Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152366
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spotted Thick-knee" Previous topic | Next topic
Rob_ZN Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2012Tue 12-Feb-13 08:32 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Spotted Thick-knee"

Durban, ZA

My first, IMHO, reasonably decent bird shot. My bird book says it's a Spotted Thick-knee.

Taken at the Umgeni Bird Park in Durban, South Africa. The park got a last minute reprieve from closure last year and they're busy getting it back to its former glory.

D5100, 55-200 kit lens @ 200mm, ISO 100, f5.6 @ 1/250

A bit of a crop, pulled out some shadow detail and sharpened a bit in Lightroom.

(click for bigger image)

Rob

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 12-Feb-13 09:16 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Spotted Thick-knee"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Very nice shot, Rob. The larger image shows the color and detail very well.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 13-Feb-13 12:25 AM
2796 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Spotted Thick-knee"
In response to Reply # 0

McEwen, US

Definitely worth a look at the larger image! Great combo of light and shadow, nice job on the exposure.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Rob_ZN Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Dec 2012Wed 13-Feb-13 09:42 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Spotted Thick-knee"
In response to Reply # 0

Durban, ZA

Thanks both of you for the feedback.

A large portion of the credit must go to the bird itself, though. It chose to sit still while I fumbled to take the pic

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152366 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.