nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #152208
View in linear mode

Subject: "bark, snow...eye?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Sat 09-Feb-13 10:45 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"bark, snow...eye?"

D300 w/ 500 f4 AF-S & TC-14E, 1/1000 f8 ISO 250
Click on image to view larger version

Jim

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? jot2nik Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
Reply message Easy John... Jim Pearce Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? bhench Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? BlueSage12
10th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? bhench Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Reply message thanks Crystal, Bob... Jim Pearce Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: thanks Crystal, Bob... bhench Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? ehall Silver Member
04th Mar 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? henbo Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Reply message thanks henning... Jim Pearce Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? Gamecocks Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Reply message thanks john... Jim Pearce Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? Garen T
10th Feb 2013
Reply message thanks Garen... Jim Pearce Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest
10th Feb 2013
Reply message thanks Richard... Jim Pearce Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? af4nc Gold Member
12th Feb 2013
Reply message thanks Dave, Tom... Jim Pearce Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: bark, snow...eye? NatureDon Silver Member
12th Feb 2013

jot2nik Silver Member  Troy, US  Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007 Sat 09-Feb-13 11:32 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jim great eye! That you have, how did you ever spot this one? Nice and sharp with detail.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Sun 10-Feb-13 01:40 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "Easy John..."
In response to Reply # 1

I spotted the flock of photographers!

Jim

bhench Silver Member  Hershey, US  Nikonian since 11th Sep 2009 Sat 09-Feb-13 11:36 PM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

Amazing camo!
Amazing shot!

Bob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

BlueSage12   lady Lake, US  Registered since 11th Feb 2012 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:03 AM
129 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

I love this shot!

bhench Silver Member  Hershey, US  Nikonian since 11th Sep 2009 Sun 10-Feb-13 01:22 AM
153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jim,

After looking at your beautiful shot again I was reminded of the time my wife told me to stop the car and turn around because she thought she saw an owl.

When we got to the tree this is what we saw:

This from a woman who can't see the 'Check Engine' light.

Bob

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Sun 10-Feb-13 01:42 AM
#6. "thanks Crystal, Bob..."
In response to Reply # 4

It is amazing that anyone spotted that from the road Bob! It reminded me of this shy red morph...

Jim

bhench Silver Member  Hershey, US  Nikonian since 11th Sep 2009 Sun 10-Feb-13 01:45 AM
#7. "RE: thanks Crystal, Bob..."
In response to Reply # 6

That's incredible, Jim! You have a lock on one-eyed-owl photos!

Bob

ehall Silver Member  South Orange, US  Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012 Mon 04-Mar-13 10:57 PM
377 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 4

Great photo, your wife is gifted and talented. Thanks for sharing.
Emory

henbo Silver Member  Tistrup, DK  Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2004 Sun 10-Feb-13 11:20 AM
1154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Jim

Amazing camouflage. The light in your photo looks great and I like your depth of field.

Thanks for sharing.

Henning

My Nikonians gallery:
Landscape | Wildlife | Macro | Portrait | Sport

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:24 AM
#12. "thanks henning..."
In response to Reply # 8

The light was perfect winter afternoon light with plenty of reflection off the snow to eliminate shadows.

Jim

Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Sun 10-Feb-13 12:24 PM
986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Jim,

Like all your shots this is great. It looks like you were on the same level - was the tree low or you on a hill? Thanks for sharing.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:25 AM
#13. "thanks john..."
In response to Reply # 9

He was up about 12'. Backing up at 700mm and extending my tripod minimized the angle.

Jim

Garen T   Hawthorn Woods IL, US  Registered since 20th Jan 2013 Sun 10-Feb-13 07:04 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow! Glad you saw this! I think I better get my eyes checked! I probably miss owls all the time! I hear the GHO hooting in my backyard all the time and never see them!!

Garen
www.garentphotography.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garent/

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:27 AM
#14. "thanks Garen..."
In response to Reply # 10

Many people in the park came over to see what the fuss was about and could not see the bird from 20' away.

Jim

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Laureate Ribbon awarded as a Winner in a Nikonians Best of Images Annual Photo Contest   Mississauga, CA  Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007 Sun 10-Feb-13 08:51 PM
6256 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

What a wonderful image Jim, it's always nice to see something that's a bit different from the usual "field guide" type shot.

Did you use fill flash, or is that the sun highlighted in its eye?

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:29 AM
#15. "thanks Richard..."
In response to Reply # 11

That's the sun - which was directly behind me - in his eye.

Jim

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community   Lowden, US  Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:43 AM
12297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, I really like this image!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports |Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2015

af4nc Gold Member  Yardley, US  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007 Tue 12-Feb-13 06:34 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

Great shot, love that eye!

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Jim Pearce Silver Member  Grimsby, CA  Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004 Tue 12-Feb-13 10:41 PM
#18. "thanks Dave, Tom..."
In response to Reply # 17

I was happy get a shot of the lid and eye, it emphasizes the curvature.

Jim

NatureDon Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007 Tue 12-Feb-13 11:28 PM
1047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: bark, snow...eye?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have been looking at this for a couple days now. Just can't get enough! From the foreground to the background, and everything in between, it is just great!

Congratulations on a very excellent photo Jim. You nailed it!

Don

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #152208 Previous topic | Next topic