Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151465
View in linear mode

Subject: "My best Eagle shots ever!" Previous topic | Next topic
Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Sun 27-Jan-13 10:48 PM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"My best Eagle shots ever!"
Mon 28-Jan-13 03:01 PM by Garen T

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Last week I spent 2-1/2 hours driving to L&D 14 to shoot eagles, and it was good, but not much action. Yesterday I followed up on a rumor, drove 30 minutes and got the images below:

D7000 - F/8, 1/2000, ISo560 Sigma 50-500 @ 500mm

Garen
www.garentphotography.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garent/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: My best Eagle shots ever!
Bump57 Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator
28th Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Jim Pearce Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
francine Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
efd123 Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Chris Platt Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
28th Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
backpacker24 Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
Photosage Silver Member
29th Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
massulo Gold Member
29th Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
30th Jan 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
31st Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator
31st Jan 2013
cwils02 Gold Member
01st Feb 2013
treadwl Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
cockers Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
slopoki1 Silver Member
31st Jan 2013
Garen T Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator
01st Feb 2013
Garen T Silver Member
01st Feb 2013

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sun 27-Jan-13 11:50 PM
6519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Out standing captures Garen, congrats. Great color & sharpness. Looks like you had wonderful light too, was it a morning or afternoon shoot? These were taken at the carpentersville dam?

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Mon 28-Jan-13 01:34 AM
161 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 1

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thanks Scott!

Yes, it was in the late afternoon at Carpenters Dam. We had eyes on about 5 eagles, from Juvi to Adult, but some at the location had seen 8 earlier.

Garen

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 28-Jan-13 12:38 AM
11387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Wow! Great work!

It is awesome that you found a good spot near home.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Mon 28-Jan-13 01:35 AM
#5. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 2

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thanks Dave,I was really excited to find such a close spot to get to shoot these beauties and to practice for the next trip to L&D 14!

Garen

Jim Pearce Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Mar 2004Mon 28-Jan-13 01:17 AM
4397 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Grimsby, CA

These look good Garen. Good enough to post them larger and share some EXIF data. What camera did you use?

Jim

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Mon 28-Jan-13 01:38 AM
#6. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 3

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thank you for looking and commenting Jim!
I am trying to figure out the whole size of picture thing! (Still a newbie around here!)

Shot with my D7000, using a Sigma 50-500mm. F/8, 1/2000, ISO 560

Garen

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 01:43 AM
870 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#7. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 6

Thornton, US

Nice pitcures.

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Mon 28-Jan-13 01:47 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Eldridge, US

Garen, Great images, be sure to let us know if you make another trip to L&D14, I'd love to meet you in person.

Dave

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Mon 28-Jan-13 02:12 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

Terrific images - and a wonderful demonstration of what the Sigma lens can do. What was the focal length for each of these images?

Visit my gallery.

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Mon 28-Jan-13 02:12 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Wow Garen, great shooting, love the colors.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Mon 28-Jan-13 03:25 PM
#11. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thanks for looking and commenting Chris! Sorry, thanks for the heads up, forgot to put the length on there!(updated now) but they were all 500mm

I was borrowing the lens from a friend and now I am really torn as to what to buy/save up for!

I currently only have a 70-200/2.8 and I use it with my 1.7xTC, which is sharp as heck, but is really too short for wildlife. I have all sorts of thoughts on a longer lens and would love to get peoples thoughts!
current thoughts/choices:
all with my D7000
Sigma 150-500- good deal but pretty slow, so wonder how it would work in anything less than bright conditions?? Too wide of DOF with smaller subjects? I have seen others using this with their D800 and creating fabulous images, but wonder if my D7K can compete?

Nikon 300/f4 Little more money,but faster and sharper, could use 1.4 and possibly 1.7x TC's. basically same length as sigma with 1.7 but actually 1/3 stop slower...but probably sharper, but enough for the $500 additional??? Better resale though...

Then there is a big jump in cost to the next level and not sure I can justify that jump right now! BUT I have a friend who wants to offload his older 500/f4 Ai-S, choices, choices...

What I need is some paid shoots to help tilt the scales!

Garen

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Mon 28-Jan-13 05:00 PM
2504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 11

Vantaa, FI

Congratulations on your superb eagle shots.

As someone who has both the Sigma 150-500mm and the 50-500mm (I plan to sell the former, come summer), I can assure you that there’s no real contest between the two. The 150-500mm is good for the price but the resolution of the 50-500mm is comparable to that of a D800 (or D7000 as the size of the photosites is almost the same). Well, the wide end is not as sharp as the long end but still useful when the subject gets closer. Plus when stored, the 50-500mm is one inch shorter than the 150-500mm.

