nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #150417
View in linear mode

Subject: "Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch" Previous topic | Next topic
treadwl Silver Member  Sunrise, US  Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009 Wed 09-Jan-13 02:17 AM
1790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch"

The photo attached here is of a seldom seen event. When an unattached GBH male is looking to attract a mate he will adopt this very stretched pose reaching to get every inch of height he can achieve while making a "goooo goo" sound. This is followed by several sharp snaps of his beak. Apparently this long lean look is VERY exciting to the ladies. Great Blues will also adopt this stretched look when flying during the mating season. During non-mating periods they generally curve their necks in an "s" shape while in flight, but during mating they really try to elongate their appearance.

D300s with 200-400mm lens, tripod, Sidekick, fill flash ISO 400, F5.6 1/249

Taken on a flat, dull rainy day

Thanks for looking.

Larry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
09th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch Lunastar Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
09th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch vcottman Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
11th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
11th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch VR8 Silver Member
12th Jan 2013

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community   Lowden, US  Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006 Wed 09-Jan-13 02:56 AM
12218 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice work Larry!

That is a pose I have never seen.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Click on image to view larger version
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports |Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2015

Lunastar Silver Member  Mankato, US  Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010 Wed 09-Jan-13 03:25 AM
3346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 09-Jan-13 03:26 AM by Lunastar

Great image and a rare pose! Well done! The light and fill worked very well.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   US  Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007 Wed 09-Jan-13 04:16 AM
6734 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch"
In response to Reply # 0

Interesting Pose you caught Larry. The fill light really helped here, really nice work. The colors look great.

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

vcottman Silver Member  Denver, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Wed 09-Jan-13 11:35 AM
7554 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch"
In response to Reply # 0

Great capture Larry!! I have never seen this pose before. Truly something special!

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.   Mississauga, CA  Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007 Fri 11-Jan-13 01:16 AM
6145 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch"
In response to Reply # 0

Great study shot, nicely composed and good use of fill flash Larry. Love the blue lores they develop close to breeding season.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Tampa/Lutz, US  Nikonian since 07th May 2002 Fri 11-Jan-13 04:22 AM
11038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch"
In response to Reply # 0

Simply wonderful... I will keep my eyes open for this event.....

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D610

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

VR8 Silver Member  Ottawa, CA  Nikonian since 04th May 2008 Sat 12-Jan-13 09:47 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Great Blue Heron Mating Stretch"
In response to Reply # 0

Great shot and thanks for the background!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #150417 Previous topic | Next topic