nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #153224
View in linear mode

Subject: "a dull day on Burlington Bay..." Previous topic | Next topic
Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sat 02-Mar-13 03:28 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"a dull day on Burlington Bay..."

Grimsby, CA

Really brought out the blues in the wood duck. The trumpeter swans were trumpeting, and the coots as crazy as ever. D300s w/ 300 f2.8 VR, f5.6 ISO 250

1/800 ISO 250

1/400 ISO 400

1/400 ISO 400

1/500 ISO 250

Jim

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay...
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
02nd Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Richard...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Aart...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
cockers Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Al, Scotty...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
niknac37 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Mar 2013
Tallow Silver Member
03rd Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Pakku, Dave...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
STAN__LEE Gold Member Donor Ribbon Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Stan...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
03rd Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Ned...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
     Reply message RE: thanks Ned...
Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography
04th Mar 2013
ehall Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
04th Mar 2013
Reply message thanks Emory, Rick...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
05th Mar 2013

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sat 02-Mar-13 04:37 PM
6108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

An "in-your-face-shot" of the swan Jim! Nicely executed.

You can really see how the light tones down the harshness contrast and also the saturation in the Wood Duck. Really like the face-on / 3/4 view of the duck, nice range of tones show through.

Great shot of the coot as well. Love the texture on its flanks and the defracted view of its foot in the water (surface of which also looks soft but steely).

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Sun 03-Mar-13 04:16 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "thanks Richard..."
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 03-Mar-13 03:12 PM by Jim Pearce

Grimsby, CA

I was particularly pleased with the coot shot: Likely the first time I've felt I've captured all of the DR and detail in this difficult bird.

Jim

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Sun 03-Mar-13 06:21 AM
2882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

The "coot", never heard of it before, is my favorite shot. I have never seen water like this, it is obvious crystal clear and flowing fast? The crispness of the whole bird, the little droplet on the beak, reflected in the water makes it very special. The water in the background round it of superbly. If this were mine I would framed it in a very prominent place.

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 04-Mar-13 12:36 AM
#10. "thanks Aart..."
In response to Reply # 3

Grimsby, CA

The american coot is a very common member of the rail family, related to moorhens. The shot was taken on Burlington Bay at the western tip of Lake Ontario.

Jim

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Sun 03-Mar-13 10:50 AM
4361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Beautiful images Jim!

Al

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Sun 03-Mar-13 10:51 AM
1376 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

All nice shots Jim. #3 would be my pick of them.....Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 04-Mar-13 12:40 AM
#11. "thanks Al, Scotty..."
In response to Reply # 5

Grimsby, CA

The dull light really "opened up" the colours and feather structure on the wood duck's back.

Jim

niknac37 Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 03rd Dec 2007Sun 03-Mar-13 01:23 PM
1886 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

Mysore, IN

Difficult to choose the best but my fav is no 1, the bird shows off all its colours and nice patterns. TFS

Pakku

Tallow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2009Sun 03-Mar-13 09:04 PM
962 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

Niagara-on-the-Lake, CA

they are all fantastic shots Jim. I do like the swan shot the best though.. Have you noticed the wood duck rarely opens his left eye? I have a couple hundred images and not of them have the left eye open. Either he was winking at me or there is something wrong. That aside, he is a beautiful bird

Dave

Visit my 500px gallery.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 04-Mar-13 12:42 AM
#12. "thanks Pakku, Dave..."
In response to Reply # 7

Grimsby, CA

I think he took a peck in the eye from one of the mallards Saturday morning. I noticed he was less aggressive too.

Jim

STAN__LEE Gold Member Donor Ribbon Awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Charter MemberSun 03-Mar-13 10:38 PM
6703 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

ROSEVILLE, US

Wonderful shot of the Coot, Jim.

Stan Miller
A Roseville, CA Nikonian

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 04-Mar-13 12:43 AM
#13. "thanks Stan..."
In response to Reply # 8

Grimsby, CA

Always a challenging bird to photograph.

Jim

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberSun 03-Mar-13 11:35 PM
6837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Marvelous composition and detail in the series. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 04-Mar-13 12:47 AM
#14. "thanks Ned..."
In response to Reply # 9

Grimsby, CA

It was perfect light for detail, and it's hard to beat a 300 f2.8 VR at close range.

Jim

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberMon 04-Mar-13 02:20 AM
6837 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: thanks Ned..."
In response to Reply # 14

Philadelphia, US

It is a wonderful lens Jim, and the light does look like it was ideal, but don't kid yourself...you had to be "on the ball" to get those images.

Ned
A Nikonians Team Member

-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog and my Galleries.

ehall Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012Mon 04-Mar-13 08:28 AM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.
Emory

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Mon 04-Mar-13 11:31 PM
1507 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: a dull day on Burlington Bay..."
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Nice set Jim. Great detail.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 05-Mar-13 02:11 AM
#18. "thanks Emory, Rick..."
In response to Reply # 17

Grimsby, CA

Unfortunately Rick, here in Ontario I don't get the opportunities with the 300mm that I'd like to!

Jim

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #153224 Previous topic | Next topic