Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #150794
View in linear mode

Subject: "Whitecap" Previous topic | Next topic
dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Mon 14-Jan-13 06:23 AM
1493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Whitecap"

Roland, US

I rarely shoot an image up to the standards of this board. This one might make the cut.

David

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Whitecap
rb4good Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
CK Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
massulo Gold Member
15th Jan 2013
vcottman Silver Member
15th Jan 2013
dankeny Gold Member
15th Jan 2013
Lunastar Silver Member
15th Jan 2013

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Mon 14-Jan-13 03:47 PM
4166 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Whitecap"
In response to Reply # 0

Rocky Hill, US

Nicely shot and interesting specimen of whatever it is. I don't recall ever seeing a post of this bird,David.

Rick

CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004Mon 14-Jan-13 11:17 PM
1752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Whitecap"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

Hi David. Thanks for posting -- the picture really does need to be viewed large to see the unique detail in the face and feet.

Have you considered cloning or cropping out the 2 dark spots on the bottom. If I were you I'd also experiment with adding a bit more sky to the left hand side just so that that wing tip isn't clipped by the edge of the frame.

Take care, and keep on clicking!!
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

massulo Gold Member Nikonian since 07th May 2002Tue 15-Jan-13 12:30 AM
10468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Whitecap"
In response to Reply # 0

Tampa/Lutz, US

The wing is easily fixed in CS6 where did you take this strange bird

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D300

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Tue 15-Jan-13 03:41 AM
7183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Whitecap"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

This is an outstanding shot David! What is the bird species?

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Tue 15-Jan-13 07:34 PM
1493 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Whitecap"
In response to Reply # 0

Roland, US

I wanted to post the frame as I caught it. I can work through the issues in PS, but did minimal processing on my 11 inch Mac on the boat. The bird is a Whitecap Albatross, has a wing span about the same as mine, 2 meters. This is taken inside of Shelter Islands on Doubtful Sound (which is actually a Fjord). Albatross are amazing birds. Southern Royals (endangered) are about 50% larger than the Whitecap and have wingspan of 3 meters. I have some pisc of Southern Royals, but nothing like this. I also got some good shots of Shy Albatross off the southern coast of Tassie. Again, nothing this good.

What's wrong with the wing, other than I clipped it slightly. I actually like that fact. It reminds me of where I got the shot--bouncing around on the rear deck with one hand on the boat so I could stand.

David

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Tue 15-Jan-13 11:26 PM
3032 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Whitecap"
In response to Reply # 5

Mankato, US

Very nice-the light coming through the webbed feet is a great addition!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #150794 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.