nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #152379
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mr Blue Eyes" Previous topic | Next topic
AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Wed 13-Feb-13 05:44 AM
3168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mr Blue Eyes"

My first post to this very classy forum.
Ground Hornbill
1/2000 F8 ISO800 300(70-300Sigma) D300S

Aart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes Gamecocks Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes AartPapaya Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes NatureDon Silver Member
14th Feb 2013
14th Feb 2013
     Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Feb 2013
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes jot2nik Gold Member
14th Feb 2013
14th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
15th Feb 2013
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes VR8 Silver Member
16th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes psf914
17th Feb 2013
18th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Mr Blue Eyes mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
19th Feb 2013
19th Feb 2013

Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Wed 13-Feb-13 05:37 PM
985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Aart,

Thanks for sharing the fine shot of such a colorful bird. I guess this would be a male and how big do these birds get?

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Wed 13-Feb-13 06:16 PM
3168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you John, The males are 3.5 to 4 Kg and the females about 2.5 - 3Kg. This is one of the biggest flying birds. The sexes are very similar. I think this is most likely a female due to not having an extra bump on the beak and the dark blue-purple marks on the inflatable throat skin.

Aart

NatureDon Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007 Thu 14-Feb-13 01:28 AM
1043 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Aart. This is one I have never seen. Nice photo. Great catch of the light in the eye.

Don

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Thu 14-Feb-13 01:17 PM
#4. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Don,
These are not Gallery photos but it should you a better idea of what the birds look like. They are scratching in a rhino dung heap to find larvae or any other kind of grub.

Aart

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

jdroach Platinum Member Fellow Ribbon awarded. John exhibits true Nikonian spirit by frequently posting images and requesting comments and critique, which he graciously accepts. He is an inspiration to all of us through constant improvement in his own work, keen observations and excellent commentary on images posted by others. Donor Ribbon. Awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Milwaukee, US  Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009 Fri 15-Feb-13 11:25 PM
5191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 4

That is one "fowl" (ugly as sin ) looking bird. Nice capture. Thank for sharing.

jdroach, a Milwaukee area and sometimes Chicago area Nikonian.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Visit my Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonian gallery

My Flickr Photostream

jdroachphotography.com

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Sat 16-Feb-13 07:38 PM
#9. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 8

"(ugly as sin )" Perfect description.

Aart

jot2nik Gold Member  Troy, US  Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007 Thu 14-Feb-13 07:33 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, what a great looking portrait.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Thu 14-Feb-13 08:11 PM
#6. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks John,
You guys are taking such masterpieces I was very reluctant to enter.

Aart

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rocky Hill, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Fri 15-Feb-13 09:58 PM
4736 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 0

Excellent image,Aart. Don't be so shy. I have seen several images of yours in other forums that could have been posted here and they would have been warmly received.

Rick

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Sat 16-Feb-13 07:39 PM
#10. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks

Aart

VR8 Silver Member  Ottawa, CA  Nikonian since 04th May 2008 Sat 16-Feb-13 08:33 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice shot, great angle for a portrait!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Sun 17-Feb-13 04:29 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful series Aart

Very unusual looking bird... great job in capturing it's color and detail.

Peter

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Mon 18-Feb-13 06:36 PM
#13. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 12

Victor and Peter
Thank you

Aart

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography   Lakeville, US  Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006 Tue 19-Feb-13 12:29 AM
4561 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful photo of an ugly bird.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

AartPapaya Silver Member  Hectorspruit, ZA  Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011 Tue 19-Feb-13 06:03 AM
#15. "RE: Mr Blue Eyes"
In response to Reply # 14

Come on Larry, how can you say that, you have yet to see my wife.

Aart

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #152379 Previous topic | Next topic