nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152439
View in linear mode

Subject: "Blue birds" Previous topic | Next topic
jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 03:35 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Blue birds"
Fri 15-Feb-13 03:37 PM by jot2nik

Troy, US

Shot with Nikon D300, nikon 300mm F/4, Nikon TC 1.7 hand held. Found these guys at the edge of a cemetery. Thanks for looking.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

1/1000s, F/7.1, ISO 320, -0.3 ev

1/640s, F/7.1, ISO 320, -0.3EV

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Blue birds
rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
14th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Feb 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
15th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
15th Feb 2013
Jim Pearce Silver Member
15th Feb 2013
15th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
16th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
16th Feb 2013
NatureDon Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
16th Feb 2013
ehall Silver Member
18th Feb 2013

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Thu 14-Feb-13 09:51 PM
4676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

#1 is excellent,John. #2 seems totally out of focus.

Rick

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 03:41 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri 15-Feb-13 03:59 PM by jot2nik

Troy, US

Hi Rick, thanks for your comment and viewing. Yes #2 is bad, wrong one uploaded, I replaced it with one that not cropped so mush. Its not so good either.

John

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 09:47 PM
4676 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 4

Rocky Hill, US

Defintely better than the original posted image. I had thought that maybe you had uploaded the wrong image.

Rick

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 14-Feb-13 11:05 PM
984 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Great shot on #1, John. #2 might have needed faster ss or tripod to have been as good as #1.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 03:42 PM
#5. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 2

Troy, US

Thanks John for your comment and viewing.

John

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 01:34 PM
6144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Both are a little soft John, but especially #2. Have to agree, a tripod would have helped; when you're shooting at 510mm (765mm @35mm equivalent), hard not to get some motion blur. Love the backgrounds and clutter free perches - good shooting.
There is a lot to be said for being able to shoot handheld, it always you react much faster to situations without having to set down your tripod and set up. Just wish Nikon would add VR to this lens!

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Fri 15-Feb-13 03:57 PM
#6. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 3

Troy, US

Hi Richard, thanks for taking the time to view these images. These shots were the first ones when I first arrived at this location and I got so excited to see these birds. Your right about the tripod with this long a lens combo, I will follow this advice. Thanks again.

John

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Fri 15-Feb-13 04:25 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

Keep working on the handheld work too John. In my experience, 300mm plus a TC-14E is much easier handheld than with the TC-17E.

Jim

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Fri 15-Feb-13 09:45 PM
#8. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 7

Rocky Hill, US

I'll second Jims remark. I find I get way more keepers,hand held,with the 1.4tc rather than the 1.7tc. I have heard,but don't have actual hands on experience,that the series 3(2.0tc)works better on this lens than the 1.7tc ??

Rick

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Sat 16-Feb-13 03:41 PM
#12. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 8

Troy, US

Thanks Rick for viewing and your comment.

John

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Sat 16-Feb-13 03:38 PM
#11. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 7

Troy, US

Thanks Jim for the advice and comment. With out the VR it's a real challenge.

John

NatureDon Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007Sat 16-Feb-13 12:47 AM
1039 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nice work John. Love the colors and the background in both is really nice.

Don

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Sat 16-Feb-13 03:51 PM
#13. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 10

Troy, US

Hi Don, I have wanted to capture an image of the Blue Birds (they are our state bird) for some time and when I saw them just setting there, It was like your first fish or deer hunt you know, just a little excited. Better effort next time and practice. I love the colors also, thanks for commenting and viewing.

John

ehall Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012Mon 18-Feb-13 09:55 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Blue birds"
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Great work John, and thanks for sharing. Thanks to the experienced hands for pointing out the problems in the second photo for us newbies.
Emory

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152439 Previous topic | Next topic