Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #154726
View in linear mode

Subject: "red morph screech owl with D7100..." Previous topic | Next topic
Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 07-Apr-13 10:10 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"red morph screech owl with D7100..."

Grimsby, CA

I was anxious to shoot this owl with the D7100, especially to compare the results with Richard's use of the 600 f4 VR & TC-20EIII on his D300. http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=161&topic_id=153784&mesg_id=153784&page=4 . The D7100 with 500 f4 AF-S & TC-17E produces about the same crop size in this case (2000 x 3000 pixels, 6 MP). To my eye they're surprisingly close. D7100 w/ 500 f4 AF-S & TC-17E, 1/800 f7.1 ISO 200.

By the way, I used Jason Odell's D800 technique to sharpen this shot: http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2012/06/29/get-sharp-with-the-nikon-d800/.

Jim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Sun 07-Apr-13 11:28 PM
4171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: red morph screech owl with D7100..."
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Excellent,Jim. Thanks for the sharpening link. I have a D7100 on order and will try his sharpening recipe out.

Rick

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 10-Apr-13 07:07 PM
5889 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: red morph screech owl with D7100..."
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Hi Jim from the north east coast of Florida. Nice tones, from what I've seen of this camera in bright sunlight, the extra EV of the sensor really comes through.

Can't really judge the sharpness/IQ properly, I'm viewing this and tryin to do some edits on my wife's old DELL laptop - monitor is just terrible!

Thanks for the links to the sharpening techniques, I'm finding I really need to experiment with this, but am getting frustrated working on the old laptop.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #154726 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.