Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152223
View in linear mode

Subject: "Barred Owls" Previous topic | Next topic
jfbacks Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Sun 10-Feb-13 07:04 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Barred Owls"

OFallon, US

My morning and evening work commutes "had" been coinciding with just after sunrise and just before sunset. I had been occasionally been sighting an owls so I decided to start commuting with my camera in tow. Here are a few images from the opportunities I ran into. I should probably try to find a small bean bag, for now I just stop, roll down my window partially, and rest my lens directly on it. I never did find ideal lighting conditions(go figure). The first image was taken minutes before sunset and unfortunately half the face is shaded. The second photo was early on a very overcast morning that even a 1/50 second was 1.5 stops under exposed. Apparently Barred Owls have dark eyes so no love on the eye detail. The 3rd image was the first I took and I was not very happy with the noise at iso800, so I decided to lower the iso and try to live with slower shutter speeds and under expose if necessary. Unfortunately the times when I had a better backdrop or better lighting the bird was to far off or I didn't manage to get an in focus or shake free image before the bird moved on. I'm not sure if I'll get another opportunity. I haven't seen one in a week and the days continue to get longer.

f4 1/200s iso400

f4 1/50s iso400

f4 1/200s iso800

f3.5 1/200s iso400

f4 1/200s iso800

f4 1/200s iso400

f4 1/125s iso800

f8 1/800s iso640

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Barred Owls
Dubes Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
jfbacks Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
bhench Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
danshep Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
12th Feb 2013
af4nc Gold Member
12th Feb 2013
jfbacks Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
13th Feb 2013
jfbacks Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
AartPapaya Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
rboser2 Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
jfbacks Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
ehall Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
13th Feb 2013
NatureDon Silver Member
14th Feb 2013

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 10-Feb-13 08:19 PM
6003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 10-Feb-13 08:19 PM by Dubes

Mississauga, CA

A really nice set of images Jack, but #'s 1 & 2 really stand out in my eyes; the warmth of the rising sun in the first, and the clean lines and reflection of the skyline in #2.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

jfbacks Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Mon 11-Feb-13 04:14 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 1

OFallon, US

Thanks Richard.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 11-Feb-13 10:31 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

This first photograph is first class. Light, details, color etc. Just great!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 11-Feb-13 05:00 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Hi Jack,

Very good series of a hard to shoot/find subject. #1 is my favorite with the way the light is used while #4 showing sharp detail would be a good add for Contel.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

bhench Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Sep 2009Mon 11-Feb-13 07:04 PM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

Hershey, US

Wow! I love them all, but the warm light on the first is definitely my favorite.

Thanks for sharing,
Bob

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberTue 12-Feb-13 02:10 AM
1330 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Don't change a thing about #1!

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Tue 12-Feb-13 01:56 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Hi Jack, like your owl shots especially number one, the light and color fit. Make your self a bean bag out of your favorite beans. I used a two pound bag left them in the plastic bag and placed that into a nylon sock. Also works good to place on the lens for vibration.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Tue 12-Feb-13 06:29 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Nice capture, great series!

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

jfbacks Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 04:11 AM
#9. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 8

OFallon, US

Thanks for looking and commenting. Hmmmm, great white northern or navy?

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Wed 13-Feb-13 01:26 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 9

Troy, US

Hi Jack, I went back and looked at my bean bag (and its not, its a rice bag) that I made, and I made mine from a 2 pound bag of brown rice not beans! I remembered that I thought that the rice would be in contact with the lens better. They work great for me as a rest or laying on the lens. White or brown rice, either would work.

In one of your shots I seen the Contel post, we must live close. I live in Troy.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

jfbacks Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 03:50 PM
#14. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 12

OFallon, US

We are pretty close. I live in OFallon and commute to Hermann.

AartPapaya Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2011Wed 13-Feb-13 04:38 AM
2373 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

Hectorspruit, ZA

You really deserve all the accolades. #1 is superb The stump, flowing feathers and color is outstanding. To me the only small niggle is that I think the eyes are less sharp than the body. Thank you for the series I enjoyed all of them

Aart

rboser2 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Dec 2012Wed 13-Feb-13 10:47 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 10

Holland, US

These are very nice. thanks for sharing. I also find #1 to be my favorite. What a nice commute you must have. Just curious- what lens did you use to capture these?

-bob

-Bob

jfbacks Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Wed 13-Feb-13 03:20 PM
#13. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 11

OFallon, US

I did forget that info. All were taken with a D300/400mmf3.5 combo

ehall Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012Wed 13-Feb-13 05:15 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Thanks for sharing, They may not be to your satisfaction but have excellent work in my opinion.
Emory

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Wed 13-Feb-13 08:11 PM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Nice series Jack. Great detail in the feathers. You were lucky to get a long pose....Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

NatureDon Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007Thu 14-Feb-13 12:25 AM
932 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Barred Owls"
In response to Reply # 0

US

These are beautiful Jack. The first one takes the cake for me. Sporting a coat that looks fit for majesty.

Don

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #152223 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.