nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #152171
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help Please-Explanation Needed" Previous topic | Next topic
treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Sat 09-Feb-13 02:35 PM
1790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help Please-Explanation Needed"
Sat 09-Feb-13 04:56 PM by treadwl

I am appealing to the experts out there for help in understanding this photo. This was taken with a Nikon D200 using the Nikon 300mm f4 lens. It is about a 40% crop. What I would like to know is why the dwarf looking elk in the lower left corner looks like a dwarf? Is this just the result of a long lens compressing the elements in the photo? I've had this photo in my files for several years and it always disturbs me. I've never had this happen with this lens at any other time. So who wants to tackle an explanation?

I await the wisdom of the many sages out there. Thanks.

Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed Gamecocks Silver Member
09th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
10th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed Matto Silver Member
10th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed jot2nik Gold Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed treadwl Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed danshep Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed kenray Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed Gamecocks Silver Member
11th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed treadwl Silver Member
12th Feb 2013
Reply message RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest
12th Feb 2013

Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Sat 09-Feb-13 06:40 PM
985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Larry,

Interesting photo. I would believe that if the lens compressed the elements that the immediate area near the dwarf would be likewise changed. Dwarfs do happen at times in all animals and perhaps this is one such occasion. Looking forward to what the knowledgeable experts take is. Thanks for sharing a unique photo.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.   Mississauga, CA  Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007 Sun 10-Feb-13 09:41 PM
6145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Certainly does present somewhat of a conundrum. I can see that the nose to tail angle might create somewhat of a shortening in terms of length, but it's the apparent difference in height that has me puzzled. The "dwarf" looks like he is standing in water, possibly partially covered by the grasses growing in the water and possibly in 6" of mud. It's also hard to tell how much the landscape inclines up from the shore line. Certainly has me stumped, unless it reall is a dwarf!

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Matto Silver Member  Glenwood, US  Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007 Sun 10-Feb-13 11:15 PM
667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0

The body volume of the "dwarf" seems to be thew same as the others, allowing for the fact that it is nearly facing the camera. As also noted it is standing in high grass or water, nearly up to the knees. The antlers seem to be the same size as the other two. I think it is the same size as the others.

Matthew

jot2nik Gold Member  Troy, US  Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007 Mon 11-Feb-13 01:50 AM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Feb-13 02:30 AM by jot2nik

Larry, discovery, learning, teaching, this image is a wonderful teaching about lens and photography.
Looking at the dwarf face on, and the two reared up elk, if we were to measure between (as best we could) the antlers and the tip of the nose. How close would that be? The right rear leg of the dwarf and the reared up elk on the left, (elbow joint to wrist)?

Thanks for making the Image,

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Mon 11-Feb-13 01:56 AM
1790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks everyone. That photo has been bothering me for a long time. I know the dwarf was NOT a dwarf but that is is far as I can figure.

I appreciate all the responses.

Larry

danshep Silver Member  Olympia, US  Charter Member Mon 11-Feb-13 02:07 AM
1433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0

The perception I see is that the far left elk is fatter, while he seems to have less length. That I think, is because he is turned more toward you.

Also, look at the distance between where his leg ends in the grass and where it shows up in the water. More lower leg to show.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

kenray Silver Member  Green Valley, US  Nikonian since 10th Oct 2008 Mon 11-Feb-13 05:57 AM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 11-Feb-13 05:58 AM by kenray

I think it's just the perspective of the walking elk. Measuring from nose to brow (base of antlers) is basically the same for all three. I believe the one is standing in water. You can see the water in the lower left and the swath of grass the elk is walking in looks to be a band of the same green grass. I would imagine the perspective was a little further confused by the lense lengths natural foreshortening. Remarkablepicture though of the elk fighting with one casually walking by.

Gamecocks Silver Member  Joanna, US  Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010 Mon 11-Feb-13 01:22 PM
985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0

So you figured out a way to crop the two fighting elk without cropping the other; that's neat Comparing the leg joint of the elk would suggest that the one in the water has only a few inches in the grass/water. He is walking at an angle away from the others so that would make his body seem foreshortened, imo. Imagine turning him in line with the others and they not being reared and it might suggest a younger elk as would his lack of interest in the others sparing.

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Tue 12-Feb-13 02:29 AM
#9. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks again everyone for the input. You all have given me much to think about. The comments about leg length and angles all make sense as you have explained them.

I appreciate the help.

I did go through my files and the dwarf elk with one antler is a full size elk and the oldest of the three. The fighting ones are all young males "practicing" for next fall.

Larry

Morris in MT Silver Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest   Townsend, US  Nikonian since 03rd Oct 2007 Tue 12-Feb-13 03:05 AM
773 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Help Please-Explanation Needed"
In response to Reply # 0

Very nice photo, Larry! I would love to get a "fighting" shot like this.
I agree with the others; slight compression from the lens maybe, but illusion, I believe is due mostly to body position, and location. The rearing two bulls just look bigger when they rear up; the walking bull is facing, and is in the low-lying wetland; and the two rearing bull a little higher in elevation too. All combine to make the walking bull look smaller. But, judging by the growth on his left anlter, hea is at least as old as the other two bulls.

Again, awesome capture!

Kelly

My Nikonians Gallery

Visit my website at http://kmorris99.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #152171 Previous topic | Next topic