nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #159973
View in linear mode

Subject: "Insect mavens - Need ID help" Previous topic | Next topic
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 16-Jul-13 02:33 AM
7038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Insect mavens - Need ID help"

Philadelphia, US

Hi All,

I captured this insect image on Saturday morning at the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge in Philadelphia, PA.

This looks like it's likely a wasp to me. I'd love some help identifying it.

Thanks for your help.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help
aolander Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
16th Jul 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
16th Jul 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
16th Jul 2013
Jim Pearce Silver Member
16th Jul 2013
16th Jul 2013
af4nc Gold Member
16th Jul 2013
16th Jul 2013
af4nc Gold Member
16th Jul 2013
16th Jul 2013

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 16-Jul-13 02:54 AM
3387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

Very nice image. It's a Clearwing Hummingbird Moth (Hemaris sp.).

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pollinators/pollinator-of-the-month/hummingbird_moth.shtml

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 16-Jul-13 03:07 AM
7038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 1

Philadelphia, US

I can only say, "Thank you." and "Thank you."

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 16-Jul-13 03:06 AM
11899 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice capture Ned!

I saw my first hummingbird moth last summer in our garden. They have not yet made a return this year.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 16-Jul-13 03:48 AM
#5. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 2

Philadelphia, US

Thanks very much Dave. It's the first one I've ever seen.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 16-Jul-13 03:38 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

That's an excellent shot of a hummingbird moth Ned!

Jim

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 16-Jul-13 03:48 AM
#6. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 4

Philadelphia, US

Thanks Jim.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Tue 16-Jul-13 11:28 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Ned that's a beautiful shot. I missed that one. Thanks again for a great walk this past Saturday. You and all the other volunteers there are to be commended for a job well done. We are so fortunate to have such a nice wildlife habitat to visit.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 16-Jul-13 11:52 AM
#8. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 7

Philadelphia, US

Thanks very much Tom. It was fun having you guys on the walk.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Tue 16-Jul-13 11:53 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Ned as you know I travel to the Caribbean a lot and one thing I've been looking for to photograph for about 2 years is the "Bee Hummingbird". It's actually a bird, in fact the worlds smallest. Google Bee Hummingbird. It's quite interesting.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 16-Jul-13 12:03 PM
#10. "RE: Insect mavens - Need ID help"
In response to Reply # 9

Philadelphia, US

Wow, less than 2 grams.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #159973 Previous topic | Next topic