Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151761
View in linear mode

Subject: "Northern Shrike" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 03-Feb-13 01:49 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Northern Shrike"

Traverse City, US

This was the first Shrike I've seen in Utah. Found this one perched on a frosted branch near the western edge of Utah Lake this morning. Temps were in the single digits and every plant was covered in a white frost.

D300S Nikon 300mm 2.8 ISO400 1/1000 at f11

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Northern Shrike
danshep Silver Member
03rd Feb 2013
psf914
03rd Feb 2013
cockers Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
psf914
06th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
psf914
06th Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
psf914
06th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
04th Feb 2013
psf914
06th Feb 2013
Lunastar Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
psf914
06th Feb 2013
psf914
08th Feb 2013
NatureDon Silver Member
06th Feb 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
08th Feb 2013

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberSun 03-Feb-13 02:13 AM
1338 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

Pretty little bird.

You did a good job, not blowing out the whites. You have the main subject not directly in the center, and I like the gentle dusting of snow in the branches. All in all, a nice shot.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Sun 03-Feb-13 11:43 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 1

Traverse City, US

Thanks Dan

Tricky lighting on this one with all the frost ... camera and lens did a great job.

Peter

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 04-Feb-13 03:48 PM
4324 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Very nice indeed Peter!

Al

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 02:31 PM
#6. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 3

Traverse City, US

Thanks Al

I've only seen 2 or 3 of these birds around the U.S. and never one in Utah so it was interesting to find him hanging out near the lakeshore. I got a couple quick shots and he took off.

Peter

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 04-Feb-13 06:54 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Very nice shot, great color, nice catch light in the eye. I would be out doing this buts minus 20c with the wind chill unfortunately and I just cannot manage all the ice, cold and my glasses fogging up!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 02:33 PM
#7. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 4

Traverse City, US

Thanks Victor

It's been so cold here on days when I was out shooting that my eyes watered so bad I couldn't see thru the viewfinder of the camera. Actually had one of my eyelids start to freeze shut on the way back to my car one morning. Never had an issue with any of my gear though despite those nasty temperatures. Kudos to Nikon...

Peter

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 06-Feb-13 07:43 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 7

Ottawa, CA

I cannot resist asking. I get all kinds of advice about cameras in the cold, double bag them, silica gel, and from Nikon rep at a function here do nothing your cameras can survive the arctic (even the d7000). With all this conflicting advice, I have been double bagging my gear. What's your routine?

Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 11:39 PM
#11. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 10

Traverse City, US

Hi Victor

I've always just carried the camera into the weather and shot. If it gets a little wet I have a towel in the car to dry it and of course all my lens cleaning equipment, a blower to get dust off of the sensor etc. I've never subjected any of my cameras to extreme's but I've had them out in below zero temps and never had a problem.

Peter

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Mon 04-Feb-13 11:32 PM
6003 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

I've loved chasing these birds over the past 2 winters, but haven't run into one yet this year. When these take off, they usually don't just move to the next tree, but fly off a couple of hundred yards with me in hot pursuit, only to have them fly off another 200 yards when I get close!t
I ight try cropping off a little more of the top and LH side, but love the white on white and what you've presented here.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 02:36 PM
#8. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 5

Traverse City, US

Thanks Richard

I've only gotten close to 2 of these birds in the past couple years..one in California and this one. I've had the same experience...they don't let you get near them...And yup..they don't just move down the fence line a short distance like Hawks do.. they put some distance between themselves and anything they percieve as a threat...

cheers
Peter

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Wed 06-Feb-13 03:48 PM
3211 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 8

Mankato, US

Well done, Peter-the frosted BG is great!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 11:40 PM
#12. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 9

Traverse City, US

Thanks Mark

The landscape here in the winter is beautiful and with all the cold temperatures and frozen fog we've been getting...there are lots of days when everything is frosted white like this.

cheers
Peter

psf914 Registered since 11th Oct 2007Fri 08-Feb-13 12:09 AM
#14. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 08-Feb-13 12:11 AM by psf914

Traverse City, US

Thanks Don

Really enjoyed finding this little guy waiting for me along the lakeshore. First one in Utah and only the second I've seen out west.. Wish I could have gotten a bit closer but these are very timid birds. You get a couple shots if you're lucky then they take off and that's it...They don't give you a second shot.

cheers

Peter

NatureDon Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Nov 2007Wed 06-Feb-13 11:41 PM
952 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Peter...this is fantastic. Great bird and terrific setting. Great photo.

Don

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Fri 08-Feb-13 03:57 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Northern Shrike"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

A really good looking bird, nice shooting.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151761 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.