Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Costa Rican Hummingbirds

Rassie

Milton, CA
3483 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Rassie Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006
Sun 06-Jan-13 04:34 PM | edited Sun 06-Jan-13 04:36 PM by Rassie

There is a series of waterfalls called La Pas near San José, the capital city of Costa Rica. At the main reception area they have a butterfly conservatory, displays of jungle cats and snakes and birds, as well as a garden full of hummingbirds. This is truly a nice place to visit since it offers options to the photographer that covers landscapes, wild life (confined), birding, close-up and macro, etc.

There was a wide variety of hummingbirds visiting the feeders that had been set up. Many hummers were not shy, but one specific one, the Violet Sabrewing (the largest of all), was really shy. It would only drink from the opposite side of the feeder, away from people. And it would not stay still for long at all - a difficult subject to shoot. Most of the few keepers I got of this bird were shot by having to pre-focus manually on a spot and shoot when the bird occupied that space. It would otherwise not sit still long enough for autofocus to lock.

It was raining at the time, so the pictures also show raindrops captured while falling.

The first two pictures are of the Violet Sabrewing. The last one is of a bird which I have not been able to figure out the species. Any help with identification will be appreciated.

D7000 with Nikkor 18-200 mm VR11.
ISO 400, F/9, 1/60 sec, fill flash.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on the pictures for larger gallery versions.

My Nikonians gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G