nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #153938
View in linear mode

Subject: "Snow Buntings" Previous topic | Next topic
larrycurrlymoe Silver Member  Calgary, CA  Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009 Tue 19-Mar-13 12:13 AM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Snow Buntings"

I had a terrific hour with a large flock of Snow Buntings on Saturday. Heavy overcast skies, -15C 30-40 km winds, an overall nasty day. But I had the good fortune to get "inside the flock" for a couple of acceptable shots (at least ones that I am happy with, and I have a much lower standard that most that post here.)
Nikon D7000
Sigma 120-300mm OS F2.8 with 1.4 TC
ISO 400 1/800 F8

No crop on this image.

Best images I have yet for this tough little bird. I also love the fact that is spring, and the breeding colours are appearing.
Turbo

Turbo

turbostrackandtour.blogspot.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Snow Buntings Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
19th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Snow Buntings larrycurrlymoe Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Snow Buntings cockers Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
19th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Snow Buntings mkbee1 Silver Member
19th Mar 2013
19th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Snow Buntings ehall Silver Member
20th Mar 2013
21st Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: Snow Buntings tincam7
24th Mar 2013
25th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: Snow Buntings thecad Gold Member
24th Mar 2013

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography   Philadelphia, US  Charter Member Tue 19-Mar-13 01:21 AM
7331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 0

That first one is especially good. That's a tough bird to catch so well.

Nice.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member  Calgary, CA  Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009 Tue 19-Mar-13 02:48 AM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the kind words, I find these birds really tough to get close to, and I find their colouring at a distance a challenge to AF

Turbo

cockers Silver Member  Plover, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Tue 19-Mar-13 01:21 PM
4469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 0

WOW -
Paul, I'm jealous. I've never been able to get anywhere near as close to these guys as you have. Really well done!

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member  Calgary, CA  Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:22 PM
#5. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 3

Well there is a bit of a trick that you have to employ. I'd post my buddy's shot but he shoots Canon and would break the rules her
He has a shot of me laying on the edge of the road while they swarmed. You can get a glimpse at my blog. I expect there between 4 and 7000 birds in the flock. Largest single flock of these beauties I've ever seen. First time this year that I have become "part of the environment"
I really appreciate the compliment.
Turbo

Turbo

mkbee1 Silver Member  West Valley, US  Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012 Tue 19-Mar-13 07:05 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 0

Yo,dude; If that is your "lower standard", I'm really gonna be jealous of the "higher" one! Great pixes!

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member  Calgary, CA  Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009 Tue 19-Mar-13 11:24 PM
#6. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks, I like them too! I didn't say that "these" shots barely made the cut Thanks for the kind words.
Turbo

Turbo

ehall Silver Member  South Orange, US  Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012 Wed 20-Mar-13 05:35 PM
377 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 0

Great shots, thanks for sharing.
Emory

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member  Calgary, CA  Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009 Thu 21-Mar-13 01:17 AM
#8. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks for the kind words Emory!

Turbo

tincam7   US  Registered since 07th Sep 2012 Sun 24-Mar-13 11:01 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 8

Beautiful images! I love the color and composition. 1 and 2 are my favorites. Nice work!

— Cameron

Check out my photography at www.tincam.weebly.com
Photographer | Teacher | Nikonian

larrycurrlymoe Silver Member  Calgary, CA  Nikonian since 13th Feb 2009 Mon 25-Mar-13 02:38 AM
#11. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 9

Thanks for the kind words!
Turbo

Turbo

thecad Gold Member  Grovetown, US  Nikonian since 19th Jan 2013 Sun 24-Mar-13 11:43 AM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Snow Buntings"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice shots, love the first one.

James Cadwell

When your mouth drops open, click the shutter. -- Harold Feinstein

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #153938 Previous topic | Next topic