Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #149771
View in linear mode

Subject: "UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun." Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 02-Jan-13 11:01 AM
3348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
Thu 03-Jan-13 07:09 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

It's courtship time on a dull, dank winters day using my D800 + 300mm f4 + SB800 Speedlight save the day. They were on my roof showing off.

First pictures shows what I got with a flashgun synched at 1/250. The third without flash against a cloudy white sky.

Richard

Nikon D800 1/250 @ f6.3 IS0800 EV -3

Nikon D800 1/250 @ f8 ISO1000 Ev -3

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gu...
vcottman Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
jot2nik Gold Member
02nd Jan 2013
VR8 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
af4nc Gold Member
03rd Jan 2013
Dubes Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
Antero52 Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013

vcottman Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd May 2006Wed 02-Jan-13 12:44 PM
7217 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Nice series Richard.

Vaughn

A Mile High Nikonian

Photography: It's not what I do for a living---It's what I do for Life!
www.vcottman.zenfolio.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jot2nik Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jul 2007Wed 02-Jan-13 02:44 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
In response to Reply # 0

Troy, US

Very colorful. Nice shooting

John

Visit my Nikonian Gallery

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 02-Jan-13 07:53 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

What an opportunity, great photos!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

af4nc Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Jul 2007Thu 03-Jan-13 12:40 AM
3194 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
In response to Reply # 0

Yardley, US

Nice capture

Tom MILLS
Its all about the light and composition
My best investment is my Nikonians membership.
af4nc@msn.com
www.tommills.zenfolio.com

Dubes Silver Member Awarded for his high level of achievement and willingness to help others – most notably in wildlife photography. Nikonian since 16th Jun 2007Thu 03-Jan-13 06:50 PM
5994 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
In response to Reply # 0

Mississauga, CA

As already mentioned Richard, a great opportunity presented to you.
I haven't looked a the EXIF data on your images, but something puzzles me. If the first 2 exposures were strictly created by the flash, in number 1, I'd expect the front of the roof line to be severely overexposed being closer to the flash; and number 2, the tree in the background on the second exposure appears to have fairly decent exposure, but is considerably further away from the flash.
What kind of metering did you use?
I've had a lot of luck using spot metering and locking exposure on the subject (plus shooting at anywhere between +0.3 to +1 EV) when shooting against a white/gray overcast sky.

Please Visit My Gallery and my website at www.richarddubiel.com
Richard

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 03-Jan-13 07:16 PM
3348 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

I have now included the exif data above images 1 & 2. I recon distance to Peacocks approx 30ft, to the trees behind 45ft. Colour matrix and single point focus.

It is surprising that so much is well exposed at an EV setting of -3, this was not intentional and I had left it there from the shoot the day before.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Antero52 Silver Member Awarded for his expertise in post-processing, being  consistently helpful and professional. Nikonian since 07th Jul 2009Thu 03-Jan-13 07:18 PM
2508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
In response to Reply # 0

Vantaa, FI

Wow! Peacocks on your roof. The "best" we've ever had was a pheasant in our backyard some years ago. It was handsome but so was the noize it made every morning.

Did you you TTL-BL?

Regards, Antero

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 03-Jan-13 07:38 PM
#8. "RE: UK winter weather - Peacocks, a D800 and a flash gun."
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 03-Jan-13 07:39 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Thanks

There is an interesting thread at http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=21041#21161 discussing aspects of flash with bird photography.

One poster says "Standard SB800 provides a bit of fill out to nearly 60 feet I often use it for small garden birds at around 15 to 30 feet (5 to 10 meters)

This fits in with what I have achieved I think with the exception of the bid sizes.

Richard

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #149771 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.