Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #149756
View in linear mode

Subject: "tips for backyard bird photos?" Previous topic | Next topic
coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 02-Jan-13 01:10 AM
2975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"tips for backyard bird photos?"

McEwen, US

After the chaos of holidays, I'm getting set up to do some backyard bird photos. Last winter I was often frustrated by poor backgrounds, twigs in the way, and unattractive elements in the picture.

So I've ordered a pop-up blind that I can easily move as needed, or leave in the same spot for a while.

I got some ultra-flat spray paint (intended for camoflage painting) to paint the post and underside of my bird-feeder a natural brown, so if it's in a background there won't be a shiny metal thing sticking out like a sore thumb.

I'm going to make a suet/woodpecker feeder, by drilling holes in a downed limb and filling with suet, and hanging it below the regular feeder.

Also ran across this great info on setting up to photograph birds near a feeder:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Backyard-Bird-Photography-Setup-Tips.aspx

This gives some good ideas on how to position perches, some good ideas for varying materials, and tips on position relative to the feeder.

Any other suggestions/tips for success in the backyard?

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: tips for backyard bird photos?
nwcs Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
nwcs Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
Tallow Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
02nd Jan 2013
dclarhorn Moderator
03rd Jan 2013
danshep Silver Member
03rd Jan 2013
coolmom42 Silver Member
04th Jan 2013

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 02-Jan-13 01:12 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: tips for backyard bird photos?"

Knoxville, US

I came across that same site and it looks good. For people who know Moose Peterson he has a publication called BT Journal. The iPad version had a free download specifically on backyard bird photography and had tons of tips. His blog has some great stuff about it, too.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 02-Jan-13 01:12 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: tips for backyard bird photos?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I came across that same site and it looks good. For people who know Moose Peterson he has a publication called BT Journal. The iPad version had a free download specifically on backyard bird photography and had tons of tips. His blog has some great stuff about it, too.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 02-Jan-13 01:18 AM
2975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: tips for backyard bird photos?"
In response to Reply # 1

McEwen, US

Googling it now! Thanks!

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

Tallow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2009Wed 02-Jan-13 03:02 AM
912 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: tips for backyard bird photos?"
In response to Reply # 0

Niagara-on-the-Lake, CA

very nice site. Have you checked Alan Murphy's site?

Dave

Visit my 500px gallery.

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Wed 02-Jan-13 04:23 AM
#4. "RE: tips for backyard bird photos?"
In response to Reply # 3

McEwen, US

I just looked at it, and am VERY impressed. Lots of great ideas there. His idea of a ramp up to a perch for ground birds is wonderful----I will try it for doves (and of course squirrels, too!)

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Thu 03-Jan-13 03:51 AM
14234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: tips for backyard bird photos?"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

I take a lot of bird pictures in my backyard. I also built my own platform feeder, but I place branches on it. That allows me to take natural looking pictures of birds on branches right where they are going to feed. It works great!

By watching the birds for some time, I know that they will always perch in a nearby tree first before they go to the feeder. So, I can also concentrate on certain trees and branches and eventually, and quite regularly, they will perch where I'm looking and I'm ready to shoot.

I haven't needed to use a blind because if you're patient and stay in one place for a while, the birds get used to you and ignore you. Having done this for a while, I know the best places to set up for good backgrounds and settings.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

danshep Silver Member Charter MemberThu 03-Jan-13 04:43 AM
1313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: tips for backyard bird photos?"
In response to Reply # 0

Olympia, US

There can be a lot of "down time" when the birds are not as active. Be sure to watch the birds. Each kind has its own special habits.

I have a couple bird feeders, with mixes of seeds, which cater to different species.

My feeder has sunflower seeds mostly, with some millet and peanuts. I get Chickadees, Juncos, Jays, grosbeaks, Flickers and more.

But there are those birds, who I see on the ground and not in the feeder, like White-crowned sparrows, towhees, quail.

My feeder is on a black post, between an ornamental plum tree and a large bush (a burning bush). The bush is green, until fall, when it turns into reds, orange and yellows.

Planting some favorites of other birds will bring hummingbirds for crocosmia, hanging plants like fuchsias.

If you want birds, you learn to make your yard look like THEY want.

With all those birds, you probably will get some hawks, too.

"Today is the tomorrow that yesterday you spent money like there was no"

coolmom42 Silver Member Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011Fri 04-Jan-13 11:37 PM
#7. "RE: tips for backyard bird photos?"
In response to Reply # 6

McEwen, US

I had a hawk last winter--either a Cooper's or sharp-shinned, not sure which. Just saw it once, but evidence of it a couple of times. Also had a neighborhood cat, which I discouraged by throwing things at it. Haven't seen either this year.

One of my long-term plans is to turn a good bit of one end of my yard into a wildlife habitat.

Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR VISION - BY SPECIALTY Wildlife (Public) topic #149756 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.