Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151374
View in linear mode

Subject: "One from today I liked.........." Previous topic | Next topic
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 04:14 AM
6463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"One from today I liked.........."
Sat 26-Jan-13 04:15 AM by Bump57

US

Got to love the light & the color. Now if we can just get him in another 300', he was way out there. I turned a 36mp image into a 6mp image. LOL Still good for a 12 x 12 though.

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D800
Lens: 150.0-500.0 mm f/5.0-6.3
Focal Length: 500mm (35mm equivalent: 500mm)
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time 1/1250
ISO equiv: 640
Exposure Bias: -0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Color Space: sRGB
Photographer: Scott Sternberg
Copyright: © Scotts Fine Art Photography

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: One from today I liked..........
francine Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
26th Jan 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator
26th Jan 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator
28th Jan 2013
efd123 Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
19US Silver Member
28th Jan 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
VR8 Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
Gamecocks Silver Member
01st Feb 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
Jimi Team Member
02nd Feb 2013
dm1dave Administrator
02nd Feb 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
massulo Gold Member
02nd Feb 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013
slopoki1 Silver Member
03rd Feb 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
ehall
05th Feb 2013
Bump57 Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
Dubes Silver Member
05th Feb 2013

francine Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 01:50 PM
846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

Monroe, US

Stunning!!!!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sun 27-Jan-13 09:57 PM
6463 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you Francine, very kind of you! Sorry we missed you coming out.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 02:59 PM
763 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Great job Scott, yes this image would be a beautiful print. Colors are just lovely.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sun 27-Jan-13 09:57 PM
#5. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks John!

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 26-Jan-13 07:05 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 26-Jan-13 08:47 PM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

Great shot! I know how hard it is to get that head on angle. He must have been a long way out – I have never seen the dam in the background of an image this low to the water.

The weather is super nice today (Saturday) I wish I could be out shooting - It is supposed to be nasty tomorrow.

6 mp is still a pretty good file size – In fact I use 6mp as my minimum cropping amount for anything that I may want to print. I think I settled on that size because that was the mp count on my D50 when I was starting out. If an image is sharp you can fairly easily print up to 12 x 18.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sun 27-Jan-13 10:06 PM
#6. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks Dave. Yes, he was way out. The 36mp helped here for sure that and the fact focus was on target. I changed the crop some. I had second thoughts about the square crop so I put it back to a 2:3 ratio and ended up at 7.5mp, little better then 5.8 on the square crop. I think you are right, the quality of the image is good enough to make a nice 18 x 12 at that size. You didn't miss any great action this weekend but you did miss some nice light. Not sure about next weekend yet. May go up north to Michigan for some frozen lighthouse if it all don't melt by then.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 28-Jan-13 12:49 AM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 28-Jan-13 12:50 AM by dm1dave

Lowden, US

It is supposed to be in the mid 50’s by Tuesday here and I expect that will extend across into Michigan this week. It will be quite cold again by Friday with a snow chance Saturday. Unless the weather is really poor I will probably be out next Sunday.

With the weather we have been having latley I would not be surprised if the season ends by mid-February.

Bring on spring – I want to get the kayak out again!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Mon 28-Jan-13 01:57 AM
411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

Eldridge, US

Scott,

Even though the action was a little slow on Saturday it was great visiting with you.

I love these straight on shots. This one is extra special with the red, white and blue, you cant ask for a better background for an eagle.

Dave

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Fri 01-Feb-13 12:43 PM
#10. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks Dave! Yep, always fun hanging out. We will have to try and make it more then once this time around the sun. I agree about the background. If the weather holds true for Sunday I might make the trip. Have you been down to the dam at all?

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

19US Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jul 2008Mon 28-Jan-13 02:54 AM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

Robbinsville, US

Really nice Scott. Is that 150-500 a Sigma lens? Really enjoy your eagle shots, thanks for sharing.
Tom

Or more recent work here:
Bundle of Paws Photography.

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Fri 01-Feb-13 12:44 PM
#11. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Tom, thank you for the kind words. Yes indeed, it is the Sigma 150-500.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 01-Feb-13 01:25 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Great shot, almost looks like you have an American flag in the background!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 01-Feb-13 10:38 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 12

Joanna, US

Simply a display of great talent; wonderful shot!

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sat 02-Feb-13 01:53 AM
#16. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 12

US

Thank you Victor. I have to believe the Army Corp of Engineers painted the spillway this red color for this reason. I find it very cool when you get to place an Eagle in the same frame.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Jimi Team Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2006Sat 02-Feb-13 12:34 AM
322 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

South Lake Tahoe, US

Great shot! I like square. Not enough of it around IMO.

Dave, I like your set up. It would work great at Oxbow Bend for moose.

Cheers,

Jim Stamates
Nikonians Academy Workshop Instructor

http://www.nikoniansacademy.com
http://stamates.com/blog
http://www.stamates.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 02-Feb-13 01:20 AM
#15. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 14

Lowden, US

Hi Jim!

It would be awesome to float around oxbow bend some morning. It would be a great way to get some cool shots of the otters.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sat 02-Feb-13 02:25 AM
#18. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 14

US

Thank you Jim for your kind remarks. I have been back and forth on the crop for this image, I also have it in a 14 x 11 format.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Sat 02-Feb-13 02:24 AM
10468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

Gotta call you Eagleman from now on !!!!!!

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Sat 02-Feb-13 02:28 AM
#19. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 17

US

Eagleman, LOL. Guess that makes you Mr. GBH.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

slopoki1 Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 13th Jun 2012Sun 03-Feb-13 07:05 PM
1269 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

Homestead, US

Only thing better then a eagle grabbing a meal, is you grabbing the eagle grabbing the meal.
Nice capture Scott.
Rick

Visit
http://www.slopoki1.com/Nature

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 11:48 PM
#22. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 20

US

LOL Rick, thank you..

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

ehall Registered since 12th Nov 2012Tue 05-Feb-13 06:32 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

South Orange, US

Hi
Beautiful shot, thanks for sharing, Water and bird fine detail are great.
Emory

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 11:49 PM
#23. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 21

US

Thank you for your kind words Emory.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Tue 05-Feb-13 11:55 PM
5878 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: One from today I liked.........."
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

As usual Scott, very impressive work. Nicely timed.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #151374 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.