nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
rbsandor

Denver, US
1743 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007
Wed 19-Jun-13 12:21 AM

I'm fortunate enough to have had a family of Mountain Bluebirds take up residence in a bit of rain gutter that fits under a roof in my backyard. I've set up a camera that lines up with some trees that are 25 feet directly in front of me. The parents land in a tree top and then fly off at about a 45 degree angle to the nest. I've managed to get off a few shots that are in focus, but think it is more luck than skill.
I use AF-ON focusing and have tried 9,21,51 and 51-3D focus points along with shutter speeds of 1/3200 and 1/4000. I know that I can raise the shutter speed, but then I get in to very high ISOs. None of the focus point choices seems superior to the others.
My method is to keep the AF-ON button pressed in and focused on the bird. The shutter is pressed when the bird flies. I'm getting about 1 in 100 that are sharp or reasonably so. The birds don't give any indication of flight before they rocket off.
If anyone has any suggestions as to how to improve, I'd be most happy to listen and try. Camera and lens combo is a D4 and 500 f/4 with 1.4 TC. Thanks, Richard

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: BIF Question
Reply message RE: BIF Question