Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2008Mon 07-Oct-13 01:07 AM
372 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 0

US

pretty good, #2 is the better one, at least looks the most natural.

http://www.bradaphotography.com
my Nikonians gallery.

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberMon 07-Oct-13 01:08 AM
1330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

I like #4 best. Just a little catchlight, to show some life.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no."

stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Mon 07-Oct-13 03:07 AM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thank you all for your feedback. I'm going to continue playing with these taking your comments into account such as a single highlight per eye and trying to make it more realistic.

Again, I appreciate your help. I'll post revised versions soon.

stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Tue 08-Oct-13 12:45 AM
#7. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hello again. I've listened to your feedback and, hopefully, the eyes look better now. Please let me know what you think of my latest attempts. Thanks again.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberTue 08-Oct-13 12:56 AM
1330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 7

Olympia, US

I think you got 'er.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no."

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Tue 08-Oct-13 01:18 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#9. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 7

Lafayette, US

That's looks great!!!

Chuck

Chuck Vincent, Nikon F100, D100, D7100, D700, D4

Nikon Lens- 50 1.8, 17-35 F/2.8, 28-105 F3.5-4.5D Macro, 28-300, 24-70 2.8, 85 1.4D 70-200 2.8, 18-200 VRII, Nikon x 1.4II, x 1.7II

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Fri 11-Oct-13 05:21 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Can you describe a little your technique for doing this, please.

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Tue 08-Oct-13 01:22 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

I know it would be the wrong thing to do, but I would want to take the Fox in to my fold.

That is such great country to visit, or live there for that matters....

Chuck

Chuck Vincent, Nikon F100, D100, D7100, D700, D4

Nikon Lens- 50 1.8, 17-35 F/2.8, 28-105 F3.5-4.5D Macro, 28-300, 24-70 2.8, 85 1.4D 70-200 2.8, 18-200 VRII, Nikon x 1.4II, x 1.7II

stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Tue 08-Oct-13 04:36 AM
#11. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 10

US

Thanks for the kind words, Dan and Chuck. And, I wish I could live close to Yellowstone...that would be like living a dream.

jamesvoortman Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004Fri 11-Oct-13 04:14 PM
1198 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

I think you did quite well. They all look more natural now.

stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Fri 11-Oct-13 05:18 PM
#13. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 12

US

Thank you very much, James.

stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Sat 12-Oct-13 03:34 AM
#15. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 13

US

Lawrence, I apologize for not seeing your post earlier. Not sure how I missed it. Here is a brief description of how I did this:

I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 to edit my photos. It has a brush feature (under the "Expert" section of Editor module) that allows you to essentially paint within your photo. Furthermore, the brush feature provides you with the option of selecting a brush or airbrush mode. You can also select the brush size which I varied based on what area I was painting and especially at the time of applying highlights.

Using the airbrush mode, I filled in the pupils gradually and tried not to make them 100% even in an effort to better replicate a natural pupil. (I should mention I used to paint and airbrush regularly as a hobby for years, so I felt comfortable with the approach although doing it with a mouse is very different than with an actual airbrush.)

The Adobe Photoshop Elements airbrush mode (and brush mode) lets you choose the degree of opacity. I never selected anything over 50% to ensure I covered the area gradually and unevenly.

Once I was done with painting the pupils in black, I then changed the color to white and added the highlights which were more challenging. It obviously took some trial and error and I greatly appreciate the feedback I got on this forum.

I hope this provides an adequate explanation of the process I used. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments on this.

Sixmileman Registered since 06th Mar 2013Sat 12-Oct-13 03:35 PM
135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Red Fox Eye Corrections"
In response to Reply # 15

US

You did a great job and your technique is far superior to what I've done in the past to remove "white eye" from images of a dog. Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #164520 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.