Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #164431
View in linear mode

Subject: "Eastern Bluebird" Previous topic | Next topic
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Thu 03-Oct-13 09:09 PM
6004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Eastern Bluebird"

Mississauga, CA

Shot earlier this summer - in fact I think it was the first day of summer.

Same bird (you can tell by its "cowlick"), different perch. The alvar (a limestone plain) in the area provided a nice, smooth OOF background.

D7100 + 600mm f/4 + 14TC

ISO200, f/8, 1/800sec, -0.3EV, Centre Weighted

ISO200, f/7.1, 1/1250sec, -0.3EV, Centre Weighted

Thanks for looking.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Eastern Bluebird
Asgard Administrator
03rd Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
af4nc Gold Member
03rd Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
03rd Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
slopoki1 Silver Member
03rd Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Countryboy Silver Member
03rd Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
skutch Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Alchemistt99
04th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Alchemistt99
04th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
glxman Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
dm1dave Administrator
04th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
rb4good Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
cockers Silver Member
05th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
jfbacks Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
stormpeak Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
ehall Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
06th Oct 2013
brada Silver Member
07th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
07th Oct 2013
massulo Gold Member
08th Oct 2013
Leighgregory Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
13th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
08th Oct 2013
Jim Pearce Silver Member
11th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
12th Oct 2013
Lunastar Silver Member
12th Oct 2013
Dubes Silver Member
13th Oct 2013

Asgard Administrator He is your Chief Guardian Angel at the Helpdesk and knows a lot about a lot Nikonian since 07th Apr 2004Thu 03-Oct-13 09:18 PM
51777 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

East Frisia, DE

Very nice images

Gerold - Nikonian in East Frisia
Eala Freya Fresena

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:10 PM
6004 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 1

Mississauga, CA

Thanks for stopping by Gerold.

Richard

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Thu 03-Oct-13 09:19 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Very nice, great color and exposure. You that 600 working well. Great!

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:11 PM
#11. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 2

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Tom, it's a marvellous piece of engineering.

Richard

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Thu 03-Oct-13 09:22 PM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Great shots of a beautiful bird Richard. You seem to be blessed with a great variety of birdlife in your area. I'd like to visit Canada sometime.....Scotty.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:15 PM
#12. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 3

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Scotty. If you ever decide to drop in to the Toronto area, get in touch. Funny, even though we did emigrate to Canada from the U.K. in 1969, we were actually approved and booked to go to Australia (Perth), but my parents changed there mind at the last minute.
The variety created by the seasons from hot & humid to frigid & snowy can bring in a large variety of birds into the area.

Richard

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Thu 03-Oct-13 10:06 PM
1414 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Nice shots of a pretty bird Richard.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:16 PM
#13. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 4

Mississauga, CA

Thank you Rick, they certainly are and you can see how they're related to our Robins.

Richard

Countryboy Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Thu 03-Oct-13 11:41 PM
4331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Great shots, Richard. The rusty iron and the blue of the bird work great together.

Tom

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:18 PM
#14. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 5

Mississauga, CA

As always, nice to hear from you Tom and thank you. The bright blue works very well with the rusty fence post, along with the rust hues in their upper breast.

Richard

skutch Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 04:37 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellensburg, US

Great focus.

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:18 PM
#15. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 6

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Dale.

Richard

Alchemistt99 Registered since 21st Jul 2013Fri 04-Oct-13 05:26 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Rennes, FR

Once again Richard ...great shots! you're an inspiration when I see birds I think of the birds you have chosen to share and your settings. I've been practising with Sea Gulls and Ducks and so far I'm liking the outcome.......I guess the one thing I just need is patience to sit still.....HAHA!

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:25 PM
#16. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 7

Mississauga, CA

Hi Charles and thank for your kind comments.
True, patience is an important trait in bird photography; but so is observation. Not just being able to spot something in the distance and make your way towards it, but also observation of habits that develop over time. I try to keep a journal of my outings and have learned when to expect certain birds are in certain areas and locations. Not always a 100% sure thing though!

Richard

Alchemistt99 Registered since 21st Jul 2013Fri 04-Oct-13 07:29 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 16

Rennes, FR

I will keep that in mind! I have been thinking of bringing a journal along for notes. So far I have been getting lucky spotting a European Sterling but it's always at moments where I just get some quick snaps not enough time for a full set up

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 08:27 PM
#20. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 18

Mississauga, CA

It will take time and develop over a few years. I started out doing a lot of macro work before discovering bird photography. As I moved into birds, my first acquisition was a 70-300, moved up to a 300mm AF-D (non AF-S), then a 80-400 VR, next a Sigma prime 500mm f/4.5 and now my 600mm f/4. Most, I bought used (other than the Sigma 500 & Nikkor 600), and traded up as I progressed and found this was my passion, but do still own the old 300mm AF lens which is very sharp, but slow acquiring focus.
Take your time and practise on the more common birds, there's always a lot to think about - your exposure (should I use +/- EV or spot metering), aperture & shutter speed, focus point, composition, long lens technique(s). It eventually becomes a little more intuitive, but there's never a guaranteed shot - which makes this such a challenge.

Richard

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 04-Oct-13 12:41 PM
3007 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

South Australia, AU

Perfect Richard,
Regards,
Gary

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:26 PM
#17. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 8

Mississauga, CA

Gary, thanks very much.

