Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #150488
View in linear mode

Subject: "Hooded Merganser pair, set-manual focus BIF" Previous topic | Next topic
D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 07:43 PM
785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Hooded Merganser pair, set-manual focus BIF"

Eugene, US

I caught these at my favorite duck pond last week. These birds are a lot more shy than the mallards, widgeon and ring necks that usually hang out here. They take off quickly, when scared.
D300, 400mm Ai-S, TC14e-II, f3.5

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 10:29 PM
11495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Hooded Merganser pair, set-manual focus BIF"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice work!

It is hard to keep up when they take flight.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 11:36 PM
785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Hooded Merganser pair, set-manual focus BIF"
In response to Reply # 1

Eugene, US

Thanks Dave. Try it with manual focus. It makes every keeper worth that much more. I love the challenge. So what if I take 160 pics and delete 120?

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Wed 09-Jan-13 11:40 PM
6540 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Hooded Merganser pair, set-manual focus BIF"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 10-Jan-13 01:40 AM by Bump57

US

Nice group of images David. I have never photographed either of these, good looking birds.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

D2Xstatic Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2011Wed 09-Jan-13 11:59 PM
#4. "RE: Hooded Merganser pair, set-manual focus BIF"
In response to Reply # 3

Eugene, US

Thanks Scott. The first time one landed right in front of me, I almost couldn't aim and focus. He totally caught me by surprise. Just dropped out of the sky. They are pretty rare.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #150488 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.