nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #160387
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tree Swallows" Previous topic | Next topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 23-Jul-13 06:19 PM
11741 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tree Swallows"

Lowden, US

Captured these guys on an overcast day earlier this spring. I have been trying but I still cant get these fast little buggers in-flight.

D800 | 400/2.8VR + TC17E
f/7.1 | 1/800s | ISO-1400

f/7.1 | 1/640s | ISO-1600

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tree Swallows
af4nc Gold Member
23rd Jul 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
24th Jul 2013
Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest
23rd Jul 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
24th Jul 2013
Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest
24th Jul 2013
Countryboy Silver Member
24th Jul 2013
24th Jul 2013
vcottman Silver Member
24th Jul 2013
25th Jul 2013
cockers Silver Member
24th Jul 2013
25th Jul 2013
slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
25th Jul 2013
25th Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
26th Jul 2013
26th Jul 2013
mrwilson Silver Member
26th Jul 2013
27th Jul 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
27th Jul 2013
27th Jul 2013
jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
28th Jul 2013

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Tue 23-Jul-13 06:26 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Very pretty birds, nice shots

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 24-Jul-13 12:32 AM
11741 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

Thanks Tom!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Tue 23-Jul-13 07:33 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

Townsend, US

Both are very nice captures, Dave! My preference is for #2. The pose, and the sweet perch he landed on make this a great one in my mind. And hey, he is almost flying!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my website at http://kmorris99.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 24-Jul-13 12:33 AM
#4. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

Thanks Kelly!

Almost is right - this is about as close as I have come.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Wed 24-Jul-13 08:36 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 4

Townsend, US

Oh, and just to let you know, I was in my blind yesterday evening, waiting for the whitetail bicks to show up (they were no-shows for the second evening in a row), and had about 200 swallows flying around me. Remembering your post, I tried to get a BIF of some.... WOW! Now I understand why you are still trying to get a good BIF shot of a swallow! No I can join the ranks of "still trying"!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my website at http://kmorris99.zenfolio.com

Countryboy Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2007Wed 24-Jul-13 01:03 AM
4334 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Those are nice ones Dave. You really nailed the tricky park, exposure. Nice light and background.

Tom

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 24-Jul-13 01:54 AM
#6. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 5

Lowden, US

Thank you Tom!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 24-Jul-13 01:21 PM
7331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Very nice shot Dave!

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 01:33 AM
#10. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 7

Lowden, US

Thank you Vaughn!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 24-Jul-13 09:36 PM
4361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

They are one of my favorite subjects Dave - Great job!

Al

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 01:34 AM
#11. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 9

Lowden, US

Thanks Al!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Thu 25-Jul-13 10:03 AM
1499 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Great looking pair Dave. I'll be glad to see these guys down here again as that means migration is underway.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 25-Jul-13 03:27 PM
#13. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 12

Lowden, US

Thank Rick!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Fri 26-Jul-13 01:03 AM
4435 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Dave.

Nice. Great compositions, sharp and great color. I know they are tough to catch in flight. I only have a couple.

JIM

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 26-Jul-13 04:05 PM
#15. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 14

Lowden, US

Thank you Jim!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

mrwilson Silver Member Nikonian since 15th May 2013Fri 26-Jul-13 08:53 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

springfield, US

Yes Dave, swallows are fast. Excellent background, pretty little bird that usually we don't pay too much attention to probably because they are so fast ha ha!!! Here's a swallow I got perched a while back with my backup camera (d7100). I use the d7100 sometimes when the light is good for getting more pixels on the bird. Of course my d4 gets most the work.

Larry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 27-Jul-13 12:45 AM
#17. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 16

Lowden, US

Thanks Larry!

There was a time that I wandered if they ever landed.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sat 27-Jul-13 08:24 AM
1376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Swallows would be close to Butterflies in degrees of difficulty in capturing them in flight Dave. I love the colours. Nice shots......Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 27-Jul-13 08:08 PM
#19. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 18

Lowden, US

Thank you Scotty!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009Sun 28-Jul-13 03:53 PM
4819 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Tree Swallows"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Nice captures.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #160387 Previous topic | Next topic