Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151828
View in linear mode

Subject: "More local winter birds" Previous topic | Next topic
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Sun 03-Feb-13 11:08 PM
5901 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"More local winter birds"
Mon 04-Feb-13 02:09 AM by Dubes

Mississauga, CA

Taken today in the same park & spot as my last post a couple of weeks a go. (Lambton Woods, Toronto). There is a bird feeder close by that is filled by 3 or 4 locals who walk around the park every day with bags of seed & suet.
All shots D300 + Nikkor 600mm VR + Nikkor 1.4TC

Starling - I hate these around my feeders at home, but their feathers take on some beautiful colours this time of year.
ISO400, f/6.3, 1/125sec - I also did increase saturation a touch above normal.

Hairy Woodpecker - virtually at minimum focus on the lens.
ISO320, f/7.1, 1/400sec

White-breasted Nuthatch
ISO 320, f/7.1, 1/500sec

Northern Cardinal - female
ISO320, f/7.1, 1/400sec

Black-capped Chickadee - I'm still after that quintessential image of a Chickadee sitting on a perfect perch with that perfect cheeky pose!
ISO320, f/7.1, 1/400sec

Pine Siskin - a first for me. When I first saw them, I thought they were winter plumage Goldfinch.
ISO320, f/7.1, 1/400sec

As always, thanks for looking!

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: More local winter birds
danshep Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Brian_S
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
cockers Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
rb4good Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
BSchirm Gold Member
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Scotty45 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
BSchirm Gold Member
05th Feb 2013
danshep Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
Jim Pearce Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
rwk48 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
Lunastar Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
Tallow Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
05th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
psf914
05th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
jfbacks Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
08th Feb 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
07th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
08th Feb 2013

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberMon 04-Feb-13 01:42 AM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Nice shots.

The feather right under the eye and to the left of the Downy really shows some texture. Even though very common, I really like the Chickadee. Nice texture there, too.

Starlings - the bird you love to hate. Though I agree, there are some really interesting almost metallic greens and blues. Great representation here.

Nice cardinal.

Pine Siskins - yeah, they do make you think of the autumn goldfinches. The one thing that is a common characteristic around Washington State, is that they fly into windows fairly frequently. They don't seem to hit hard enough to die; just to do mental damage.

Only criticism would be to the right of the cardinal, I see some strong lines. If you could soften those a bit, otherwise it is a great shot, as the others are.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Brian_S Registered since 28th Jan 2011Mon 04-Feb-13 06:51 AM
614 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 1

Thunder Bay, CA

as always Richard, top notch work here in all these images, they're all beauties!

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:20 PM
5901 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 2

Mississauga, CA

Very kind of you Brian, thanks very much.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:19 PM
#10. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 1

Mississauga, CA

Thank you very much Dan, truly appreciate the comments & critique and have to agree about the cardinal and the OOF branch to the right. I've reworked and posted in peply to Jim's comment below (along with a rework of the Pine Siskin).

Always good to have another pair of eyes and keep one on their toes without becoming too complacent.

Richard

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 04-Feb-13 03:43 PM
4223 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Tremendous set Richard! Love the Starling . . .the image not the bird!

Looks like he just got back from Mardi Gras.

Al

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:36 PM
#12. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 3

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Al, the iridescence in their feathers is quite spectacular this time of year. They are certainly threatening the survival of a lot of the indigenous birds in North America.

Richard

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 04-Feb-13 06:28 PM
4174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

A true artist at work. Always greatly enjoy your images,Richard. Thanks.

Rick

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:37 PM
#13. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 4

Mississauga, CA

Very kind of you Rick, thanks so much.

Richard

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Mon 04-Feb-13 06:39 PM
2559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Rolling Hills, US

Really excellent series Richard. The cardinal is my favorite.

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:37 PM
#14. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 5

Mississauga, CA

Nice to hear from you Barry, thanks so much.

Richard

Scotty45 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Mar 2010Mon 04-Feb-13 06:45 PM
1363 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Swan Reach.Vic., AU

Amazing shots Richard. I love them all....Scotty.

'Proper Preparation Prevents Pathetic Performance'.

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:38 PM
#15. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 6

Mississauga, CA

Once again Scotty, thanks so much for stopping by.

Richard

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 06:57 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Excellent series. You have a lot of stamina to out in the cold these days - though its worse up here in Ottawa. The detail on these birds just stuns me.

Regards,

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:46 PM
#16. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 7

Mississauga, CA

Hi Victor and thanks very much. I know, it tends to be somewhat milder here than Ottawa, but as long as I dress with a hat, good boots, and gloves, I'm good for 4-5 hours.

I've been somewhat spoiled when I received an iPad with a retina display for my birthday/retirement. I find that viewing an image on a computer monitor that has about 100 pixels per inch vs. approx 234 pixels per inch in the iPad rather disappointing now.

