nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #162080
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pika on the run" Previous topic | Next topic
treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Sun 25-Aug-13 06:35 PM
1790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pika on the run"

Pika are high alpine meadow dwellers who are members of the rabbit family and are about 4-5 inches long. They gather grasses which they RACE to their burrows to store for the winter. Did I say RACE?! They are so fast they easily beat any continuous focus attempts. I finally managed to catch this fellow in stride on one of his frantic runs.

Thanks for looking.

200-400mm lens with tc1.4 ISO 400, 1/640 at f7.1, handheld.

Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pika on the run bkinthebay Gold Member
25th Aug 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run vcottman Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run treadwl Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run cwils02 Gold Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run Biker Bill
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run jamesvoortman Silver Member
26th Aug 2013
26th Aug 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run Countryboy Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run vangophotos Silver Member
04th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
04th Oct 2013
Reply message RE: Pika on the run Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
04th Oct 2013

bkinthebay Gold Member  Auderghem, BE  Nikonian since 27th Feb 2010 Sun 25-Aug-13 06:38 PM
397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

Funny picture

vcottman Silver Member  Denver, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Mon 26-Aug-13 01:32 AM
7527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice shot Larry! Were you recently in RMNP?

Thanks for sharing,

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 26-Aug-13 03:29 AM
1790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the comment.

Yep, I was there, Had to make the annual pilgrimage.

I'll be posting so me more from the trip in a few days.
What super shots have you collected recently?

Larry

cwils02 Gold Member  HIXSON, US  Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012 Mon 26-Aug-13 04:24 AM
814 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't think I'll be using one of these at Easter.

You learn something everyday on this site.

Thanks for the post!

Charlie

treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 26-Aug-13 12:01 PM
#5. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 4

Oh yes, you can USE them for Easter. You just can't pick them up by the ears! Or catch them!

Thanks for looking.

Larry

Biker Bill   Lakeville, US  Registered since 01st Nov 2009 Mon 26-Aug-13 12:31 PM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

thanks for the photo. They must be fun to watch for afternoon.

treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 26-Aug-13 08:25 PM
#8. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for looking. Yes, they are quite comical with their antics and racing about. I could watch them for hour.

jamesvoortman Silver Member  Durban, ZA  Nikonian since 06th Sep 2004 Mon 26-Aug-13 07:27 PM
1228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

I guess if they don't run they become raptor food. Interesting

treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 26-Aug-13 08:27 PM
#9. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 7

>I guess if they don't run they become raptor food.
>Interesting

That is an affirmative! Weasels also join in on the hunt.

Countryboy Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007 Fri 04-Oct-13 01:10 AM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice capture, Larry. I did not know they were in the rabbit family. I see the similarity now.

Tom
W Tn

vangophotos Silver Member  Paradise Valley, US  Nikonian since 01st May 2012 Fri 04-Oct-13 05:43 AM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice shot! Those pikas are very hard to get a decent picture of.

Jorn

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community   Lowden, US  Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006 Fri 04-Oct-13 05:28 PM
12182 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

Cool shot!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on image to view larger version
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.   Mississauga, CA  Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007 Fri 04-Oct-13 08:08 PM
6145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Pika on the run"
In response to Reply # 0

Must have been interesting to watch Larry, nice shot. I can see the rabbit likeness as well, but also see a blend of rat & squirrel in this.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #162080 Previous topic | Next topic