Regards, Antero

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Mon 28-Jan-13 05:32 PM
#13. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 12

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thanks for the input Antero!

I am really surprised! I never actually thought about the fact there might be a difference between the two? I was only going with the 150-500 because I really don't need the 50-150 of the 50-500!
Very appreciative of the input! I guess the Bigma is on the table too!

Garen

backpacker24 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Tue 29-Jan-13 01:58 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#14. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevada, US

Nice images Garen. It looks like it was a bright cloudy day? It's great that you found a location to shoot nearby.

Craig

Photosage Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2009Tue 29-Jan-13 04:54 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Bellingham, WA, US

Those are really nice shots of Eagles in action. I really like No. 3, but they are all great. Thanks for sharing

Ron

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Wed 30-Jan-13 12:54 AM
#18. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 15

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thanks Ron. When I was shooting these some non-photographers were telling us about a couple that were in the trees, and I was like, "No thanks, Once you get 1 or 2 good tree sitting portraits in the can, all you want is action shots!!"

Garen

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Tue 29-Jan-13 11:58 PM
10575 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Fantastic captures wish they were mine-- I got some Ospreys today but nothing like yours

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Wed 30-Jan-13 12:51 AM
#17. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 16

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

LOL! Thanks Preston!

Garen

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 03:11 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

Garen,

Love the shots. I had no idea what L&D 14 was. Still wouldn't know how to drive there. If I'm stll able, I plan to make the Iowa straw poll again in 2015. It should be very interesting with both parties active.

Here is a discussion with a Dark Sider that may give a reason for the lack of action:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/forum/topic/856955

Charlie

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 31-Jan-13 03:41 AM
11387 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 19
Thu 31-Jan-13 03:44 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

> “Still wouldn't know how to drive there.”

The access is on the Iowa side about a mile or so south of where interstate 80 crosses the Mississippi.

The weather over the last couple of years is the reason for our low eagle numbers. Also last year the shad (the fish the eagles eat) population was unusually low all along the upper Mississippi. The fish population seems to be strong this year but the temperatures keep jumping up into the 40’s and 50’s and until today we only had one significant snow fall.

In the warm temps the birds just don’t feed as often and with no snow they can find food in the farm fields easier. Eagles are not particularly social birds so they only gather in large numbers at the dams when they need to.

The best shooting is when we have a long period of very cold weather, snow cover and ice on the river above the dams. We have had very little of those conditions for quite a while now.

If it is cold enough the fish going over the dams are stunned by the cold making it easy for the eagles. If it is too warm then this advantage goes away and the eagles will spread out along the river and into the fields.

There are a few of us locals who are a bit worried about people who are walking down stream into a restricted roosting area disturbing the birds. If it gets out of hand the DNR may just ask the Corps of Engineers to close the area where we shoot.

Anyone reading this that goes to the L&D - please stay well upstream of the boat ramp. The best shooting is up on the walkway by the Lock.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Fri 01-Feb-13 12:34 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 20

HIXSON, US

Thanks Dave,

That gives me an idea to plan around if I get back up there. In the summer of 2011, I know that somewhere, the freeways were closed, and I got some shots out in the country at one of the Iowa state borders.

More familiar with Ottumwa, Milo, Des Moines, & Ames.

Charlie

treadwl Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 31-Jan-13 02:13 PM
1646 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunrise, US

Well done. You caught some good ones. thanks for sharing with those of us not in eagle land!!

Larry

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Fri 01-Feb-13 12:50 AM
#26. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 21

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thanks Larry,

Well they are in every state except Hawai'i so you might to just drive a little!

Garen

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 31-Jan-13 02:19 PM
4232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Very nice set Garen.

Al

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Fri 01-Feb-13 12:51 AM
#27. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 22

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thank you Al, hoping to go again saturday, so we'll see if I can get some even better ones!

Garen

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Thu 31-Jan-13 10:04 PM
1333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Very nice captures Garen.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Fri 01-Feb-13 12:52 AM
#28. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 23

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thanks for coming by and taking a look Rick!

Garen

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Fri 01-Feb-13 12:46 AM
3713 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

These are shots to be proud of.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

Garen T Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2013Fri 01-Feb-13 12:54 AM
#29. "RE: My best Eagle shots ever!"
In response to Reply # 25

Hawthorn Woods IL, US

Thanks Larry, I really am proud, I have had so many epic wildlife fails that it was nice to get some shots I could be proud to share with you guys!

Garen

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151465 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.