nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #157993
View in linear mode

Subject: "GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL" Previous topic | Next topic
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Mon 03-Jun-13 06:01 PM
4437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
Tue 04-Jun-13 05:41 AM by jgould2

Fort Pierce, US

Hi all.

Just got back from a short trip to Lancaster, CA where I got chased out by a large forest fire. So here is another pic from my 6 week trip to Florida.

Taken with my Nikon 600 f/4 and TC14 on my D3s on Series 5 Gitzo with Wimberley glimbal. Another early morning shot. This one is of a Great Blue Heron doing a little nest-building.

You can see this gallery here: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=24921

As always, any comments, criticisms or advice very welcome.

JIM

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
12th Jun 2013
af4nc Gold Member
13th Jun 2013
jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit.
14th Jun 2013
Gene Duprey
14th Jun 2013
15th Jun 2013
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine
14th Jun 2013
15th Jun 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
19th Jun 2013
20th Jun 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
15th Jun 2013
17th Jun 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
17th Jun 2013
19th Jun 2013
Biker Bill
18th Jun 2013
19th Jun 2013

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 12-Jun-13 04:43 PM
4437 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Pierce, US

Hi all.

Just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion about the light in this photo?

JIM

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Thu 13-Jun-13 01:15 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Nice capture. I like the light, nice job!

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Fri 14-Jun-13 06:02 PM
#3. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 2

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Tom.

Thanks so much. I was really jazzed to be at the Venice Rookery on such a perfect morning. I was hoping it wasn't just me that thought the light was great.

JIM

Gene Duprey Registered since 08th Feb 2013Fri 14-Jun-13 11:16 PM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 3

Cedar Rapids, US

Light OK to me, along with nice exposure and composition.

Cheers,
Gene

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sat 15-Jun-13 01:37 AM
#6. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 4

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Gene.

Thanks for commenting! Much appreciated.

JIM

gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004Fri 14-Jun-13 11:26 PM
3811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 0

Farmington Hills, US

Jim

I'd prefer a portrait mode crop. That would fill the frame with the heron and eliminate the out of focus bird on the lower left that bothers me.

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300, D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Sat 15-Jun-13 01:42 AM
#7. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 5

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Gary.

Thanks for your advice. I was concentrating more on the birds' behaviors and less on composition. That oof bird was bugging me too. The portrait mode crop looks much better, thanks.

JIM

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Wed 19-Jun-13 08:16 PM
2956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 7

Hectorspruit, ZA

I would agree to the crop. The light is superb.

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Thu 20-Jun-13 02:49 PM
#15. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 14

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Aart.

Thanks for confirming the crop. I appreciate all the advice I can get.

JIM

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 15-Jun-13 11:17 PM
11899 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Greta light and super sharp. I agree with Gary about the oof bird in the foreground.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Mon 17-Jun-13 04:45 AM
#9. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 8

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Dave.

Great to hear from you. Have you been doing a lot of kayaking lately?

JIM

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Mon 17-Jun-13 04:21 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Wow, nice shot and light.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 19-Jun-13 05:17 PM
#12. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 10

Fort Pierce, US

Hi John.

Thanks so much for commenting. The Venice Rookery was a great place to shoot in the early morning.

JIM

Biker Bill Registered since 01st Nov 2009Tue 18-Jun-13 12:54 AM
929 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Nice photo. I looked at your gallery also. If you get a chance check out Wakodafatchee Wetlands in Delray Beach and Green Cay Nature Center in Boynton Beach. They are both within 3 miles of each other on Florida's east coast.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Wed 19-Jun-13 05:28 PM
#13. "RE: GBH at the Venice Rookery, FL"
In response to Reply # 11

Fort Pierce, US

Hi Bill.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and I also appreciate your advice on where to shoot in Florida. I may be moving there in six months or a year so would have lots of time to check out all the great birding spots! Delray Beach is fairly close to Fort Pierce which is where I intend moving to.

JIM

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #157993 Previous topic | Next topic