Richard

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 04-Oct-13 04:26 PM
11608 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice work!

This is a bird I haven't had much luck with. I have a couple so-so shots but nothing really good.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 04-Oct-13 07:35 PM
#19. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 9

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Dave. This area, known as Carden Alvar, has been designated as an Important Bird Area by Birdlife International. There's a massive programme to reintroduce the Loggerhead Shrike into the area and other rare sightings (for our area) such as Wilson's Snipe, Upland Sandpiper, Sedge Wrens, Bobolinks & Eastern Meadowlarks are quite common.
I haven't always been able to get great shots of the ones mentioned above, but the local community installs bluebird boxes on the fence posts and you can generally be guaranteed of getting shots of these birds.
You can read more about the area here:
http://www.natureconservancy.ca/en/where-we-work/ontario/our-work/carden_alvar_natural_area.html

Richard

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sat 05-Oct-13 08:36 PM
4333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Two more outstanding images, Richard. You do give us all inspiration by showing what can be achieved so we try and improve our own imagery.

Rick

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 06-Oct-13 10:16 PM
#26. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 21

Mississauga, CA

That's very kind of you Rick. Over the past few years, I've also been inspired by the work of others posted here, including yours.

Richard

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sat 05-Oct-13 09:04 PM
4330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Very nice indeed!

Al

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 06-Oct-13 10:17 PM
#27. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 22

Mississauga, CA

Hi Al and thank you very much.

Richard

jfbacks Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Sun 06-Oct-13 02:40 AM
267 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

OFallon, US

Beautiful images Richard. Tack sharp.

stormpeak Silver Member Nikonian since 29th May 2012Sun 06-Oct-13 04:14 AM
196 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 23

US

Stunning shots. As much as you've captured a lovely bird, the post and wire with their rust really work well in both images especially with the coloring of the bird itself.

How are you enjoying the D7100? I am still contemplating upgrading from my D7000, but waiting for the rumored announcement of the D610. If the D610 doesn't have an upgraded AF system, I will probably get the D7100.

Thanks for sharing these great photos.

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 06-Oct-13 10:23 PM
#29. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 24
Sun 06-Oct-13 10:24 PM by Dubes

Mississauga, CA

Thanks so much Oscar, I have to agree the rust colurs harmonize well, but offer a contrast in hard vs. soft.

I'm pleased with the camera, it has many improvements over my D300 such as improved dynamic range, slightly better higher ISO, higher pixel density and faster focus acquisition. Don't alway like what it does to OOF backgrounds, especially ones that have contrasting colours. Seems to create more "grain" almost what I'd call "clumps" of colour.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 06-Oct-13 10:17 PM
#28. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 23

Mississauga, CA

Appreciate it Jack, thanks!

Richard

ehall Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012Sun 06-Oct-13 02:52 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Richard, these are great shots, thanks for sharing.

Emory

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 06-Oct-13 10:25 PM
#30. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 25

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Emory, very kind of you.

Richard

brada Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jan 2008Mon 07-Oct-13 01:06 AM
378 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Pretty bird and excellent detail, well done.

http://www.bradaphotography.com
my Nikonians gallery.

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 07-Oct-13 07:45 PM
#32. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 31

Mississauga, CA

Thanks so much Brad. Nice of you to stop by and comment.

Richard

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Tue 08-Oct-13 03:59 AM
10678 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Hey Richard,
What can I say but excellent as usual....
Great colours
Maybe, try not to center them....

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

Leighgregory Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2006Tue 08-Oct-13 08:03 PM
1600 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 33

Swindon, GB

Hi Richard,

WOW, stunning!

I like the first one best as I prefer the pertch...

Thanks

Leigh

A Nikonion in Swindon, UK.

My website

Visit
My Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Leighgregoryphotography?ref=ts&fref=ts

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 13-Oct-13 12:41 AM
#39. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 34

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Leigh, my preference of the two as well.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 08-Oct-13 10:59 PM
#35. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 33

Mississauga, CA

Thanks so much Preston.
To some extent, I'd agree with you on the 2nd image, but then I'd loose some of that "barbed" wire look on the fence if I cropped off too much on the left.
On the first, its tail is almost on the edge of the frame, and I've left some room on the left. I also felt that since this is more of a portrait and you have direct eye contact with the bird, it created a slightly more powerful image than having a large vacant green patch to the left - I find my eye gets drawn right in the bird's eye.

But, that's what makes us all interesting, we all perceive things differently.

Richard

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 11-Oct-13 02:35 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#36. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

Very nice Richard. Extremely good colour, with no fill flash!

Jim

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sat 12-Oct-13 04:20 PM
#37. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 36

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Jim. I was pretty sure I didn't use fill flash, but went back and checked since it was over 3 months ago I took these - no fill flash used.

Richard

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Sat 12-Oct-13 07:29 PM
3225 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#38. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 37

Mankato, US

Great, sharp, well lit images, Jim!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 13-Oct-13 12:42 AM
#40. "RE: Eastern Bluebird"
In response to Reply # 38

Mississauga, CA

Hi Mark - thanks for stopping by, appreciate your comment.

Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #164431 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.