Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #15491
View in linear mode

Subject: "Zoo-life shots with the 18-200" Previous topic | Next topic
kocho Basic MemberWed 16-Jan-08 01:26 PM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"

Metro DC, US

As expected, unfortunately, it is not even close to the 80-400 in terms of image quality...

Still, if you can get within range, it can capture a few things

The first two are behind thick and rather dirty glass, the cat - behind a pretty dense fence, so these obstructions have decreased the overall contrast somewhat...

Here's a slightly larger shot of the cat: "http://www.pbase.com/kocho/image/55101522/original.jpg"

http://www.pbase.com/kocho/image/55101523/large.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/kocho/image/55101526/original.jpg

My PBase Gallery Favorites

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200
bigcat
21st Jan 2006
kocho
21st Jan 2006
jwenting Silver Member
21st Jan 2006
peterah
23rd Jan 2006
fredster Gold Member
21st Jan 2006
massulo Gold Member
22nd Jan 2006
kocho
23rd Jan 2006
massulo Gold Member
23rd Jan 2006

bigcat Basic MemberSat 21-Jan-06 05:36 AM
696 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton,

Great captures. As a lover of bigcats the last one is my favourite. I find the only thing with Zoo shots is that the animals feelings are shown in their eyes, to my mind the cat looks sad, but then that is only my opinion as I'm not keen on Zoo's.

bigcat

kocho Basic MemberSat 21-Jan-06 01:41 PM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"
In response to Reply # 1

Metro DC, US

The keepers just fed the cat. They put a mounthfull of food in about ten places scattered around the cage. The cat was surprisingly efficient in running from one food piece to another and gobbled-up the meat/mice very fast. I think it looked "annoyed" from having to move so much for each bite. It was also very focused to find the next one, like in the shot here...

Regardless, eventhough it was not a wild animal, it was hard to capture a good shot as it never stopped still for more than a split second...

jwenting Silver Member Nikonian since 06th May 2002Sat 21-Jan-06 07:16 PM
2118 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"
In response to Reply # 1

Almere,

The animals are in many ways better off than they would be in the wild.
No fear of predators, lack of food, disease, poachers.

And in the fact that they're not free to go as they please they're hardly more restrained than the people coming to visit them, most of whom are bound hands and feet to their mortgages, jobs, alimony, etc. etc.

In a perfect world there would be no zoos but there'd be no need for zoos as everyone would be able to see wildlife for themselves in the wild.
Most people though will never see any wild animals except pidgeons, jackdaws, and gulls gobbling up the garbage in their cities.
And many animal species were it not for research and captive breeding programs (and the fact that kids get taken to the zoo to see them and get interested in conservation) now performed in most zoos would be extinct or fast on the way to extinction.

any size is fullframe for a given definition of frame

peterah Registered since 29th Oct 2005Mon 23-Jan-06 06:03 AM
718 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"
In response to Reply # 3

Durban, ZA

I have to chip in here with some thoughts:

>The animals are in many ways better off than they would be
>in the wild.
>No fear of predators, lack of food, disease, poachers.

I think that is a very high price to pay for the lack of freedom to roam in their native country.

>And in the fact that they're not free to go as they please
>they're hardly more restrained than the people coming to
>visit them, most of whom are bound hands and feet to their
>mortgages, jobs, alimony, etc. etc.

People are only restrained due to mortgages, jobs, etc because that is what they choose. Everyone has a choice - most people choose to have a 9-5 job to pay for things that they want. Most of these things are not necessary for survival - they are nice to have. Animals do not choose to live in a cage - they are placed there by people with (hopefully) good intentions. This however doesn't detract from the fact that a large wild animal will not choose to live in captivity. The only time I can justify capture and when an animal is being rehabilitated for release later on.

Hopefully I am not stepping on too many toes.
Best regards

Peter Howells
South Africa
http://www.pbase.com/peterhowells

Peter
http://www.peterhowells.co.za

fredster Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Sep 2002Sat 21-Jan-06 08:58 PM
2487 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"
In response to Reply # 0

US

These are some great shots! one is better than the other! great captures.

Fredster

A Free Spirit
http://www.fredstersphotos.com
http://www.pbase.com/fredster/freddys_photos

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sun 22-Jan-06 09:22 PM
10166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

these are great shots regardless of the lens thathat you used. Are you disappointed in the lens, wont reccomend it. I was thinking of getting it and selling my 28-105

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

kocho Basic MemberMon 23-Jan-06 02:29 AM
#6. "RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"
In response to Reply # 5

Metro DC, US

>these are great shots regardless of the lens thathat you
>used. Are you disappointed in the lens, wont reccomend it. I
>was thinking of getting it and selling my 28-105

Are you asking if I am disappointed with the lens? I'm not. I expected it to be pretty much what it is (I was hoping that it would be more than what it turned out to be, but that's another story ).

My comment was that the 80-400 is sharper, has twice the range on the long end, has no light fall-off wide open. I can't compare to the 28-105, only to the kit 18-70 - they are about equal with a slight edge to the 18-200 in most respects excecpt corner shaprness when open and distorsion in the mid range zoom lengths.

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Mon 23-Jan-06 04:40 AM
10166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Zoo-life shots with the 18-200"
In response to Reply # 6

Tampa/Lutz, US

thanks for the reply!!

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #15491 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.