nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #159379
View in linear mode

Subject: "My first BIF attempt" Previous topic | Next topic
burchan Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012 Sat 06-Jul-13 11:43 PM
304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My first BIF attempt"

Just returned from an ideal birds in flight location. I was keen to test my new 3oomm F4 lens with TC-14 E-II on D7000 camera.
Sitting target was no problem but birds in flight was something else. I tried AF-C with Dynamic 9pts, AF-A with Dynamic and Dynamic 3D. So what works for me. Nothing. Most of the images were out of focus regardless of the settings. I selected few that might pass. It is not as easy as it looks. Something just does not work. I used monopod for support.

D7000 300/f4,with TC-14E-II AF-C Dynamic 9point f/5.6 1/640s centre weighted metering ISO100 Monopod support

D7000 300/f4 with TC14E-II AF-A Dynamic f5.6, 1/1250s ISO180

D7000 300f4 with TC-14E-II AF-C Dynamic 9pts, 1/1600s ISO400

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My first BIF attempt af4nc Gold Member
06th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: My first BIF attempt burchan Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: My first BIF attempt DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: My first BIF attempt kathiemt Silver Member
07th Jul 2013
11th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: My first BIF attempt vcottman Silver Member
12th Jul 2013
13th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: My first BIF attempt birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
12th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: My first BIF attempt dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
12th Jul 2013
13th Jul 2013
Reply message RE: My first BIF attempt slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
15th Jul 2013
15th Jul 2013

af4nc Gold Member  Yardley, US  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007 Sat 06-Jul-13 11:57 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 0

Those you posted aren't bad for first attempt. Are you sure the others are out of focus, not motion blur. 300 mm with 1.4 TC and your shutter speed doesn't give you much room. I would use ISO 400 and 1200 of sec for shutter. Your camera does fine at ISOs up to 800 no problem. BIF does take time to master, keep at like I said, if that's your first attempt you doing better than I did! Keep at it, practice practice and more practice.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

burchan Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012 Sun 07-Jul-13 12:59 AM
304 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 1

>Those you posted aren't bad for first attempt. Are you
>sure the others are out of focus, not motion blur. 300 mm
>with 1.4 TC and your shutter speed doesn't give you much
>room. I would use ISO 400 and 1200 of sec for shutter.
>Your camera does fine at ISOs up to 800 no problem. BIF
>does take time to master, keep at like I said, if that's your
>first attempt you doing better than I did! Keep at it,
>practice practice and more practice.

Thank You Tom. I did discover that at higher shutter speeds images were better. Also using monopod did not effect my captures. In fact I found hand holding was difficult to frame bird when screen is almost filled. I also had lot of trouble with focus shifting so far out that I had to turn the lens focus by hand before I could use it. This was happening when some clouds were about.

DaddySS Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Woodcliff Lake NJ, & Jacksonvi, US  Nikonian since 26th Dec 2006 Sun 07-Jul-13 01:10 AM
863 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 0

Good start! It takes practice, remember to squeeze the shutter and follow through.

Richard

kathiemt Silver Member  Selby, AU  Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012 Sun 07-Jul-13 11:39 AM
158 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 3

I think you did well. It is a matter of practice. I remember my first BIFs were terrible. I'm improving all the time. And you will too, but I don't think what you've shown here are bad at all.

Kathie M. Thomas
Nikon D90 & D60, 35mm, 60mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 70-300mm and...
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kathiesphotos
Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Nikon-Lovers/

burchan Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012 Thu 11-Jul-13 10:49 PM
#5. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 4

>I think you did well. It is a matter of practice. I remember
>my first BIFs were terrible. I'm improving all the time. And
>you will too, but I don't think what you've shown here are bad
>at all.

Thank you Kathie. After examining my images I come to conclusion that it is only matter of practice. Focusing was good most of the time but shutter speed was set to slow and I had noticable motion. When I increased speed results were better. The main thing is that I am extrimely happy with my lens and with practice I can only improve.

vcottman Silver Member  Denver, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Fri 12-Jul-13 12:37 PM
7619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice series. Kestrels are very difficult to gain focus while in flight. Good job! Can you ID #2?

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

burchan Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012 Sat 13-Jul-13 01:04 AM
#9. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 6
Sat 13-Jul-13 09:44 AM by burchan

Can you ID #2?

Image 2 is Brahminy Kite or Sea Eagle. Quite common where I was shooting. It is in the coastal National Park and the headlands offers best opportunity because eagles frequently fly by in search for fish. Eagle is brown on top but mostly white under the wings. Attached are few more images of the eagle.I will try to do better next time.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

birdied Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Destrehan, US  Nikonian since 07th Sep 2009 Fri 12-Jul-13 04:20 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 0

These are much better than any first attempt I did. Very nice set!

When I shoot with the exact same setup I find if I do the following that my images are sharper:

Turn off high Iso noise reduction
Turn off dynamic lighting
Shoot in af-c 9 or21 points
Shutter min 1000 , but usually faster depending on lighting.
Aperture with the 1.4 tc I use 6.3 . Find it a bit sharper than the 5.6 . Also increases dof just a bit .

This all assumes you are shooting in raw.

You might want to try auto Iso . I will do this if lighting is changing quickly. I will set the max Iso to 800 or 1000. You will need to determine the noise level.

Birdie

Birdie

Choices Matter

Visit

www.birdied.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community   Lowden, US  Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006 Fri 12-Jul-13 10:54 PM
12284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 0

These are very good! You will get better in time but flying birds are always a challenge.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on image to view larger version
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports |Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2015

burchan Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012 Sat 13-Jul-13 09:43 AM
#10. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 13-Jul-13 09:46 AM by burchan

>These are very good! You will get better in time but flying
>birds are always a challenge.

Thank you.
Sometimes birds were to close and sometimes to far. Fly to fast. Can't find them in viewfinder, wrong lighting plus the wrong setting. It all adds up to quite challenge and lot of missed opportunity. But it was fun,

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest   Homestead, US  Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012 Mon 15-Jul-13 10:12 PM
1672 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice start. Keep at it and watch the improvement.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

burchan Silver Member  Sydney, AU  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2012 Mon 15-Jul-13 10:51 PM
#12. "RE: My first BIF attempt"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue 16-Jul-13 10:55 AM by burchan

>Nice start. Keep at it and watch the improvement.
>Rick

Thank you Rick. I must say that it was your images that have inspired me and it is the quality I wish to achieve.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #159379 Previous topic | Next topic