nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Would like some input on lens/support upgrade for birds/wildlife

coolmom42

McEwen, US
3598 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011
Sun 03-Feb-13 04:57 AM

This is kind of a combination question so I'm posting it here instead of over on the lens forum. Mods, please move if necessary.

I'm really wanting a longer lens to use with my D3100, for wildlife and birds. (At some point I will upgrade the body, primarily for better ISO & dynamic range, but right now I'm OK with the D3100.)

Given my amateur status & budget, the lens I've settled on is the Sigma 150-500.

Is there any reason not to use this lens with the D3100?

Obviously I will need a decent support for this lens. (Right now I have a cheap tripod that was gifted to me by someone who no longer uses it. I don't much care for it, LOL.)

If I go with a Gitzo, my choice would be the Mountaineer 3541. I will admit that price tag of $1000 for the legs alone seriously makes me flinch. However, I don't want to waste money on an inadequate tripod, only to have to upgrade later.

So I would like some direction on an adequate but more budget-friendly tripod. Some input from experienced users here would be very helpful. Used is definitely an option, and I will have time to keep looking.

I won't be doing any extensive hiking with this tripod, 2-3 miles is about my limit due to lower back issues, so weight is not the biggest issue. It's possible I would need to pack it in carry-on luggage, so size is a consideration. And of course it would need to serve general duty for landscape and possibly some macro work, besides birds/wildlife.

I really don't see myself going to a heavier lens than the Sigma 150-500, but at some point will likely have a heavier camera body.

I also know that a good ball head & likely the Wimberly Sidekick are must-haves with this lens, but selecting the tripod seems like a starting point.

All information and input appreciated!

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Would like some input on lens/support upgrade for b...

G