Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

High Key Loon

Morris in MT

Townsend, US
832 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007
Tue 02-Jul-13 03:13 AM

I was on a fishing trip to Tobin Lake, Saskatchewan Canada last week, and this Common Loon decided to check us out up close. I had been wanting to get close to a loon since I saw them there, but I didn't want to pester my hard-core fishing, non-photographer friends. Since I didn't happen to have a 40" Northern Pike on my line at the moment, as is so depressingly often the case, I drop the pole, made a mad dive for the camera bag! I already had on my 300mm F4, but I hadn't shot with it yet that morning. Fearing the little guy would dive again while I was checking/changing settings, I just started shooting, wanting to get at least a few frames before I tried to adjust settings. Took about 15 quick photos then I looked at the last shot on the monitor... GAH!! Waaaay over-exposed! And yes, the little rascal did dive before I could adjust my settings. Good thing I didn't try to get the Better Beamer on too!

Upon looking at the photos after getting home, I decided that I kinda like it! I think it is kinda cool, in a minimalist sort of way. Showed it to my most beloved (and brutally honest) critic, and she was like "Meh". And I was all "What?!". Isn't it funny how opposites attract?

So, I thought I had better get a second opinion, from some people who truly know high art (or a grotesquely blown-out photo) when they see it! I punched up the colors and the blacks in LR and Shadow/Highlights, about 50% crop and small sharpening in PS. All C&C is welcomed and appreciated! (Not just the second one to give me their opinion)

Oh, and Happy Canada Day to all Canadian Nikonians! I very much enjoyed my trip to your beautiful country!

D7000; 300mm F4; F8; 1/250th sec; ISO 800

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my website at http://kmorris99.zenfolio.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: High Key Loon