nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152981
View in linear mode

Subject: "Playing with -EV" Previous topic | Next topic
tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Mon 25-Feb-13 03:59 AM
4553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Playing with -EV"

Goa, IN

I've not had a good migrants season and it is coming to an end soon. I guess I can blame it on world weather changing but my normal haunts are just not up to par for water levels, vegetation and birds!

The Kingfishers and Harriers are still around and fun but getting bored with them.

Out of boredom I have been playing with what I have. These are some from last month just to get some opinions
All shot with D3S, 300 2.8vr w/tc at -2 or -1 EV

obviously click image for larger and exif

TC1.7

TC2

TC2

TC2

Just trying for different images so candid thoughts please
Cheers,
Tom

Manuel Sousa - alias... T.D.Hardin
http://taja.smugmug.com/
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Playing with -EV
jot2nik Gold Member
25th Feb 2013
af4nc Gold Member
25th Feb 2013
Jim Pearce Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Thanks Guys....
tommiejeep Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
     Reply message Tom...
Jim Pearce Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
04th Mar 2013
tommiejeep Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
VR8 Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
jimmills Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
tommiejeep Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
tommiejeep Silver Member
05th Mar 2013
dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape
04th Mar 2013
tommiejeep Silver Member
05th Mar 2013

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Mon 25-Feb-13 02:50 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Tom, like your images, very sharp and I like the dark back grounds for a different look and isolates the birds.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Mon 25-Feb-13 11:45 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

These are great shots. Quality over quantity.

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 26-Feb-13 02:59 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

Love the first and third Tom. The first looks like a cattle egret, but I'm not sure what it is there. I assume that the third is an immature heron?

Jim

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Tue 26-Feb-13 04:17 AM
4553 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Thanks Guys...."
In response to Reply # 3

Goa, IN

The D3S is a lot of fun for action shots and I keep playing with shooting white birds .

Jim, right on with the Cattle Egret. They are more interesting in Breeding Plumage . The Second one is a female Bronze Winged Jacana. Tough to get in flight and normally only at distance. This was a two shot wonder and the second was showing me its' rear.

The other two are the Indian Pond Heron of which I have plenty and they are always good for action...lots of frogs and fish get eaten .

The fourth image was actually two clicks before the 3rd.

Jim, I'm probably going to get the D7100 but buffer.... this is a jpeg out of camera from yesterday. I shot 204+ of this KF/fish with the D3S. It took the Kingfisher different four goes (fish in throat) to finally get it eaten! Lots of funny shots and I'll have see which ones to PP. The D3S buffer had a problem even with me stopping to change settings a couple of times
500vr w/tc1.7

Cheers,
Tom

ps Tom, A.J. really only gets on the site at weekends (last week he had a week off school for Mid-Term projects). He has seen your comment and will happily reply

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Tue 26-Feb-13 04:32 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Tom..."
In response to Reply # 4

Grimsby, CA

I think I'll be shooting birds in flight mostly with the 300 f2.8 VR in 1.25x (It isn't 1.3x!) crop mode, mostly around f4 to f5 (575mm f7.6 to f9.5 equivalent). In 12 bit lossless I'll get 12 shots and the buffer will likely clear in 5 seconds with the fast cards. Not perfect, but worth a shot - especially as the autofocus should scream!

Jim

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Mar-13 12:42 AM
6144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 04-Mar-13 12:42 AM by Dubes

Mississauga, CA

Sorry Tom, missed these. I know you post more in the gallery section vs. the wildlife forum, and I do the opposite, posting to the gallery, but linking the images to my forum posts.
If those you haven't, you really need to click on the iamges to view larger files in Tom's gallery section.
#1 looks really nice with the 1.7TC, nice work on exposure of the egret. Not sure if you masked the bird to sharpen or adjust exposure, just looks a little harsh around the edges.
#2 - looks pretty soft all over - large crop?
#3 & #4 - very nicely done Tom, exposure spot on! Also the 1/2000 sec shutter really stopped the action.

I boght the 2xTCIII a couple of years ago and used it on my trip to Costa Rica, wasn't a big fan of it on the 70-200, haven't really given it a good chance on the 600mm VR. Always found it a touch soft when comapring side-by-side with images taken without. However, when I look back and look at the images with the 2xTC on their own, they don't appear too bad. Moose Peterson seems to swear by it, but so far froM what I've seen (BUT no hands on experience), I'd stick with the 1.7 and crop. Any one want to trade an almost new 2xTC for a 1.7??

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Tue 05-Mar-13 04:29 AM
#10. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 06-Mar-13 11:58 PM by tommiejeep

Goa, IN

Richard thanks for the plug . It has been so long since I participated in the Forum that I will have to remember my etiquette .

As you know I post a lot of 'almost' shots in the galleries just for fun so I can take them down anytime.

Many thanks for the analysis. I am in the habit of adding a touch of universal USM when I have to drop down the size for posting. Smugmug has a better auto sharpening

Number two is not a huge crop. It was a quickdraw and just did not nail the focus. Normally these are at 30+ meters , this was actually quite close and I just do not get a shot very often.

I like the last two. I can easily recover some of the background but then it is a matter of getting the colours right and I just liked the effect .

TC2III.... I've pretty much given up with it on the 70-200vrII and have only tried it a couple of times with the 500vr. Everything seems soft . I tend to shoot at too long distances. It does work pretty darn good with the 300 2.8vr but I am with you on preferring the 1.7 .

Many thanks,
Tom

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 04-Mar-13 01:56 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Great shots to be proud of. The backgrounds are great!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

jimmills Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Dec 2010Mon 04-Mar-13 05:03 PM
126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 7

Fort Walton Beach, FL, US

I always enjoy your shots, Tom, and these are certainly no exception. Nicely done!

Jim

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Tue 05-Mar-13 04:34 AM
#12. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 8

Goa, IN

Jim, I sincerely appreciate your comment! Some times it seems as though the members that frequent the Forum do not check out the Galleries .
Cheers,
Tom

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Tue 05-Mar-13 04:32 AM
#11. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 7

Goa, IN

Many thanks Victor. I was not sure how they would be received
Tom

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Mon 04-Mar-13 10:02 PM
14383 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

Super work, Tom!

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

tommiejeep Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jan 2008Tue 05-Mar-13 04:37 AM
#13. "RE: Playing with -EV"
In response to Reply # 9

Goa, IN

Wow Dan, long time! Are you still shooting the old TC2 with the 300 f4? I used to post links to your great shots here on Dpr when people were asking about the combo .

Many thanks,
Tom

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152981 Previous topic | Next topic