nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #163846
View in linear mode

Subject: "Gators" Previous topic | Next topic
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 25-Sep-13 05:36 PM
4435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Gators"

Fort Pierce, US

Hi all.

Thought I would share a few of the gator shots I took on my 6 week trip to Florida in April and May. Some are from Louisiana and some are from Florida. All were taken with the Sigma 50-500 on a D300. All except the first one were at 500mm (750mm equivalent) the first one was at 116mm. The first and last photos were on foot, the rest from a boat.

Stop and smell the flowers

All of these images are uncropped. They sure are friendly looking creatures!

As always any comments, criticism or advice very welcome.

The rest of my Florida trip pics are here:

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/24921

JIM

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Gators
af4nc Gold Member
25th Sep 2013
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
26th Sep 2013
Ineluki Gold Member
25th Sep 2013
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
26th Sep 2013
rb4good Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
26th Sep 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
26th Sep 2013
Countryboy Silver Member
25th Sep 2013
26th Sep 2013
vcottman Silver Member
26th Sep 2013
26th Sep 2013
cockers Silver Member
26th Sep 2013
26th Sep 2013
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
27th Sep 2013
28th Sep 2013
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd Oct 2013
02nd Oct 2013
niknac37 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd Oct 2013
02nd Oct 2013
tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd Oct 2013
02nd Oct 2013
slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
02nd Oct 2013
03rd Oct 2013

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Wed 25-Sep-13 06:22 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Great shots, and they have big teeth.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 26-Sep-13 08:28 PM
4435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#8. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 1

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Tom.

Thanks, they always look like they are smiling to me.

JIM

Ineluki Gold Member Nikonian since 03rd Aug 2011Wed 25-Sep-13 07:00 PM
3345 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Nürnberg, DE

Pretty nice photos. Thanks for sharing. On photo 2 the critter looks like he is swimming with the plant

Egbert

www.allmondo.com

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/401509/cat/500/

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 26-Sep-13 08:32 PM
#9. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 2

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Egbert.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. You're right it does look like he is pushing the plant in front of him. Actually, he was just holding position at that particular spot. That one was taken in Louisiana on a swamp tour in a boat.

JIM

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 25-Sep-13 07:33 PM
4559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Nice shots, Jim. I like the one on the log as you can see all of it.

Rick

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 26-Sep-13 08:33 PM
#10. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 3

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Rick.

Thanks, I also like seeing them out of the water.

JIM

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Wed 25-Sep-13 11:24 PM
1376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Nice series Jim. I like #4. It's sharp with good dof.....Scotty.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 26-Sep-13 08:35 PM
#11. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 4

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Scotty.

Thanks for commenting. I am finding the Sigma 50-500 to be a very useful lens.

JIM

Countryboy Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007Wed 25-Sep-13 11:28 PM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Jim, I enjoyed these 'gator shots very much. All are terrific.
Tom

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 26-Sep-13 08:36 PM
#12. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 5

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Tom.

Thanks so much, I sure enjoyed photographing them.

JIM

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 26-Sep-13 02:41 PM
7355 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Nice series Jim. These guys are fun to photograph.

Thanks for sharing,

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 26-Sep-13 08:40 PM
#13. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 6
Thu 26-Sep-13 08:41 PM by jgould2

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Vaughn.

Thanks, they are great fun to photograph (with a little bit of caution).
That first one was shot at 116mm, it was a large one and I was on foot but there was a concrete wall between us.

JIM

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 26-Sep-13 03:28 PM
4361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Wonderful set James - all great I too like the "environmental" image with the log!

Al

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 26-Sep-13 08:42 PM
#14. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 7

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Al.

I appreciate you commenting.

JIM

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 27-Sep-13 06:37 PM
6108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Very nice series Jim, #'s 3 & 4 are probably my favoutites. Have to agree with your comment regarding the useful range of a lens like this, especially for traveleing.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sat 28-Sep-13 07:55 PM
#16. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 15

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Richard.

Thanks so much for commenting and for picking out your favorites. The last photo was actually taken at a fellow Nikonian's housing complex which has waterways threading through all the houses. That's also where I got my first ever shots of a Sandhill Crane which I have yet to share.

JIM

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Wed 02-Oct-13 03:05 PM
4832 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Very nice images.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 02-Oct-13 03:57 PM
#19. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 17

Fort Pierce, US

Hi John.

Thanks, see you soon.

JIM

niknac37 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Wed 02-Oct-13 03:25 PM
1886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Mysore, IN

Hi Jim, Lovely shots, friendly from which angle sir? 3rd one looks real nasty, how close were you? TFS

Pakku

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 02-Oct-13 04:00 PM
#20. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 18

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Pakku.

Thanks for the kind words. To me they look friendly like in the fourth one where they look like they are always smiling.

The third one was probably about five to seven feet away but I was in a boat.

JIM

tekneektom Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Wed 02-Oct-13 04:32 PM
1911 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

Jim,

Nice series. I particularly like the final image. I captured some gator images in SC last winter and had fun doing it - I think it could become contagious if you lived in that climate.

Tom

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 02-Oct-13 11:27 PM
#22. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 21

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Tom.

I agree, lots of fun shooting gators.

JIM

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Wed 02-Oct-13 11:51 PM
1510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Nice set of images Jim.
Really like the gator on the log. Well done.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 03-Oct-13 02:40 AM
#24. "RE: Gators"
In response to Reply # 23

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Rick.

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I think it's cool to see them out of the water like that.

JIM

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #163846 Previous topic | Next topic