nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #150680
View in linear mode

Subject: "A few backyard birds" Previous topic | Next topic
jfbacks Silver Member  OFallon, US  Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006 Sun 13-Jan-13 03:36 AM
280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A few backyard birds"
Sun 13-Jan-13 04:06 AM by jfbacks

It was a nice, mildly overcast morning for January and I was getting some decent shots off my back deck when this fellow/gal showed up and rained on my parade. Needless to say every other bird in the neighborhood disappeared. He was close enough that even in portrait mode I had to merge two images to get a full body shot. My guess is a Cooper's Hawk but I'm not sure of the difference between a Sharp-shinned Hawk. All shot with a 400mmf3.5/D300 combo.

Cooper's Hawk?

f8 1/250s iso320

Cooper's Hawk?

f8 1/250 iso320

Red-bellied Woodpecker - I guess Red-headed was already taken

f8 1/500s iso320

Red-breasted Nuthatch

f5.6 1/1000s iso400

Black-capped Chickadee

f5.6 1/800s iso400

Male House Finch

f8 1/200s iso400

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A few backyard birds danshep Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: A few backyard birds cockers Silver Member
13th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: A few backyard birds coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”
13th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: A few backyard birds rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
13th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: A few backyard birds vcottman Silver Member
14th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: A few backyard birds jfbacks Silver Member
14th Jan 2013

danshep Silver Member  Olympia, US  Charter Member Sun 13-Jan-13 06:28 AM
1433 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A few backyard birds"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it's a Cooper's Hawk, too.

Tail has darker stripes, but a white line at the bottom. The head is big and he has a neck, which the sharp-shinned are a bit thin on.

The stripes are darker and more distinct.

All the shots are very nice. Good work.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

cockers Silver Member  Plover, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Sun 13-Jan-13 04:28 PM
4447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A few backyard birds"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 13-Jan-13 04:29 PM by cockers

Great set Jack - well done with the 400 MF!

The detail in the House Finch is exceptional!

Al

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire”   McEwen, US  Nikonian since 01st Dec 2011 Sun 13-Jan-13 08:19 PM
3265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A few backyard birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Great series, and yes I believe that is a Cooper's hawk.

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

rb4good Silver Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Rocky Hill, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Sun 13-Jan-13 10:16 PM
4737 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A few backyard birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Beautiful set of images,Jack. That portrait of the Coopers and the Red-bellied are my favorites. Thanks for posting.

Rick

vcottman Silver Member  Denver, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Mon 14-Jan-13 03:10 AM
7547 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A few backyard birds"
In response to Reply # 0

Great series. The Coopers is absolutely tack sharp and my favorite.

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

jfbacks Silver Member  OFallon, US  Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006 Mon 14-Jan-13 03:14 AM
280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: A few backyard birds"
In response to Reply # 5

Thanks for looking and commenting. I was pretty sure it was a Cooper's Hawk.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #150680 Previous topic | Next topic