nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #155758
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tricolored Heron Silhouette" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 02-May-13 05:17 PM
8926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Tricolored Heron Silhouette"
Thu 02-May-13 05:18 PM by ericbowles

Atlanta, US

Many times we face harsh lighting and struggle with solutions.

On a recent trip to the St. Augustine Alligator Farm, sunset was approaching so the subjects to the west were strongly backlit. It's always tough to come up with original images, so in this case I decided to create a silhouete.

This was taken with the Nikon D800E, 600 f/4 AFS, and TC14E II. Shooting settings were Manual exposure mode, 1/1000 sec, f/8, ISO 200. Post processing was minimal in Capture NX2. I left it in color to keep the backlighting color around the head.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Tricolored Heron Silhouette
Quickone4u Silver Member
02nd May 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
02nd May 2013
massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
02nd May 2013
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
02nd May 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
02nd May 2013

Quickone4u Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2008Thu 02-May-13 04:14 PM
620 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Tricolored Heron Silhouette"
In response to Reply # 0

Dry Fork, US

Nice shot Eric! Reminds me of the Alfred Hitchcock silhouette! I like the little bits of color coming in from the fringe of the feathers. Different but works for me. Thanks for sharing!

Mike
Dry Fork,Va.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 02-May-13 05:20 PM
8926 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Tricolored Heron Silhouette"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

Thanks, Mike. This is certainly not a technique I'd use often, but nice to have in the kit.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 07th May 2002Thu 02-May-13 04:32 PM
10895 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Tricolored Heron Silhouette"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Excellent--only nit are white spots on back and lower right corner....

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D610

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 02-May-13 05:19 PM
#3. "RE: Tricolored Heron Silhouette"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

Thanks, Preston - I cleaned up some of the edge reflections and spaces where light was shining through feathers.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 02-May-13 05:38 PM
11754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Tricolored Heron Silhouette"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Thats cool! Nice work - creative thinking outside of the box.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #155758 Previous topic | Next topic