nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Great Egret with D800e and 400/3.5 AI-S

gpoole

Farmington Hills, US
3881 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine Nikonian since 14th Feb 2004
Sun 28-Apr-13 10:53 PM | edited Tue 30-Apr-13 12:16 AM by gpoole

I took my D800e and 400/3.5 AI-S to the small nearby wetlands yesterday. A few days ago I say a GBH wading there, today it was a Great Egret. All these pictures were made with the TC301 2x TC at ISO 400. The Egret was about 200 ft. from the camera. All images were focused manually (I had no choice) just by judging the sharpness in the viewfinder. I did not try to use the green dot from the AF system.

The numbers below each image is the crop before downsizing for the post. After a year I'm still amazed at how deep you can crop an image from the D800e. for reference, full frame on the D800/D800e is 7360 x 4912 for 36.3 Mpix.

At first I just saw the Egret striding around in the water.

Click on image to view larger version

f/5.6 croped to 3113 x 2490 (7.8 Mpix)

Then it started looking down into the water.

f/8 2744 x 2195 (6.0 Mpix)

Soon it's head disappeared under the water

f/8 1940 x 1551 (3.0 Mpix)

And it came up with a fish. This is actually the 3rd one I saw it catch.

f/8 1941 x 1553 (3.0 Mpix)

The egret swallowed it whole

f/8 2036 x 1629 (3.3 Mpix)

And went backing looking for more

f/8 2124 x 1699 (3.6 Mpix)
Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Gary in SE Michigan, USA. Co-organizer of the Southern Michigan Chapter
Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera.
D4, D810, D300 (720nm IR conversion), D90, F6, FM3a (black), FM2n (chrome)
YashicaMat 124, Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5
My Nikonians Gallery & Our Chapter Gallery

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Great Egret with D800e and 400/3.5 AI-S jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
29th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Great Egret with D800e and 400/3.5 AI-S gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine
30th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Great Egret with D800e and 400/3.5 AI-S dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
30th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Great Egret with D800e and 400/3.5 AI-S gpoole Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundrasing Campaing 2014 Writer Ribbon awarded for his article contributions for the Articles library and the eZine
30th Apr 2013
Reply message RE: Great Egret with D800e and 400/3.5 AI-S mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
04th May 2013
04th May 2013

G