Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151806
View in linear mode

Subject: "Preening Eagle" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 03-Feb-13 10:10 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Preening Eagle"

Traverse City, US

Drove to Heber City today in search of birds...and found nothing all day. On the return trip to Orem several cars were pulled over and people pointing in the air. So I joined the group and found a Bald Eagle enjoying one of the first decent winter days in weeks...sunny and temps in the 30's instead of single digits. A juvenile was in the same tree covered by branches. One of these days I hope to find a watering hole and get some classic shots of them fishing. Cropped all four shots for portrait orientation.

D300S Nikon 300mm 2.8 with Nikon 1.7 TC ISO 400 1/1250 at f8 matrix metering

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Preening Eagle
ehall Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
psf914
05th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
05th Feb 2013
psf914
05th Feb 2013
treadwl Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
psf914
07th Feb 2013
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others.
07th Feb 2013
psf914
08th Feb 2013
af4nc Gold Member
09th Feb 2013

ehall Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Nov 2012Tue 05-Feb-13 07:06 AM
360 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Hi
Great work, thanks for sharing.
Emory

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 04:29 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Emory

This was a nice find. Not the super shots the guys are getting of them fishing back east but the closest I've been to one of these beautiful birds that was willing to sit and let me photograph. Hope to find a few more this winter.

Peter

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 03:23 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Nice shots of a great looking bird. Looks like your D300s and the TC with the 300f/4 work well together. Nice color and sharp. Do you use matrix metering most of the time with this combo? I am considering the f/4 300 soon.

Thanks,
John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 04:32 PM
#4. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 2

Traverse City, US

Thanks John,

That's the 300mm 2.8 not the f4 and the 1.7 TC and yup they work great together. I've had issues with the focus not grabbing very well with the 1.7 TC which was frustrating at times. In good light and closer to the subject it works much better. The 1.4 is a bit faster but doesn't give you the reach for birding. However, for larger subjects the 300 2.8 connected directly to the camera is a beautiful piece of work. Fast, sharp and beautiful bokeh. And yes I use Matrix metering for almost everything I photograph.

cheers
Peter

treadwl Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 05-Feb-13 04:45 PM
1728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunrise, US

I really like #2---quite different. The lens combo really works well. I'd be proud of any of these shots.

Eagles are very rare in south Florida. Send them down.

Thanks for sharing.

Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Thu 07-Feb-13 12:43 AM
#6. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

Thanks Larry

I saw a number of Bald Eagles in northern Florida when I was living in Lake Mary. Lake Jessup was right there and a number of other small lakes for them to fish on...as well as tons of rodents ...so food source equals larger numbers of these birds.

Peter

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Thu 07-Feb-13 02:27 AM
6592 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Wonderful set Peter. I really like the pose in #2. I think it would be worth the time to try and remove the lower branch in that one.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 08-Feb-13 01:07 AM
#8. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 7

Traverse City, US

Thanks Scott

One of the reasons you don't see the branch in the shot on the last two is that I moved in closer to avoid it. At first I didn't want to chance spooking him into flying off...just wanted to get the shots. After a few minutes he appeared to be pretty relaxed with us watching so I walked up to a fence line and used it to steady my camera and get a few more shots without the branch running thru its tail. When I left he was just sitting there enjoying the sun ... tree was pretty tall and about 100 feet away so I'm sure he felt pretty safe. I felt fortunate to have found him after a day of driving and finding nothing.

Peter

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Sat 09-Feb-13 07:29 PM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Preening Eagle"
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Nice capture

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151806 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.