nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #153607
View in linear mode

Subject: "screech owl calling...(added red morph)" Previous topic | Next topic
Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 09-Mar-13 03:16 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"screech owl calling...(added red morph)"
Sat 09-Mar-13 08:34 PM by Jim Pearce

Grimsby, CA

In late light this afternoon. D300 w/ 500 f4 AF-S & TC-14E, 1/80 f7.1 ISO 400

Red morph from this morning. D300 w/ 500 f4 AF-S & TC-17E, 1/500 f8 ISO 250

Jim

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: screech owl calling...
labtrout Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
NatureDon Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Fred, Don...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Scott...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
VR8 Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Victor, but...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
CK Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Reply message thanks CK...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
09th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: screech owl calling...(added red morph)
slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
10th Mar 2013
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
14th Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Rick, Richard...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
14th Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: thanks Rick, Richard...
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
15th Mar 2013
          Reply message RE: thanks Rick, Richard...
Brian_S
15th Mar 2013
               Reply message thanks Brian...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
17th Mar 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
15th Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Aart...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
17th Mar 2013

labtrout Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Sat 09-Mar-13 11:16 AM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: screech owl calling..."
In response to Reply # 0

Bristol, US

Talk about blending in with your environment. Beautifully captured with great detail. Nicely done.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

NatureDon Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007Sat 09-Mar-13 12:09 PM
1039 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: screech owl calling..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I could look at this all day. Beautiful bird well captured, and great setting. Seems the bird on this tree would make a great print, especially to compliment an earth-tone décor.

Don

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 09-Mar-13 08:59 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "thanks Fred, Don..."
In response to Reply # 2

Grimsby, CA

It seems recently Don that I have been looking at owls all day...through the viewfinder!

Jim

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sat 09-Mar-13 02:04 PM
6669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: screech owl calling..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Beautiful capture Jim. It is amazing just how much he blends in.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 09-Mar-13 09:01 PM
#7. "thanks Scott..."
In response to Reply # 3

Grimsby, CA

Quite a few passersby at the park just can't see her, period!

Jim

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sat 09-Mar-13 07:10 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: screech owl calling..."
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Amazing shot, may well help Nikon sell more 500mm lense

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 09-Mar-13 09:03 PM
#8. "thanks Victor, but..."
In response to Reply # 4

Grimsby, CA

This wouldn't serve Nikon's interest: they'd have to explain how a 16 year old lens could be this good.

Jim

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Sat 09-Mar-13 07:16 PM
1805 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: screech owl calling..."
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Gotta say, Jim, of all your recent owl shots, this has to be my favourite! I really like the full face and the symmetry of the tree bark surrounding the bird. Thanks for sharing.
Take care,
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 09-Mar-13 09:06 PM
#9. "thanks CK..."
In response to Reply # 5

Grimsby, CA

To be honest, I've taken so many hundreds of owl shots this winter that I've lost perspective. I thought maybe the picture was too symmetrical, but there was no clear way to unbalance it.

Jim

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Sun 10-Mar-13 01:56 AM
1596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: screech owl calling...(added red morph)"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Great shots Jim.
I love how they can blend themselves in to the trees like that.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Thu 14-Mar-13 11:40 PM
6144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: screech owl calling...(added red morph)"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Nicely done, not sure what you could do to improve crop on the first, (other than maybe try a square crop). Great to see her and the red morph with their eyes open. Great lighting on both as well.

I did manage to find the red morph on Sunday, after an hour & a half wait, and again today - but lighting was quite harsh on both ocassions.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Thu 14-Mar-13 11:55 PM
#12. "thanks Rick, Richard..."
In response to Reply # 11

Grimsby, CA

Both owls respond to the calls at times (I wasn't playing them, but I took full advantage). Richard, I'm looking forward to trying the red morph with the D7100 with the TC-17E in 1.3x crop mode if I can get my hands on a D7100. 1600mm 35mm equivalent!

Jim

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 15-Mar-13 12:27 AM
6144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: thanks Rick, Richard..."
In response to Reply # 12

Mississauga, CA

I'm looking forward to seeing those Jim, I'm on the edge, but someone still needs to push me over!

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Brian_S Registered since 28th Jan 2011Fri 15-Mar-13 02:37 AM
614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: thanks Rick, Richard..."
In response to Reply # 13

Thunder Bay, CA

nice images again Jim, #1, geez this guy sure melts right into his surroundings, would have to really be looking to spot him

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 17-Mar-13 06:28 PM
#16. "thanks Brian..."
In response to Reply # 14

Grimsby, CA

You really have to look for the eyes first.

Jim

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Fri 15-Mar-13 04:55 AM
2956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: screech owl calling...(added red morph)"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

Jim, Thank you for posting #1. I think it is an outstanding capture using a superb lens.

Aart

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 17-Mar-13 06:29 PM
#17. "thanks Aart..."
In response to Reply # 15

Grimsby, CA

Not bad for a 16 year old lens!

Jim

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #153607 Previous topic | Next topic