Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #159067
View in linear mode

Subject: "Feeding time" Search result list | Previous match | Next match
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Mon 01-Jul-13 08:00 PM
4405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Feeding time"

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi all.

One of the more interesting bird behaviors I encountered on my recent trip to Florida was the feeding behavior of the Anhingas. The chick sticks it beak down the parent's throat rather than the reverse as is true of the Egrets and Herons. Here is a shot from the Venice Rookery in Florida taken with my 600 f/4 and 1.4tc on my D3s and Series 5 Gitzo with Wimberley Gimbal.

More shots from the trip are in my gallery here:
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/24921

As always, any comments, criticism or advice very welcome.

JIM

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Feeding time
Biker Bill Gold Member
01st Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
03rd Jul 2013
dm1dave Administrator
02nd Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
vcottman Silver Member
02nd Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
02nd Jul 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
04th Jul 2013
dda53 Gold Member
04th Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
04th Jul 2013
slopoki1 Silver Member
04th Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
04th Jul 2013
Countryboy Silver Member
05th Jul 2013
jgould2 Gold Member
05th Jul 2013

Biker Bill Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Nov 2009Mon 01-Jul-13 08:20 PM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Very nice bird behavior I am sure you had a lot of pictures that you did not put in your gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 06:37 PM
4405 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 04-Jul-13 01:08 AM by jgould2

Hi Bill.

Thanks for commenting. I do have a ton of other pictures from the trip

JIM

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 03-Jul-13 06:00 PM
#7. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 03-Jul-13 06:04 PM by jgould2

Hi Bill.

Here is another shot of the male Anhinga feeding it's chick:

And here is one of the female:

JIM

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Tue 02-Jul-13 01:23 AM
11421 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice work Jim!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 06:38 PM
#5. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Dave.

Thanks. It was a glorious place to shoot and observe.

JIM

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 02-Jul-13 12:40 PM
7217 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Great action Jim!

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Tue 02-Jul-13 06:40 PM
#6. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Vaughn.

Thanks, it was a great place to shoot. I've missed this forum.

JIM

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Thu 04-Jul-13 12:32 AM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Nice series Jim. I've watched Pelicans feed their young the same way. They must be affected by the mothers stomach gasses. As they appear very groggy & disorientated for awhile after feeding. I haven't observed our Darters, or Snake Birds, (Anhinga melanogaster) feeding. I'd imagine it would have the same affect on their young as well.....Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 04-Jul-13 06:15 PM
#11. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 8

Hi Scotty.

Thanks for your most interesting observation on Pelican feeding behavior. I have to say that I did not notice the same grogginess in the Anhingas but then again I wasn't watching for it. Next time I get the opportunity I will pay closer attention to this detail.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

JIM

dda53 Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Oct 2008Thu 04-Jul-13 12:37 AM
376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 0

Pasadena, US

Nice behavior capture. Pretty neat watching.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 04-Jul-13 06:16 PM
#12. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi David.

Thanks, I was really jazzed at having the opportunity.

JIM

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Thu 04-Jul-13 02:33 AM
1342 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Nice behavioral shot Jim.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 04-Jul-13 06:18 PM
#13. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 10

Hi Rick.

Thanks, it was great fun. I can't wait to go back. In fact I am thinking of moving to Florida just for all the birding opportunities.

JIM

Countryboy Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Mar 2007Fri 05-Jul-13 02:16 AM
4329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Jul-13 02:32 AM by Countryboy

Jackson, US

Hi Jim. A very interesting behavior image and I appreciate the facts that you shared.
Thanks for posting. I would like to see more from this spot, as I get out that way occasionally. Actually I recall that you have posted from there before!

Tom

PS, I didn't see the other pics at first. Nice. Also, I was thinking they were shot in California, where you live. But I am interested in the Venice Rookery and going to Florida is a possibility for me. I probably shouldn't post when I am so sleepy. I should have read more closely or realized that there are no rookeries or birds like this in Venice, Ca. Duh!

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Fri 05-Jul-13 02:30 AM
#15. "RE: Feeding time"
In response to Reply # 14

Hi Tom.

Thanks. In my original post for this thread I posted a link to my gallery on Nikonians that has more of my Venice Rookery shots. I have also made a couple of other posts already from the Venice Rookery.

By all means if you can stop by there, especially in March through May, I would urge you to do so. I always enjoy your photos.

JIM

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #159067Search result list | Previous match | Next match

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.