nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #150211
View in linear mode

Subject: "Finally > L&D 14 eagles" Previous topic | Next topic
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 07-Jan-13 05:14 AM
11752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Finally > L&D 14 eagles"

Lowden, US

I finally had a chance to get down to Lock and Dam 14 and meet up with Dave and Scott for some eagle shooting.

Last year was a poor year due to an unusually warm winter here in Iowa. This year was not looking good until we had a big snow storm in late December followed by a long spell of very cold weather. The rivers froze quickly forcing the eagles to the much larger unfrozen Mississippi to feed. The navigation Dams give the eagles a particularly bountiful feeding area as the fish that come through the dam are temporarily stunned. Of all the places on the Mississippi, Lock and Dam 14 provides some of the best waterside access with large perching trees in front of and behind the shooting location.

D300s | 400/2.8 VR + TC-14E
f/4 | 1/1600s | ISO-200

This one is framed by the Dam in the background.

f/4 | 1/5000s | ISO-200

f/4 | 1/1250s | ISO-200

We had quit a few juvenile birds out today. They are often difficult to shoot due to the dark feathers but some nice light today really helped.

f/4 | 1/2500s | ISO-200

f/4 | 1/4000s | ISO-200

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles
Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
07th Jan 2013
efd123 Silver Member
07th Jan 2013
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
07th Jan 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
07th Jan 2013
07th Jan 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
09th Jan 2013
rscook
09th Jan 2013
09th Jan 2013
Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography.
09th Jan 2013
09th Jan 2013
vcottman Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
09th Jan 2013
cockers Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
09th Jan 2013
treadwl Silver Member
09th Jan 2013
09th Jan 2013
backpacker24 Silver Member
10th Jan 2013
10th Jan 2013
mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography
11th Jan 2013
11th Jan 2013

Bump57 Silver Member Awarded for his high skill level in Landscape and Nature Photography and willingness to share his learning experiences to help others. Donor Ribbon awarded for his support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 01st Apr 2007Mon 07-Jan-13 06:01 AM
6651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 07-Jan-13 01:54 PM by Bump57

US

Wonderful to see you again Dave. You needed some mm's today for sure. All are nice images but I really like #2. I tried for those all day since they were so far out there. I got two that I like and will post up later. I like the pose of your catch better though. Mine was a young bird and his face is kind of dark. I will probably skip next weekend and try for the following. Hope it stays cool...

Scott Martin Sternberg

Scotts Fine Art

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 07-Jan-13 06:12 PM
11752 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 1

Lowden, US

Next weekend will probably be even more crowded with Eagle days in the Quad Cities and fairly warm weather. It could be in the 40’s or 50’s Friday and Saturday. It looks like the weather guessers think it will get cold again the following week.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

efd123 Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jan 2009Mon 07-Jan-13 12:21 PM
412 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Eldridge, US

I agree with Scott, I like both #2& #4. I've always liked the shots with the dam in the background.

Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 07-Jan-13 06:14 PM
#5. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

Thanks Dave!

The area they were fishing was good for capturing the dam behind them.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Mon 07-Jan-13 03:09 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Dave wonderful images. I enjoy your eagle shots you capture them in the right moment. I like them all but number 2 with the red, white and blue dam in the back ground is my favorite.

I live close to L&D 24 and hope that this year it gets cold enough so that the eagles will have come to the dam. If not I may make a trip to L&D 14 this winter.

Great shooting.

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 07-Jan-13 06:20 PM
#6. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 3

Lowden, US

Thank you John!

I have always heard good things about Eagles at Alton, IL (is that L&D 24?) but I don’t know how the access to the river is in that area. If we have some good cold weather and sun it would be worth a drive up. Our best time of the day is from about noon until sunset. Let us (Dave E, Scott or me) know if you decide to make a trip up.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Wed 09-Jan-13 02:02 AM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 6

Troy, US

Hi Dave, L&D 24 is at Clarksville Missouri. Alton is a ways south of there. Been there but not for the eagles. I don't know were to shoot at Alton. If the weather looks like it will favor I will definitely make the trip. It won't be that far.

Thanks,
John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

rscook Registered since 20th Feb 2007Wed 09-Jan-13 03:15 AM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 7

Iowa City, US

Great shots Dave really like number 2. Thanks for the heads up by you and Scott about this weekend. I think we will pass if it is going to be that busy.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 11:23 PM
#13. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 8

Lowden, US

Thanks Sandra!

I wouldn’t expect much action this weekend anyway with the warm weather and rain. I may try abain on Tuesday and the following weekend.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Wed 09-Jan-13 03:21 AM
6108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

A marvellous series Dave - I assume you weren't in your kayak!

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 11:24 PM
#14. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 9

Lowden, US

Thanks Richard!

No kayak this time of the year.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 11:44 AM
7357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Great shot Dave! I wish I could have gotten there this year. Maybe next year.

Good shootin'

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 11:25 PM
#15. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 10

Lowden, US

Thanks Vaughn!

Hopefully we will catch up with you one of these years.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 01:45 PM
4361 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Plover, US

Excellent set Dave.

Al

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 11:25 PM
#16. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 11

Lowden, US

Thanks Al!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

treadwl Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 09-Jan-13 02:50 PM
1743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Sunrise, US

Some really nice work here. Some day I have got to get to L&D 14, even if it is cold.

Love these shots.

Larry

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Wed 09-Jan-13 11:27 PM
#17. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 12

Lowden, US

Thank you Larry!

It is usually very cold when the eagles are out. Just layer a bunch of cloths – the parking lot is close if you need to take a break to warm up.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

backpacker24 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Thu 10-Jan-13 04:53 AM
74 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#18. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevada, US

Hi Dave,

Great work! I've enjoyed your work here for some time. I live near Ames, IA, and have been wanting to make a trip to L & D 14 for some time, due largely to seeing your photos.

I am thinking of making a trip over some time in the next week or so. It would be great to meet you or some other Nikonians over there, if you could stand the company.

Craig

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 10-Jan-13 06:38 PM
#19. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 18

Lowden, US

Thanks Craig!

Come on down – the company is welcome. This is one of the only times that I shoot wildlife with a group of photographers. There will likely be some Nikonians at the dam on the weekend of the 19th. The hard part is figuring out who is who as it can get a bit crowded. I usually wear a brown camo hooded coat and pants and have a camo lens coat on my big lens.

It is supposed to get cold again this Sunday so it could be a good day if the sun is out. I have to work so I won’t be there this weekend.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

mnbuilder49 Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, especially in Interiors Architecture, Landscape and HDR Photography Nikonian since 18th Apr 2006Fri 11-Jan-13 01:12 PM
4469 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 0

Lakeville, US

Very well done Dave. They are very sharp.

Larry
http://www.larryandersonphotography.com
http://www.andersonmasterbuilders.com

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 11-Jan-13 10:25 PM
#21. "RE: Finally > L&D 14 eagles"
In response to Reply # 20

Lowden, US

Thank you Larry!

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa

Nikonians membership -

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #150211 Previous topic | Next topic