nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #150298
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fighting Harriers" Previous topic | Next topic
psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Tue 08-Jan-13 12:26 AM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fighting Harriers"

On the drive back to Orem late Sunday morning I drove by a small stream in Provo and found a female Harrier feeding on a recent kill. She had no issues with me shooting from the car from about 70 feet away. While I was enjoying the find the male dropped in to snag a bite and the two squabbled a bit before the female flew off. But all she did was circle a couple times and came right back to duke it out. She forced the male away...but he eventually came back and took what was left off into the snow to finish the meal. Great fun watching these two argue...

Nikon D300S with Nikon 300mm 2.8 and Nikon 1.4 TC

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)
Attachment #7, (jpg file)
Attachment #8, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fighting Harriers cockers Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Fighting Harriers psf914
08th Jan 2013
09th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Fighting Harriers Photosage Silver Member
08th Jan 2013
09th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Fighting Harriers vcottman Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
09th Jan 2013
     Reply message RE: Fighting Harriers kenray Silver Member
11th Jan 2013
11th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Fighting Harriers massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
11th Jan 2013
11th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Fighting Harriers Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.
11th Jan 2013
11th Jan 2013
Reply message RE: Fighting Harriers Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images.
12th Jan 2013
12th Jan 2013

cockers Silver Member  Plover, US  Nikonian since 25th May 2006 Tue 08-Jan-13 01:31 PM
4447 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow! Excellent and very interesting set Peter!

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Tue 08-Jan-13 07:27 PM
3063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Al

With a fresh meal at foot and the weather as cold as it's been I'm sure the only reason this one would have departed when I arrived is if I had presented any kind of substantial threat. This went on for 15 minutes so it was a real treat watching this couple interact. I was also surprised to see the difference in size between the larger female and her partner. I don't think the male was a juvenile. Now I'm hoping to get up north during the migration of eagles thru here and add a couple nice closeups of Balds to the library.

cheers
Peter

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Wed 09-Jan-13 08:35 PM
#5. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks Al,

There must have been something with the planets alligning just right this day because I'd already found the Golden Eagle out west of this location earlier in the day and then these two. Can't ask for anymore than that. I forgot one shot in the series that I've added here of the male taking off the first time. Both birds managed to chase the other away a couple times each during the show..lots of fun.

Peter

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Photosage Silver Member  Bellingham, WA, US  Nikonian since 12th Sep 2009 Tue 08-Jan-13 07:47 PM
125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 0

A great series, Peter, with an interesting look at them interacting.
The females are noticably larger than the males that is an adult male. I was fortunate enough once to shoot a series where the male was eating and the female swooped down and the male took off and did not return. She enjoyed the rest of the meal. Thanks for posting.

Ron

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Wed 09-Jan-13 08:37 PM
#6. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks Ron

I think this is the first time I've seen a female Harrier. I've seen lots of the males all over Kansas and California. Great to see the two side by side and compare the differences.

Peter

vcottman Silver Member  Denver, US  Nikonian since 22nd May 2006 Wed 09-Jan-13 12:06 PM
7544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 0

Outstanding series Peter! What a unique experience! #1 is my favorite shot. Love the series!

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Wed 09-Jan-13 08:39 PM
#7. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks Vaughn

I'ts interesting because for the first few months I was on this job I saw very few birds. Now that winter has set in I'm seeing all sorts of them. And with the temperatures being so cold now...lots of waterfowl are gathering in any open water they can find so I'm going to be on the lookout for some I haven't photographed before.

cheers
Peter

kenray Silver Member  Green Valley, US  Nikonian since 10th Oct 2008 Fri 11-Jan-13 02:20 AM
217 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 7

Absolutely beautiful sequence as are almost all your shots.I think I started following your contributions when you were in the Kingman,Az area several years ago.I have been an avid birder and photographer for well over 50 years and believe it or not I have NEVER seen a MALE Harrier. Congratulations on the sequence. I have a hard time deciding whether I like your wildlife or landscapes most. Both are equally as well done. I think what impresses me most is you seem to be able to do most of it from your car. Being somewhat handicapped with arthritis this gives me encouragement to drive more.

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Fri 11-Jan-13 12:34 PM
#11. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 8

Thanks for the nice comments Ken

My cars over the years have always doubled as a portable blind. I think a lot of subscribers to this forum will agree. Shooting from the car works like a charm. I've seen adult hawks that won't let you get within 50 yards of them sit still for photos when I've pulled up in my car. And everyone that does this has their own setup for shooting. More to come and good shooting.

Peter

massulo Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Tampa/Lutz, US  Nikonian since 07th May 2002 Fri 11-Jan-13 04:26 AM
11026 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 0

wow.. they look like big bird and mean too

Preston-(The Tampa Nikonian)..D610

-One does not know what one is missing - until you miss it..

My Website

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Fri 11-Jan-13 12:36 PM
#12. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 9

Hi Preston

Yea...these are some interesting meat eaters. I've watched them hunt, be attacked by other raptors and now fight over a meal as a couple. Getting to know the Harrier family pretty well.

Peter

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional.   Vantaa, FI  Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009 Fri 11-Jan-13 07:07 AM
2577 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 0

A very nice series and an interesting story to go with it.

Regards, Antero

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Fri 11-Jan-13 12:38 PM
#13. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks Antero

This was a real treat. Even after I got out of my car to shoot across the roof they stayed put. And catching them on the same day as I did that Golden Eagle...well..for me that was like winning the lottery

onwards and upwards

Peter

Hans Ztz Silver Member Awarded for his outstandig Landscape Images.   Regensburg, DE  Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2009 Sat 12-Jan-13 05:35 PM
1135 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 0

Really great shots - very well done!

Ciao - Hans (Bavaria/Germany)

psf914   Traverse City, US  Registered since 11th Oct 2007 Sat 12-Jan-13 09:41 PM
#15. "RE: Fighting Harriers"
In response to Reply # 14

Thanks Hans

Winter has turned out to be the best birding season here in Utah. I saw very little during the fall..but the birds seem to be everywhere now. Nice to find this pair. Just found a spot where bald eagles hang out during the winter near Utah Lake so I hope to get some decent shots of them soon.

cheers
Peter

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION Wildlife (Public) topic #150298 Previous topic | Next topic