The image of the cardinal does not do justice to the lens or camera - here's c crop of actual pixels (100% zoom) of a portion of the wing. You can't see this on a standard monitor, but the retina display really brings it out.

Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

BSchirm Gold Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 07th Dec 2005Tue 05-Feb-13 02:10 AM
2559 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 16

Rolling Hills, US

Richard, I agree re the iPad. Some images look really good on a computer display, but when I look at them on an iPad, they just look exceptional. You get a little spoiled...

Barry

Nikonians Gallery

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberTue 05-Feb-13 07:53 PM
1314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: More local winter birds"

Olympia, US

I will be retiring too, Richard.

Mine is in June. With cashing out annual leave, I am opting for a new Nikon.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Tue 05-Feb-13 08:14 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: More local winter birds"

Ottawa, CA

Slightly colder here than there by about 10 degrees C. with the windchill today! When it gets as cold as Toronto I will be out there shooting

I have the original IPAD and will upgrade with the next iteration. But I see your point and have looked at the displays in the Apple store. Just wonderful.

Right now I am impatiently waiting for a 27"Imac to replace my five year old IMAC.

All the best.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 04-Feb-13 08:23 PM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

Love the female cardinal and the pine siskin Richard. I think both images could benefit from a little cloning. My mother-in-law has pine siskins beside her barn. I've been watching them, but Haven't tried shooting them yet. They're very quick!

Jim

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:50 PM
#17. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 8

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Jim, and apprecaite the feedback, which I agree with (and as pointed out by Dan above).
I've reworked tham a bit, cloning out the OOF twig in front of the Pine Sisken, and airbrushed (rather than try cloning) out the bright OOF twig to the right of the cardinal. Modified images below. Better?

Richard

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

rwk48 Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Feb 2012Mon 04-Feb-13 09:50 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Powell, US

These are all terrific, but the starling is wonderful.

Rob

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:51 PM
#18. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 9

Mississauga, CA

Rob, thanks very much for your kind words.

Richard

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 05-Feb-13 01:03 AM
3056 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 18

Mankato, US

Awesome set, Richard! Can't pick a fav but if I had to it would be the starling and cardinal!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Tallow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2009Tue 05-Feb-13 03:18 AM
913 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 19

Niagara-on-the-Lake, CA

great shots Richard
I love the colours on the Starling. I would love a few of them at the feeder but the only time I see them is when they are all on the grapes. As soon as I get near them the all take off

Dave

Visit my 500px gallery.

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 05:38 PM
#24. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 21

Mississauga, CA

Hi Dave and thanks so much. I'd rather contunue to see them at the park than at my feeder. During the fall, when the leaves start to drop on the Boston Ivy growing on our house, and the berries are fully ripe, I also have dozens of Sartlings roosting and feeding on the vines.

Richard

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 05:35 PM
#23. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 19

Mississauga, CA

Mark, thanks very much.

Richard

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 02:30 PM
776 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 05-Feb-13 02:33 PM by jot2nik

Troy, US

Great shots, all of them Richard. Your right about the starlings, they will take over the feeders with sheer numbers.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 05:39 PM
#25. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 22

Mississauga, CA

Thanks John, they certainly can empty out the feeders in a hurry!

Richard

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 11:38 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Traverse City, US

Another beautiful series Richard

Peter

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 06:00 PM
#29. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 28

Mississauga, CA

Thanks very much Peter

Richard

jfbacks Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Wed 06-Feb-13 06:31 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 29

OFallon, US

Excellent series Richard. Great detail on the Chickadee. I find them one of the harder birds to get properly exposed.

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 08-Feb-13 12:54 AM
#32. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 30

Mississauga, CA

Jack - thank you for stopping by. I've found that any bird that has bright white and black feathers tough to expose for. The D300 does not have the dynamic range of a top end D4 or D3, but with good lighting and some work in post on the RAW images, you can pull out details in bothe tones.

Richard

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 07-Feb-13 03:53 AM
3323 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

Brilliant shots, although I couldn't "hate" any bird and find all wildlife generally more satisfying to be with than human beings Starlings are cool and our garden is alive with woodpeckers, siskin's, finches etc. etc. just wish I had a 600mm lens and some reasonable light to capture them. a poor shot of a Gold Finch attached.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Fri 08-Feb-13 01:08 AM
#33. "RE: More local winter birds"
In response to Reply # 31

Mississauga, CA

Thanks Richard, the starlings were introduced to North America, going strictly from memory, I think to New York. Since then, thet have become very prolific and can be found as far north as the tree line in Canada. They've become so dominant, they've taken over nesting sites of the native North American birds. Can't blame them, only humans, another link in the natural evolution of our planet.

Your shot of a European Goldfinch reminded me of a shot I took in Nov of 2011. A European Goldfinch found in a park in Toronto (see below). Sent the image to the provinicial ornithological organization, they state it's probably an escaped captive. Some records have shown them breeding in the U.S., but this guy looked fairly weak and not in good health (feeding on seeds of a weed).

Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151828 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.