Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #149791
View in linear mode

Subject: "Birds in Flight" Previous topic | Next topic
jfitzg14 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2012Wed 02-Jan-13 03:24 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Birds in Flight"

US

I was using my D300 with a 300mmf2.8 VRII and a 2.0III teleconverter, this weekend. I was mainly shooting a flycatcher on a fence post. I was getting some nice handheld shots. A Northern Harrier was flying across the field and I switched to the hawk. Unfortunately, I could not get a good focus on the bird. I took many shots and All were way out of focus or very soft. Does the teleconverter affect the focus or was I doing something wrong? I am new to birds in flight. I will attach a picture. Thanks.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Birds in Flight
VR8 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
Lunastar Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
VR8 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
rb4good Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
VR8 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
danshep Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Lunastar Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 03:42 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

You may wish to read this:

http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-tc-20e-iii

There is lot of info on tele-converters on Nikonians.

However, without your data - Fstop and shutter speed few will be able to answer all of your questions.

Hope this helps.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Wed 02-Jan-13 03:56 PM
2919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 02-Jan-13 04:07 PM by Lunastar

Mankato, US

You will be hard pressed to get great images at 600mm handheld without tons of practice and good technique. My experience says that once focal length goes past 400mm the amount of sharp handheld keepers goes down dramatically. Also, the 20TC is agonizingly slow to focus, it hunts badly when focus is lost-I would suggest using a 14TC as that barely affects focus speed. Keep shutter speed to 1/1000 at the minimum and try to shoot at f5.6 to f8 for greater depth of field and focus accuracy. To help maintain shutter speed don't be afraid to crank the ISO up to 500, 640 or even 800. I see you were at 1/2500 and f7.1 so those settings were right on.

Shooting birds in flight takes practice but it's very rewarding when you nail it! Many photographers use only the central focal point, use af-c (continuous focus) and try to keep that focus point on the bird's head or wing butt so that the eyes are sharp. You must also learn to pan and fire with the bird.

Lastly, learn about the bird's habits and get closer by concealing yourself in natural blinds or get a commercially made blind. Birds see in full color and some raptors can see prey 8 miles away! Do an internet search on bird in flight photography and you will find a plethora of info. Practicing on semi-tame birds like pigeons and seagulls will strengthen technique.

Good Luck!

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 04:18 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 2

Ottawa, CA

How did you find the exif data? I must be missing something

Victor

rb4good Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 02-Jan-13 09:43 PM
4023 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 3

Rocky Hill, US

Victor,If you have an EXIF reader loaded on your computer than images that have the info embedded can be right clicked to reveal that info. One of these is Opanda (there are others)

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/download.htm

Rick

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 09:56 PM
#5. "RE: Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 4

Ottawa, CA

Will look for that runs on Mac.

I was speaking to a birder today who also said the TC 2iie was not ideal. But he liked the 1.7.

Thanks

Victor

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 03-Jan-13 07:45 AM
2488 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu 03-Jan-13 07:46 AM by Antero52

Vantaa, FI

Victor: “How did you find the exif data?”

Rick: “an EXIF reader … One of these is Opanda…”

Victor’s profile shows that he already has an EXIF reader. Photoshop (Elements will do as well). Get to File Info and Advanced tab. You’ll find tons of interesting information.

Best regads, Antero

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberThu 03-Jan-13 05:05 AM
1232 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

I have always liked a 2.0, which for years was on my D2h and an 80-200 2.8.

Your biggest problem will be steadiness, so I always carried the aforementioned on a good, sturdy tripod.

Nowadays, my D2h is on a 1.4 with a 500mm. Most certainly with a tripod. But when I become elderly, I will resort to bench pressing it over my head!

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lunastar Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Jan 2010Thu 03-Jan-13 11:03 AM
2919 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Birds in Flight"
In response to Reply # 6

Mankato, US

If you are just starting out shooting birds you may want to take a day class from expert birder Andy Nguyen. He is also a Floridian and lives in the Orlando area. Check him out at wildwingsphotography.com and click on workshops.

Mark

www.mercuryoutdoorcommunications.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #149791 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.