nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #151509
View in linear mode

Subject: "User Settings for Birds in Flight" Previous topic | Next topic
Octobercrow1   US  Registered since 10th Dec 2012 Mon 28-Jan-13 03:27 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"User Settings for Birds in Flight"

I wish to use one of the User Settings (U2) modes on my D7000 to have the most important settings for birds in flight readily available. Any suggestions as to which settings I should include? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Robin M.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

vangophotos Silver Member  Paradise Valley, US  Nikonian since 01st May 2012 Thu 31-Jan-13 09:30 PM
271 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: User Settings for Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Jan-13 09:32 PM by vangophotos

I have my banks programmed for (1) human portraits, and (2) macro photography with the 105mm. Since shutter speed was my main objective with bank (2), this will be useful for birds in flight.

- Auto ISO (I set mine up to 3200)
Here's an article on it: http://photos4clix.com/?p=2050

- Shutter priority (Minimum shutter speed, at least 1/focal length of your lens)
For my macro settings, I have it on aperture priority since DOF is such a big issue in macro photography.

- Auto white balance

- RAW + JPEG (my preference)

Hope this helps!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Winterfell Silver Member  Roseville, US  Nikonian since 21st Mar 2009 Sat 02-Feb-13 02:25 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: User Settings for Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Good suggestions above. I usually have 9pt or 21point, afs-c with the rear button set to af-on. Auto ISO on the D7000 is useful... I usually have auto iso on, capped at 1600 unless it's really low light, and by then it's usually time to call it a day.

There's a stickied post towards the top of the D7000 forum that's worth a read, it has some workarounds for the D7000s limited buffer ( link). The lens distortion correction feature in particular really slows the camera down.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #151509 Previous topic | Next topic