Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Wildlife Autofocus Settings???

laurenpretorius

US
9 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
laurenpretorius Registered since 13th Jan 2013
Sun 13-Jan-13 01:24 AM

Hello all!
I am new to the forum and very also new to owning the D600. Prior to my D600 I had gone through a Canon Rebel T2i, and a Nikon D3200. Both of which were great starter cameras that helped me 'learn the ways of the force'. I am an artist and normally work with a paintbrush but am finding myself getting more serious about photography.

As of late, I have been doing a huge amount of research, testing, and practicing with my new D600. I absolutely love it!

BUT! I have a questions that I cannot find an answer to anywhere and have had trouble testing on my own with it being the middle of winter in South Dakota.

I am curious as to what type of autofocus settings you all use for wildlife shooting? I have seen many photographers that all have their own settings that work best for them... and in all honesty I will probably have to find out for myself through more practice.

But I will be heading to South Africa in a couple of months, and hope to be prepared and really don't want to miss any great opportunities by shooting in an autofocus mode that does not really suit...

So here we go:
I have heard a lot of photogs using AF-C with d39 or 9 or even 21
I have also heard of AF-A with 3d tracking
Some keep their settings on AF-S with single point! ???

Most of the animals in the Kruger National Park tend to hold pretty still. But sometimes they are running or flying and you only have a moment to capture them. SO? Maybe just keeping the camera on auto would suit---but I want to be more in control of my shots.

In all of your experience, what do you all suggest? What has worked well for you in similar situations?

And as a last note, do you think that keeping the camera set in Apeture Priority would be sensible?

Thank you all VERY MUCH in advance!
Lauren
www.laurenpretorius.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Wildlife Autofocus Settings???

G