Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #159114
View in linear mode

Subject: "High Key Loon" Search result list | Previous match | Next match
Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 03:13 AM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"High Key Loon"

Townsend, US

I was on a fishing trip to Tobin Lake, Saskatchewan Canada last week, and this Common Loon decided to check us out up close. I had been wanting to get close to a loon since I saw them there, but I didn't want to pester my hard-core fishing, non-photographer friends. Since I didn't happen to have a 40" Northern Pike on my line at the moment, as is so depressingly often the case, I drop the pole, made a mad dive for the camera bag! I already had on my 300mm F4, but I hadn't shot with it yet that morning. Fearing the little guy would dive again while I was checking/changing settings, I just started shooting, wanting to get at least a few frames before I tried to adjust settings. Took about 15 quick photos then I looked at the last shot on the monitor... GAH!! Waaaay over-exposed! And yes, the little rascal did dive before I could adjust my settings. Good thing I didn't try to get the Better Beamer on too!

Upon looking at the photos after getting home, I decided that I kinda like it! I think it is kinda cool, in a minimalist sort of way. Showed it to my most beloved (and brutally honest) critic, and she was like "Meh". And I was all "What?!". Isn't it funny how opposites attract?

So, I thought I had better get a second opinion, from some people who truly know high art (or a grotesquely blown-out photo) when they see it! I punched up the colors and the blacks in LR and Shadow/Highlights, about 50% crop and small sharpening in PS. All C&C is welcomed and appreciated! (Not just the second one to give me their opinion)

Oh, and Happy Canada Day to all Canadian Nikonians! I very much enjoyed my trip to your beautiful country!

D7000; 300mm F4; F8; 1/250th sec; ISO 800

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my website at http://kmorris99.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: High Key Loon
Lunastar Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
Morris in MT Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
vcottman Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
02nd Jul 2013
polarpics Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
02nd Jul 2013
Izzie Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
03rd Jul 2013
rbsandor Gold Member
03rd Jul 2013
03rd Jul 2013
Watto Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
03rd Jul 2013
Biker Bill
03rd Jul 2013
03rd Jul 2013
AUMike Silver Member
03rd Jul 2013
03rd Jul 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
04th Jul 2013
slopoki1 Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
04th Jul 2013
hnease Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
05th Jul 2013

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 02-Jul-13 12:05 PM
3164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 02-Jul-13 12:05 PM by Lunastar

Mankato, US

It's a cool effect, Kelly. I'd probably tone down the eye a tad so she doesn't look so menacing

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 01:23 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 1

Townsend, US

Ha! My daughter said that it does look "creepy" because of the red eye, so there must be something to it! It is rather bright. Tone it down I shall! Thank you for looking and commenting, Mark!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 02-Jul-13 12:27 PM
7218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Nice shot Morris.

Thanks for sharing,

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 01:24 PM
#4. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 2

Townsend, US

Thank you, Vaughn!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

polarpics Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2013Tue 02-Jul-13 01:51 PM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Ontario, CA

Beautiful shot. I have seen a lot of Loons and taken many Loon pictures over the years but never thought to create something as striking as this picture.

Bill

Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering.

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 06:35 PM
#6. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 5

Townsend, US

Thank you very much, Bill! I wish I could take credit for having the artistic vision to have planned this shot, but it was, alas, an accident. Isn't it fun though, how we sometimes discover and/or learn about differrent techniques when we have these "accidents"?! I will now be more attuned to potential high-key photo opportunities in the future, and I just might capture one on purpose! Thank you for looking and commenting!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

Izzie Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2011Tue 02-Jul-13 09:29 PM
839 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 6

Chesterfield, US

I like your sense of humour....

Fly safe, drive safe and keep safe.
G'day and G'lock....
Izzie

GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS
My Nikonians Gallery

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 12:11 AM
#8. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 7

Townsend, US

Well now, I do appreciate that! Thank you very much for looking and commenting, Izzie!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 12:48 AM
1421 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Morris: there are shots that are unique and then there are shots that are unique and good. Yours is definitely the latter. Richard

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 03:31 AM
#10. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 9

Townsend, US

Thank you very much, Richard!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

Watto Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2010Wed 03-Jul-13 11:39 AM
560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Dongara, AU

Hi Kelly , love the effect you have created, it looks quite different and striking.

Cheers Glen

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 01:17 PM
#12. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 11

Townsend, US

Thank you very much, Glen!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

Biker Bill Registered since 01st Nov 2009Wed 03-Jul-13 02:48 PM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

I find that it is sometimes better to snap first and then hope for the best. It worked great in your case.

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 07:08 PM
#14. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 13

Townsend, US

I do have that happen from time-to-time, but most of the time it doesn't work out so good. And then sometimes I just get excited and forget to check the settings! Thank you very much for looking and commenting, Bill!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

AUMike Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Feb 2008Wed 03-Jul-13 08:49 PM
1152 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Birmingham, US

I tend to gravitate toward the artistic side of photography and really like this image. Well Done! Bring the eye down just a tad.

Mike

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 09:02 PM
#16. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 15

Townsend, US

Thank you very much, Mike! I realize this is very subjective, some will like it, some wont. Heck, my own wife and daughter don't even like it!
Yes, you are the 3rd person to comment on the eye, so bring it down, I will. Thank you for looking and commenting.

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Thu 04-Jul-13 12:20 AM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Interesting shot Kelly. Almost abstract art. Some great shots are often the result of accidents......Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Thu 04-Jul-13 12:40 AM
#18. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 17

Townsend, US

I thought "abstract art" too, when I finished the PP on it. I love it when the "good accidents" happen. It seems like another door has been opened to explore and learn.
Thank you for looking and commenting, Scotty!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Thu 04-Jul-13 02:37 AM
1382 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Interesting capture, very Artie look, well done.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Thu 04-Jul-13 03:46 AM
#20. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 19

Townsend, US

Thank you, Rick!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

hnease Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Aug 2012Fri 05-Jul-13 02:21 AM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 0

Germantown, US

Definitely arty -- in fact at first glance my thought was that it was a watercolor! I like it

Howard

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007Fri 05-Jul-13 05:10 AM
#22. "RE: High Key Loon"
In response to Reply # 21

Townsend, US

Thank you, Howard. Yes, it is definitely different.

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #159114Search result list | Previous match | Next match

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.