nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

tips for backyard bird photos?

coolmom42

McEwen, US
3759 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
coolmom42 Moderator Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011
Wed 02-Jan-13 01:10 AM

After the chaos of holidays, I'm getting set up to do some backyard bird photos. Last winter I was often frustrated by poor backgrounds, twigs in the way, and unattractive elements in the picture.

So I've ordered a pop-up blind that I can easily move as needed, or leave in the same spot for a while.

I got some ultra-flat spray paint (intended for camoflage painting) to paint the post and underside of my bird-feeder a natural brown, so if it's in a background there won't be a shiny metal thing sticking out like a sore thumb.

I'm going to make a suet/woodpecker feeder, by drilling holes in a downed limb and filling with suet, and hanging it below the regular feeder.

Also ran across this great info on setting up to photograph birds near a feeder:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Photography-Tips/Backyard-Bird-Photography-Setup-Tips.aspx

This gives some good ideas on how to position perches, some good ideas for varying materials, and tips on position relative to the feeder.

Any other suggestions/tips for success in the backyard?

working on it in Middle TN
Nikon D3100

35 mm 1.8 Nikkor
18-55 mm Nikkor VR
55-200 mm Nikkor VR
55-300 mm Nikkor VR
150-500 mm Sigma OS
Feisol CT3471 & Markins M20 ballhead

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: tips for backyard bird photos?

G